Problem with book module editing on Ubuntu, the text cursor seems to lag behind where it should be. [SOLVED]

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
arraybolt3

Problem with book module editing on Ubuntu, the text cursor seems to lag behind where it should be. [SOLVED]

Post by arraybolt3 »

EDIT: Problem solved, I just had to change the font to something other than Tahoma. So far "Ubuntu", "Arial", and "Liberation Mono" all work.

For the most part, theWord runs fantastic within Wine on Ubuntu 22.04 (at least it did last I checked, which wasn't that long ago). However, there is one strange thing that messes up my workflow with theWord on Ubuntu - if you open a user module (like My Verse Notes) and begin writing text in there, you will notice that the cursor seems to "lag behind" where the text actually is (the cursor will appear to be somewhere in the middle of the line even though the text is being typed properly at the end of the line). This makes it a bit tricky to figure out where you're actually about to start typing at and where you are in the current line.

Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, did you find a workaround? Thanks for your help!
Last edited by arraybolt3 on Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11
DarrelW

Re: Problem with book module editing on Ubuntu, the text cursor seems to lag behind where it should be. Workarounds?

Post by DarrelW »

I run Linux Mint 21,1 with wine 6.03 and the latest TW beta 1530, and I do not have this issue. I am using CrossOver, which gives me ability to view PDF files and audio scriptures, but I have never had an issue with the cursor lagging behind.

Darrel
arraybolt3

Re: Problem with book module editing on Ubuntu, the text cursor seems to lag behind where it should be. Workarounds?

Post by arraybolt3 »

Interesting. I'll try out using the beta and using Linux Mint and see if that works. Even if it doesn't work in Ubuntu and only in Mint, I can at least swap out my current Windows 7 VM for a Linux Mint VM and be happier.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Well, I have used multiple distros, and none of them had slow-downs. I have also used wine all the up and through wine 8.0 with the same results. Personally I feel you have something going with your system. I've ran this stuff on many distros for 10 years.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Oh, I don't mean lag like the cursor is slow. I mean like it seems to not actually be where it should be. I'll take a screenshot if I'm able to reproduce it. I use the open-source version of Wine, not CrossOver, so that may be where the difference is.

DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I understood what you were saying. Also 91/2 years of my usage was open source wine from
WineHQ. I don't need a screenshot. I switched to crossover 2 weeks ago for other reasons. Be blessed.

Darrel
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Hmm. Well it's happening still, but not the way I remember - now the cursor is ahead of the text :P Latest Wine Staging on Ubuntu 22.10 with theWord 6.
The problem
The problem
theWordScreenshot.jpg (195.67 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Guess I'll try Linux Mint and see what happens. I've been noticing this since Ubuntu 16.04, so I assume there's just something I'm missing if it's always worked for you.

God bless, and thanks for your guy's help!

arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Oh my gosh I found it! I had the font set to Tahoma, which had the bug. Changing the font to "Ubuntu" immediately fixed the problem. Arial works too.

Thanks again! This is really good news for me. Just knowing that it could work gave me encouragement to keep trying. God Bless, and thank you all for everything!

DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Are you using TW version 6.0.0.1530, the latest beta? If not I would suggest upgrading to that first.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Not yet, just using the stable 6.0.0.1527. I'll try out the beta too, if for no other reason than to experiment with fancy new stuff.

DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

The betas on TW are extremely stable
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Heh, if you only knew how much experimental software I run for daily use :D Words like "beta", "alpha", and even "pre-alpha" have mostly ceased to scare me. So I'll definitely be trying the beta, and probably using it daily now that even module editing is working perfectly.