Adding titles

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
DarrelW

Adding titles

Post by DarrelW »

When I try to update titles via the "Add titles" button it opens the Download Books and Bibles page, but when I click on a title (like Utleys 'You Can Understand the Bible') I get the message stating the file is not a known file type or archive. This happens for updating and adding new titles. Can you fix this?

Darrel
JG

Re: Adding titles

Post by JG »

Are we talking about Linux?

If so can someone confirm the issue or what you had to do to resolve it.

If you are talking Windows, I know this was an issue in the distant past when the feature was being developed but until now we have not received any reports like this.

Any help will be appreciated at this time.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I'm using Linux and have no problem.

I even downloaded a premium module I haven't paid for, and it went as expected, downloaded fine and asked for a registration key when I restarted.

Then I downloaded a Thai Bible that I don't even have fonts for. It downloaded and installed fine, other than the letters are all a bunch of squares, which is expected. I was just trying to find a way to confuse the installer and couldn't.

(I'm on MX Linux 18.3_X64, and theWord Beta 1498)
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I changed permissions on my Book folder to read only, and got a message that the module couldn't be installed after it downloaded. So that doesn't seem to be it.

My other idea is to go to the Book folder, or wherever your modules are stored, right-click on a commentary module, and see what choices it gives you to open with. Maybe you need to set the default application to open with or something? (My default seems to be "DB Browser for SQLite", but I'm sure you don't have to have that exact app installed.)

Just an idea, I could be way off.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Jon and Jeff, Thanks to both of you for responding. I have run Linux for 8 or 9 years now, and TW has always performed beautifully running in Wine. Recently I have upgraded and been running Ubuntu Mate 20.04, starting from its beta to the released version. Wine installs a bit different on version 20.04, and when I installed it the first time I missed a couple of pieces (namely the piece allow .exe files to execute). This link describes the process that works perfectly (https://linuxconfig.org/install-wine-on ... ossa-linux).
I can now download modules from download modules link and they install just like they should! So as I usually find, it was not an issue with TW but an issue with me. :oops:

Darrel