New Greek, hebrew and morph modules?

Ideas and suggestions about new features
miborebbe

New Greek, hebrew and morph modules?

Post by miborebbe »

Hi,
I like the interface from TW very much.
But can I suggest 3 new modules?

In "the Sword Project" (which has a much less nice interface, so i prefer the TW much) there exist 3 great features:
1) KJV bible with both strongs codes and also morph tags which both link to strongs and morphological lexicons
[see: King James Version (1769) with Strongs Numbers and Morphology]
2) Greek to Hebrew Dictionary of Septuagint Words (for doing a word study in the OT with an hebrew equivalent of a greek word)
3) Hebrew to Greek Dictionary of Septuagint Words (for doing a word study in the NT with an greek equivalent of a hebrew word)

Questions:
a) Can we use these TSP modules in TW?
b) Can they be made available for TW?

I hope so.

Michiel
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

I would like to endorse this suggestion. Having the morp tags along side the Strong's numbers is very helpful as you study. Right now, using those in study requires having either Online Bible or Esword (or both) open at the same time. TW is better by far than those two programs. A morph code module is one of the weak points. Costas, please don't take this as a criticism because it is not. I know you have so much on your plate getting ready to release TW3 and the new web site. Just endorsing this suggestion for future consideration.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

If I knew how to de-compress The Sword modules it would probably be easy to do.
preahkumpii

Post by preahkumpii »

Hello to all,

See this post. I really don't understand the need for morph codes in the KJV. In fact, although I have never used the KJV with morph codes from The Sword project, I can foresee some pretty substantial difficulties in putting Greek morph codes into an English Bible. Besides, if you are studying the Greek NT by studying Strong's Numbers and morph codes, why not just use the TR, which has both Strong's and morphs? There are already issues with having Strong's numbers in the KJV, b/c these are two different languages which don't always match up 1 to 1. I can see that morph codes would be even more confusing, especially considering morph codes are for Greek words and the words displayed are English. So, I would have to cast my vote against something like this. It wouldn't harm anything b/c you can always turn it off in the Bible View options, but it will add a huge mess to the the raw Bible modules by adding tens of thousands of tags to a module that already has more tags than just about any other module. Also, if studying with the morphs and KJV is very important, why not put the TR parallel to the KJV in the Compare View?

Adam
Adam
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Let me understand myself also:
as Adam said, the morph code corresponds 1 by 1 to the Strong word?
Is the morph code for the original greek?
If yes, why not use the dictionary that has the morph code already?
To be honest, it's not hard to add morph codes to the existing KJV module (if there is 1-by-1 relation there). Maybe this would be preferable than using the SWORD KJV. Is it what you have in mind?
Costas
csterg
Site Admin

Re: New Greek, hebrew and morph modules?

Post by csterg »

miborebbe wrote: 2) Greek to Hebrew Dictionary of Septuagint Words (for doing a word study in the OT with an hebrew equivalent of a greek word)
3) Hebrew to Greek Dictionary of Septuagint Words (for doing a word study in the NT with an greek equivalent of a hebrew word)
The links pls
miborebbe

Post by miborebbe »

Hello Costas,

In general:
I can imagine that a new release of the software and the website have a higher prio. And after that these 3 modules can greatly improve the program. Because then it has all the greatest bible and lexicon features.

For suggested extra module 1:
What I see in the kjv bible text in the sword project is (and mousing all tags shows explenation in the Strongs lexicon or the RMAC lexicon):
THESSALONIANS 1:1
1 Paul <3972> (N-NSM), and <2532> (CONJ) Silvanus <4610> (N-NSM), and <2532> (CONJ) Timotheus <5095> (N-NSM), unto the church <3588> <1577> (T-DSF) (N-DSF) of the Thessalonians <2331> (N-GPM) which is in <1722> (PREP) God <2316> (N-DSM) the Father <3962> (N-DSM) and <2532> (CONJ) in the Lord <2962> (N-DSM) Jesus <2424> (N-DSM) Christ <5547> (N-DSM): Grace <5485> (N-NSF) be unto you <5213> (P-2DP), and <2532> (CONJ) peace <1515> (N-NSF), from <575> (PREP) God <2316> (N-GSM) our <2257> (P-1GP) Father <3962> (N-GSM), and <2532> (CONJ) the Lord <2962> (N-GSM) Jesus <2424> (N-GSM) Christ <5547> (N-GSM).

And in TW it can be in a KJV (thanx to the wonderfull option is show a strongs tags as S and morph tags as M):
1 Paul S M, and S M Silvanus S M, etc.

Just like in the TR; only because I cannot read greek I need this is English.
2 πασαν S M χαραν S M ηγησασθε S S M

This is what I had in mind and this makes reading much more easy and studying quicker and makes the interface more intuitive.

About suggested extra module 2 and 3:
The requested Links: http://crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModD ... ctionaries and then under Language: grc and
Language: hbr

In theology (I heard from a friend) it is very revealing to study a word throughout the bible. E.g. Sozo (greek) which connects to Yeshua (hebrew). That is what you can do with these 2 modules.

Does this clearify things enough?
Blessings,
Michiel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Yes, this is very clear.
I will try to do all of these, i agree they are useful.
Give me some time,
Costas
miborebbe

Post by miborebbe »

Wow That is great!
:D

May Jezus bless you richly!
Michiel