Error in Strong's number

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
rdwray

Error in Strong's number

Post by rdwray »

Proverbs 1:21 has Strong's number for "concourse" as "H1993" and it should be "H6607".
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
“For My yoke [is] easy and My burden is light.”
JG

Re: Error in Strong's number

Post by JG »

Looks correct according to Strong's concordance, and other resources.
Strong's H1993.jpg
Strong's H1993.jpg (280.3 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Strong's H1993

- Original: המה
- Transliteration: Hamah
- Phonetic: haw-maw'
- Definition:
1. to murmur, growl, roar, cry aloud, mourn, rage, sound, make noise, tumult, be clamorous, be disquieted, be loud, be moved, be troubled, be in an uproar
a. (Qal)
1. to growl
2. to murmur (fig. of a soul in prayer)
3. to roar
4. to be in a stir, be in a commotion
5. to be boisterous, be turbulent
- Origin: a primitive root [compare H1949]
- TWOT entry: 505
- Part(s) of speech: Verb
=========================================
Strong's H6607
- Original: פּתח
- Transliteration: Pethach
- Phonetic: peh'-thakh
- Definition:
1. opening, doorway, entrance
- Origin: from H6605
- TWOT entry: 1854a
- Part(s) of speech: Noun Masculine
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (75.34 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
JG

Post by JG »

I am not sure what you post is for?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

The KJV has links to Strong's definitions (concourse<WH6607>) and the one entered for "concourse" in Psalms 1:21 is incorrect. Check my previous post and the Greek info for the the word "peh'-thakh" (פּתח).
JG

Post by JG »

theWord KJV.ont has this; "concourse<WH1993>" which I see is correct markup of the word according to Strong's.

She crieth<WH7121> in the chief place<WH7218> of concourse<WH1993>, in the openings<WH6607> of the gates<WH8179>: in the city<WH5892> she uttereth<WH559> her words<WH561>, <FI>saying<Fi>,
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

"concourse<WH1993>" H1993 is about speaking, not a gate and the Hebrew also verifies it which I posted above.
JG

Post by JG »

So we are ok as we have it.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

JG wrote:So we are ok as we have it.
Not according to the original text: Consider that murmuring (H1993) vs entrance (H6607) being used for a concourse. The KJV added a lot of text that isn't in the original Hebrew: At the top of the walls she is calling; At the portals of the gates in the city she is speaking her words:

Your choice to leave the error...
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

If I may copy from the Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament (TWOT for theWord) that links to that word:
505 הָמָה (hāmâ) cry aloud, mourn, rage, roar, sound; make noise, tumult; be clamorous, disquieted, loud, moved, troubled, in an uproar. (RSV also growl, howl, be in turmoil, moan, thrill, yearn, beat wildly, thunder, et al.; ASV similar.)
This verb is difficult to translate uniformly and the translation will vary from passage to passage and translator to translator. Thus in Isa 17:12 the KJV has “make a noise,” ASV “roar,” RSV “thunder.” Subjects include people (Ps 77:3 [H 4]), waves (Jer 5:22), cities (I Kgs 1:41), the heart (Jer 4:19), and the bowels (Song 5:4, RSV “heart was thrilled”; Jer 31:20, RSV “heart yearns”). The translation “concourse” (Prov 1:21) is inferred from the commotion.
I highlighted the last sentence.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

You win, I see my error now, from https://biblehub.com/text/proverbs/1-21.htm
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (19.02 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
JG

Post by JG »

Just some info on the word "concourse" as used in KJV. I did not know this, but it helps make sense of James Strong's markup.

Oxford English Dictionary | The definitive record of the English language
concourse, n.
Pronunciation: Brit. /ˈkɒnkɔːs/, /ˈkɒŋkɔːs/, U.S. /ˈkɑnˌkɔ(ə)rs/
Forms: Also ME -cours, -curs, 15–16 -curse.
Frequency (in current use):
Etymology: Middle English concours , < Old French concours, concoers (= Italian concorso ) < Latin concursum (4th declension) running together, < participial stem of Latin concurrĕre : see v. The forms concurs in Wyclif and concurse in 16–17th cent. were probably formed directly from the Latin, or assimilated thereto. Formerly accented conˈcourse; still so in Milton; compare discourse, recourse.

a. The running or flocking together of people; the condition or state of being so gathered together. †to have concourse: to resort in crowds to, unto.

1382 Bible (Wycliffite, E.V.) Acts xxiv. 12 Makinge concurs [a1425 L.V. concours], or rennyng to gidere, of the cumpany of peple.
1520 Chron. Eng. . f. 81v/2 There was so myghty concours of people.
1555 R. E tr. Peter Martyr of Angleria Decades of Newe Worlde . x. f. 45 They haue religious concourse to these caues, as wee are accustomed to goo on Pylgramage to Rome.
1558 A. M. Pƒ Let. Dec. in Corr. (1853) (modernized text) 51 That I be not entangled now of new with the concurre (sic) of the world.
1596 T. B Suruey Popery . . v. 131 Learned men of all nations had concourse vnto him.
1601 R. J tr. G. Botero Trauellers Breuiat 79 Riga, a citie of great concourse.
1611 Bible (King James) Prov. i. 21 Shee crieth in the chiefe place of concourse .
1642 B. J. T Of Sacred Order Episcopacy (1647) 380 Then was a concurse of all Nations to the Christian
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software