Analytic Septuagint with morphology tags

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
Rodrigo Samy

Re: Analytic Septuagint with morphology tags

Post by Rodrigo Samy »

RubioTerra wrote:This thread have forked into two different topics:
  • Accented LXX + morphology: I do have a working bible module and a companion dictionary. You can get it here.
  • An analytical Greek dictionary based on Perseus data: I also have a working module, but it's quite big (over 500MB). I started experimenting a little with JG's suggestion to use linked topics. It's done, but I didn't test it.
That is great, Rubio. Is the versification still an issue, or is it already fixed? Since I consult the LXX very often, I may annotate and notify you about any issue I find.

As for the analytical Greek dictionary, is it meant to work in TheWord as any other dictionary? 500 MB sounds a little heavy for my machine, but given the relevance of the project, I might test it throughout my works, and provide some feedback from a user perspective.

Thanks again.

Rodrigo Samy
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

Rodrigo Samy wrote:Is the versification still an issue, or is it already fixed? Since I consult the LXX very often, I may annotate and notify you about any issue I find.
I've used a convertion table Costas provided me with in order to create a KJV compatible module. One potential problem is that this table is at a verse level, but I'm understand the LXX-Massoretic alignment is sometimes at word level. Since I did not validate the whole module manually, I cannot give you a satisfactory answer about its accuracy. The source material does include the whole LXX text, if any one would like to try a manual approach.
Rodrigo Samy wrote:As for the analytical Greek dictionary, is it meant to work in TheWord as any other dictionary? 500 MB sounds a little heavy for my machine, but given the relevance of the project, I might test it throughout my works, and provide some feedback from a user perspective.
This is the classical Greek Perseus dictionary not a Koine Greek dictionary, so I imagine this has a slightly different use. It has a better chance to help you with any Greek text, provided it covers all classical Greek corpus.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
Rodrigo Samy

Post by Rodrigo Samy »

RubioTerra wrote:I've used a convertion table Costas provided me with in order to create a KJV compatible module. One potential problem is that this table is at a verse level, but I'm understand the LXX-Massoretic alignment is sometimes at word level. Since I did not validate the whole module manually, I cannot give you a satisfactory answer about its accuracy. The source material does include the whole LXX text, if any one would like to try a manual approach.
Rúbio, that is already a great start! Insofar it is aligned at verse level, no major problems will arise. I have to say I already installed the file, and it works great. It has some "magic" in that it has no Strong numbers, but by clicking any word it usually recognizes the lemma that is attached to it. I think I have read something about such feature, but it is the first module I get using that, and it is simply great.
I cannot validate the whole module manually, but since I have a work to do throughout all Psalms through at least some months, I may check them in particular, being one book where major differences in numbering arise. If you think that is workable, I can annotate any issue I find in the Psalms (or elsewhere, although not thoroughly), giving you some user feedback.

Please speak your mind whether this is workable or not, and by what means.
Anytime, pm me if you want.
RubioTerra wrote:This is the classical Greek Perseus dictionary not a Koine Greek dictionary, so I imagine this has a slightly different use. It has a better chance to help you with any Greek text, provided it covers all classical Greek corpus.
That is great too! I use a lot Liddell-Scott lexicon (aka Great Scott), either through Diogenes software, or through its theWord dictionary module, or through Perseus site. It would be wonderful to have it working within theWord and recognizing any inflected word, not only the lemmas. If one works with the LXX, it is THE main source to supply whatever LXX word lacking in Strong NT numbers, and it is very helpful in any deeper word study on NT words.

I am ready to test it, no matter the 500 MB size, and give you some user feedback throughout my work. Since I am used to consult Great Scott through several interfaces, I could provide some user user feedback from the point of view of usability, user-friendliness and so forth. Insofar I am able to install it and get it working well enough, I will be using it on a regular basis.

Have you any link to download the module? I am ready to begin using it, like, yesterday. If you do prefer to keep it private while in preliminar testing, pm me anytime you want. Thanks God I have now more regular access to Internet and may be able to go through testing it and providing feedback, since it would be an axial tool through my works.

Thank you for sharing your work, sorry for past projects I was not able to go ahead with.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

I'm so sorry for the long delay in the response. I've upload the Perseus dictionary to wordmodules.com.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I don't know if this the correct lace for this, but I am trying to get Diogenes to work. I have Perseus working and the awesome module that Jonathan built, and these work very well. I wanted to get Diogenes working, but cannot figure how tie it to a database! Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Darrel
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Oh this cool! I have Diogenes working AND hyperlinked into TW.

I created a generic mode, gave a topic name of "Diogenes", gave the hyperlink text of "Click HERE then paste the search item" (where in my case only the word "HERE" is hyperlinked. The actual hyperlink value for "HERE" is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diogenes\diogenes.exe".

Now the way I use the tool is to select a Greek word, copy that word to the clipboard, click the hyperlink to start Diogenes.

Now I click my desired action, paste the saved word into the search box and click "Go". This link "https://ntgreeketal.com/2020/10/24/diog ... ding-tool/" is a good read on the tool AND explains how to install it.

You can perform various searches, word lookups, and a host of other things. When you click a word in the search results, Diogenes opens a second panel and showing a bunch more data.

Now we have Perseus, Grkanlexmorph, but now we Diogenes!

Darrel