Linux & Word v3 Solution!

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
mathetes

Linux & Word v3 Solution!

Post by mathetes »

To run The Word under WINE in Linux go to View | Theme and select any theme other than Silver. Evidently with the Silver theme the WINE windows manager is unable to manage it correctly.

With that taken care of there is a problem where sometimes selecting text with the mouse will cause the program to crash. It could be annoying but I don't think it's a show stopper.

The most major problem I've found is that importing the LXX text with accents from Unbound Bible displays only garbage. No font I have tried has seemed to work. Importing the unaccented version works fine. The Greek/Orthodox version from The Word downloads section seems to work fine even though it is also accented. So I'm not really sure what is different with the LXX accented version.
jfree143

Post by jfree143 »

The following is in reference to "The Word" Beta 1

I'm currently running both Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04 beta. I have "The Word" installed on both under WINE 0.9.58. The biggest issue under WINE is whether or not to use the window manager to control "The Word." This option is set under 'winecfg' (it can be set for individual apps--it doesn't have to be global). Leaving the window manger in control causes wacky graphic errors such as a window that is to small to use. If you turn it off, "The Word" looks and acts great, but it doesn't allow normal window minimizing or switching between virtual desktops. Another aside, is that most e-sword modules don't want to install under WINE 0.9.58--they just stall out...the NET Bible installer works well though so everything is good;-) The importer also works very well

Hope this helps
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

I have WINE set to be controlled by my KDE window manager and I have no problems with how it displays ever since I changed the theme.