theWord Bible and Wine - Lockup on 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
chris411nz

theWord Bible and Wine - Lockup on 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post by chris411nz »

Hi anyone out there using this software with Wine on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)?

I have installed it on the latest version of Linux (on a laptop - IBM Thinkpad T42 - yeh its old but it was free ) without any problems, however on my tower box it was running a few weeks ago then I tried today. Something has upset it? I have updated the Ubu-software and Wine and still no go. It starts up, shows everything, tries to show all modules and ask's for auto update options, then locks and nothing can be accessed with mouse or keyboard controls.

Has anyone else used this program and solved any issues with it?

Heres is the site I got it from.
http://www.theword.net/index.php?art...mods&l=english

The latest version of the Word is 3.2.1.1160 published on Jan 22, 2011 I'll try moving to the latest version and see if this helps, and place feedback here.

Now Updating to 10.10 and will advise.

Thanks in Advance on this one!

Cheers
Chris
NZ
"Forced to be upright but learning to be real" Wayne Jacobson - The God Journey
Dale

Re: theWord Bible and Wine - Lockup on 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post by Dale »

I was running TheWord on 10.04 and am now running it on 10.10 with no issues (after overcoming the "too many open files" limit of 1024 modules that is...).
Install Wine, download TheWord program package, left click the package and choose "open with Wine" from the pop-up menu and it should work.
I'm currently running this set-up on a Dell Desktop, Gateway Notebook, and ASUS Netbook with absolutely no problems (well, also after downloading the Code 2000 fonts so Greek and Hebrew would display properly...).
chris411nz

Re: theWord Bible and Wine Lockup on 10.04 now 11.04 Linux

Post by chris411nz »

Hi Dale

Yeh it was running like that before something upset it! - I have now moved to Ubuntu 11.04 'Natty Narwhal' the latest Ubuntu and still have the same problem. If anything changes I'll post here. Shame it's great on my wifes Laptop, must me too many variables on my Tower. Just thought - had a look in changing the config's of Wine and now going through the other Windows version emulators within itself. Will post here if any thing works!

Cheers & Blessings
Chris
NZ
Dale

Post by Dale »

I know this isn't very helpful, and it can be aggravating trying to explain a problem to others that they do not understand - but are you receiving any kind of specific error message? Also, what exactly is being asked about auto update options?

Also, how did you install TheWord - standard or compact installation? Do you have any other Windows programs running under WINE on the "virtual C drive"?

There is a "stripped down" emulation of Internet Explorer on the "virtual C drive", perhaps the error lies within TheWord trying to access the internet through, or configure, this browser.... (just grasping for straws) :oops:
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

If you haven't done so already, the first thing to try is to rename the .wine directory in your home directory. Then re-install TheWord. It may be something that got messed up in the .wine profile directory and this will re-create it for you.
chris411nz

Post by chris411nz »

Dale wrote:I know this isn't very helpful, and it can be aggravating trying to explain a problem to others that they do not understand - but are you receiving any kind of specific error message? Also, what exactly is being asked about auto update options?
No worries Dale. Firstly, the program starts-up, shows everything on screen, then a few mini windows appear to ask "Do i want to install the modules it has found" and "Do i want to auto update the version" and "Yes or No" to stop auto update in Pref's. All these seem to function ok.

Also, how did you install TheWord - standard or compact installation? Do you have any other Windows programs running under WINE on the "virtual C drive"? I installed by standard installation method option. Yes I have a few programs that work Ok with Wine and the settings I have chosen for them in the Wine Config's option.

There is a "stripped down" emulation of Internet Explorer on the "virtual C drive", perhaps the error lies within TheWord trying to access the internet through, or configure, this browser.... (just grasping for straws) :oops:
Good thought there, however I have never needed to use it or found it and Fire Fox (and backup Chromium) are now my default browsers, which I have tested the theWord locates and starts it ok.

I have Since Upgraded and have changed several settings. The Program now runs and has located all modules, however I think I lost my study notes now? Still searching for em ~;)

Chris
chris411nz

Post by chris411nz »

mathetes wrote:If you haven't done so already, the first thing to try is to rename the .wine directory in your home directory. Then re-install TheWord. It may be something that got messed up in the .wine profile directory and this will re-create it for you.
Hi Mathetes - good point, however at this stage I have it running now on a new upgrade of Linux to 11.04 Natty Nawahl. I have since changed the settings in the Wine Config's options to run on older version of windows and this was the key for my system as it was trying to us a "default" windows version and was locking up.

Chris