Non-uniformity of fonts

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
therapon

Non-uniformity of fonts

Post by therapon »

Hi,

Here's the setup: Kubuntu 14.10 64-bit, Wine 1.7.34; 1920 x 1080 display resolution; Wine screen resolution set to 115 dpi. I've attached a screenshot of "some" of what's happening. It appears that some elements within theWord aren't respecting the font settings while others are. I've installed a couple themes within Wine and adjusted font sizes there. In TW the changes are reflected in screen menu text size but not in other places; e.g. the Bible View Options dialog, verse reference font size in the F3 search window, right-click context menu as shown in the screenshot.

Any suggestions what I might do to make fonts uniform in all the different places?

thanks.
therapon
tw_fonts.jpg
tw_fonts.jpg (387.46 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
therapon

Re: Non-uniformity of fonts

Post by therapon »

Further observation: the dropdown boxes in Book Views do not respect the display dpi setting. Is the size of some elements hard-coded rather than relative? Practically speaking, I can get most things adequately visible (although a bit unsightly in places - see previous post) through a combination of Wine dpi settings and the zoom function within TW. But, the dropdown text is nearly unreadable, even with bifocals! :D Any chance of a fix for this??

therapon

PS. I am getting the same results in a WinXP virtual machine so it doesn't seem like it's a Wine issue.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Concerning different font in popup menu: this is by design: since these menus use words from the Bible view, it is important to use there the font from the current Bible, else it is possible that the font will not support what the user is seeing
Concerning the high-dpi issues: fixed those in b1442, please try it out and let me know
Costas
therapon

Post by therapon »

Costas, the improvements look nice. Most of the elements in dialog boxes still don't respect the dpi setting, though - Preferences, Bible View Options, F3 Search, F5 Verse Copy, for example. In the F5 dialog, the "fly-out" box for setting the copy range looks good, the preview of verses to copy also. All the other elements are still smaller than they should be. In Book Views, the current topic displays correctly, the dropdown list and topic tree are at the old size. Top row dropdown lists in the main screen as well as Book and Bible Views display properly; also, dropdown lists for Books, Dictionaries, Commentaries, etc. are correct. However, dropdowns on the side toolbar (Bible book list, Sync views, Bible view options) are still at the old size.

therapon
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I can't repeat what you experience. For example the Preferences and Bible view options dialog look fine here.
I know there are still issues, trust me i have done a lot of work to fix most of the issues.

It would help if i could see a screenshot of some issues, specifically:
Preferences, Bible view options dialog, F5 Copy Verses, Book view topic list, Book view drop-down topics
These look fine here, so i need to see how they look over there.

Costas
therapon

Post by therapon »

I checked out the newest version in both WinXP and Wine. Some look ok in WinXP - Preferences, Bible View Options, F5 Copy Verses. The others have what appear to be issues. I've included screenshots of both for you to see.
Attachments
Hi_DPI.zip
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 629 times
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

From the screenshots i see issues in the About box and the Bible Search view. I have these here also: is there something else?
therapon

Post by therapon »

Bible View Options: fonts in the dialog box are uniform including the currently selected font name (Tahoma); the font names in the dropdown list are somewhat larger and the same size as Bible module list across the top of the view. (I guess that is the same at 96 dpi as at 115 dpi).

Bible View: fonts in the dropdown list on the left side when you click the arrow next to the icon are the same size as in the Bible View Options dialog box, noticeably smaller than the module list.

Book View: fonts in the topic list are smaller than the words "Options", "Dictionaries", "Commentaries", etc. The same is true in the dropdown topic list: the current topic displays as the correct size, the list below it is significantly smaller.

Preferences: fonts are all the same size but smaller than they should be.

At 96 dpi module list names across the top of the view, entries in the topic list, text labels on dialog boxes, dropdown lists, topic trees, etc. are all a uniform size. I assumed changing to 115 dpi (or anything other than 96) would scale up all the fonts proportionally. Perhaps that is actually the way it works but...TW maybe isn't getting its font information from the same place for everything? Is some coming from the linux display manager and some from wine? When I change the dpi setting in winecfg, some things change in the TW display, other things don't! Hmmm....two screenshots attached, one at 96 dpi, the other at 115 dpi. That setting in winecfg was the only thing changed.
Attachments
HiDPI.jpg
HiDPI.jpg (375.14 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
SmallDPI.jpg
SmallDPI.jpg (348 KiB) Viewed 4220 times