Bible View search not returning search when typed

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
rdwray

Bible View search not returning search when typed

Post by rdwray »

I typed "Jacob’s trouble" into Bible View Search and it returned nothing. I went to Jeremiah 30:7 and copied the same text and search found it. I again typed and it was not found; what is going on?
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
“For My yoke [is] easy and My burden is light.”
JG

Re: Bible View search not returning search when typed

Post by JG »

It is the type of apostrophe that different publishers use that causes the issue some use the one that is not on the keyboard ’ the right single quote \u2019, and others use the ' apostrophe , still others might use the ` grave accent.

Additional note
If you want to see and use the apostrophe that is possibly used in the Bible, take a look at theWord's Virtual Keyboard in the search view.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Thanks JG, I should have known that. God bless...
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
JG

Post by JG »

You are welcome.
I have asked Costas if there is any fix for this. It has tripped me up in the past. It is even more annoying when searching Greek where there are accents.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

The only thing I can think of is that he could change all text to UTF-8, or something, through a filter when it is searched, but then I don't know if he can handle both English and Greek with the same encoding or can he detect what language is being used. There is never an end to issues with programming, I had an Excel spreadsheet with a bunch of VBA and after using it for a few years, I ran into a problem, but got it fixed until the next time. :evil:
JG

Post by JG »

beta build 1513 will now ignore the apostrophe style if you have the setting to "Ignore case and diacritics" checked.

1513: Search enhancement: when searching ignoring diacritics, the following characters are all considered equivalent:
- quotation mark u+0022
- apostrophe u+0027
- grave accent u+0060
- acute accent u+00b4
- left single quotation mark u+2018
- right single quotation mark u+2019
- left double quotation mark u+201c
- right double quotation mark u+201d
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Thanks Jon, sounds great. God bless...

Edit: Just tested it and it works, thanks again to you and Costas.
JG

Post by JG »

1514: additions to 1513:
- fixed the tip of the 'Ignore case' checkbox in Bible search
- book search broke if there was an apostrophe; now it is fixed. Note that book search will not support this apostrophe neutrality
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Ran into a second issue in that the word "castaway" is not found in KJV 1Corinthains 9:27 where the word is typed or copied in 1514. Have a request in that the version number be added to Help>About dialog.
JG

Post by JG »

Works for me in KJV. Have you set a custom search range?

Also the version of the program is in the About bottom right already.
Usually for beta testing we leave the filename as is and because of the amount of full stops the filename contains it will display in the title of the program.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

My search range is set to "Entire Bible".

I do see the version in the splash screen; here is my about:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (136.39 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
JG

Post by JG »

If you perform a search of the word 'castaway' from the Bible view at that verse do you get a result. If so then you need to check what Bible you are searching.

Not sure why the version is not showing in the About, for you. Could it be you have a different dpi setting? I will have to check on another installation to see if that makes a difference.

Perhaps a reboot would help?
0001 Jon theWord_2021-01-14_130232.jpg
0001 Jon theWord_2021-01-14_130232.jpg (344.58 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Is someone working on the website, extremely slow and can't login at times?

I am running 20H2 on this machine and I have a 1904 running 1486 and it found the word and the version number is in the bottom right corner of About. I will do some more checking and get back in a few hours, have errands to run.
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Did a quick check by coping the 1486 over to the 20H2 and the search did not work so it may well be the Windows version, but I am still going to do some further checking.
JG

Post by JG »

This is using
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎29/‎05/‎2020
OS build 19042.685
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software