mac and theWord

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
barryjg

mac and theWord

Post by barryjg »

I have just bought a new imac. I have been able to get e-sword to work under wine, but not theWord (which I really want to use). It goes to theWord splash screen and then just stops. Can anyone help please?
csterg
Site Admin

Re: mac and theWord

Post by csterg »

Any log? Any error?
barryjg

Post by barryjg »

Hi, thanks for your reply.
The following log appears;
err:menubuilder:fork_and_wait wineshelllink returned 1
err:menubuilder:InvokeShellLinker failed to fork and exec wineshelllink

Barry
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

oops, this is totally uninformative. No idea.
In general, tw should be wine-friendly since it is a self-contained .exe
Sorry, no idea here,
Costas
barryjg

Post by barryjg »

Thanks for trying Costas. Who knows I might find a solution - I hope so as theWord is excellent.
Sharemax

Post by Sharemax »

Greetings -
I have successfully installed 'The Word' on the Mac using Crossover 8.0 without any installation issues. It performs well, with only a few idiosyncrasies'. The program functions fully, loads all modules easily without issues, is very useful and displays perfectly.
The issues I have noted are:
• Every item in some book trees cannot be selected with the mouse. Using the window toolbar arrows or the keyboard arrow keys works fine and enables you to successfully navigate to any item.
• Sometimes - not often - when you select a new Bible version tab, the program will continue to open new windows instead of changing the current version in the Bible window. This can be frustrating, but closing The Word / Crossover and restarting The Word program again solves this issue.
Although not specifically addressing your Mac wine issue, TW can successfully work on the Mac within the Mac environment.

Paul
Word1956

Re: mac and theWord - Try Crossover!

Post by Word1956 »

Hello every one,

The Word works perfectly on my Mac. I use it with Crossover. Unlike Parallels or Fusion, it does not need a copy of Windows installed. It is simple! The Word installs simply and easily!

Word1956
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

• Every item in some book trees cannot be selected with the mouse. Using the window toolbar arrows or the keyboard arrow keys works fine and enables you to successfully navigate to any item.
Fixed for wine.
Costas
core

Post by core »

Hi,

I confirm the same. Installation went really smooth with CrossOver 9.2 and TW 3.2.0.1102 .

The only thing that is a bit slow is if you swap from let's say the Bible view to the Study view, it takes 1-2 seconds to change the corresponding toolbar.
Also, when you resize the window to full screen, it takes around 5 seconds.

Beyond that, the main menues (File, View, Tools, Window, Help) and the "Verse Reference (F4)" feature as well as the "Search" feature are really fast. Also - very important - the hyperlinks (cross references) within the text show up really fast - No difference to TW without Emulator.

At first sight creating modules seem to be a piece of cake too. No difference to the windows version.

In Him,
Cornelius
Meyer

Post by Meyer »

Hi, I use virtualbox 3.2.10 on a mac air. PERFECT! Everything works great!
cut & paste, performance, resize window, really fast.
blessings
miterreader

Post by miterreader »

I have TW installed in Wine on Ubuntu as a compact installation. I access the same installation from WinXP on VirtualBox on the same machine. Here's the issue: if I run TW from Wine (after the initial installation) it does its usual building the indexes for all the modules. If I exit TW and run it from VirtualBox, it rebuilds the indexes for the visible Bible modules. If I exit TW and run it from Wine, it rebuilds the indexes for the visible Bible modules. Every time! When there has been no change at all to the installation or edits to the modules. How do I make it stop rebuilding the indexes when there has been no change to the modules?
You can easily check out our high quality Testking sample phr questions which prepares Testking free six sigma certification well for the You can also get success in real with the qualitywww.rasmussen.edu
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This happens because there is a time-difference in the 2 'machines' (the real and virtual). theWord checks the last-modification date of the file to decide this: obviously there is something different (or wrong) between the 2 and theWord things each time that it needs to do so
Costas