My layout got lost

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
NorrinRadd

My layout got lost

Post by NorrinRadd »

I had The Word customized to my liking, and suddenly all that customization vanished. Is there an easy way to recover it?

I had my Bible translations organized, my dictionaries and commentaries categorized in groups, a useful arrangement of windows, etc. -- all gone.
NorrinRadd

Re: My layout got lost

Post by NorrinRadd »

When I go to View -> Layouts, there are two listings under "My Layouts," but neither has any effect when selected.

Are they stored somewhere? Are backups kept somewhere? Is there a way to recover them?
JG

Post by JG »

Files that contain such data are
config.ini
my.lyts.twm

For a normal installation they should be in your users data folder C:\Users\your user name goes here\AppData\Roaming\The Word

There is no automatic backup of these files..... so unless you have backups your data is lost.

I must admit, I don't know how this situation can happen for no reason.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

*sigh*

Ok, will the date stamps on those files show when they were originally created, or last modified, or what? The my.lyts.twm file I find is over five years old, but my most elaborate and time-consuming customizations were only about a year old.

And thanks!

(BTW, I think what happened was a mishap in the course of some housecleaning. I'd noticed a second "Books" subfolder under the usual Books subfolder. I saw no reason to have things nested that deep, so I moved the contents of the nested Books to the parent Books and deleted the empty folder. But on doing a search, I see that the my.lyts.twm file is in the Books subfolder. I would not have expected that. I would have expected configuration files to be in the main The Word folder, or in a special subfolder. Anyway, it's likely that's how it got hosed.)
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Normally it is not in the Books folder so perhaps an accidental move. It is hard when layout is lost.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

jonathangkoehn wrote:Normally it is not in the Books folder so perhaps an accidental move. It is hard when layout is lost.
That seemed like an odd place for it, and I don't know how that would have happened.

Where does it belong? Main "The Word" folder?