Popup windows in Linux

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
therapon

Popup windows in Linux

Post by therapon »

Hi,

Current setup: Kubuntu 14.04, Wine 1.9.3, TW 5.0.0.1462 The issue has been present since at least early 2009; see viewtopic.php?p=5096#p5096

Is there anyone running Linux/Wine/TW where Shift-Mouseover on a popup works properly? It was frustrating then and it still is frustrating. I've tried countless versions of TW on numerous flavors of Linux and also different desktop environments with no success. I've also tried TW on Crossover, same results. The only circumstances I could get it to work on were Wine emulating a virtual desktop but then floating windows don't stay on top :(

I'd like to file a bug report with the Wine programmers but have no idea where to start. Costas, do you know which module/library in Delphi is responsible for creating/managing popups? I'm thinking that might be a likely culprit.

therapon
DarrelW

Re: Popup windows in Linux

Post by DarrelW »

By shift-mouse over I assume you mean to move the mouse into the pop-up and have it stay there?I have been doing that for what seems like "forever". Granted I have not run 14.04 for a looong time. It works for me on
1. Ubuntu Studio 15.04, 15.10
2. Linux Mint 15.04
3. Gnome 15.10
3. Fedora 22

All running wine 1.8. Wine 1.9 should not be an issue either. I switched to Gnome 15.10 for another program that plays better under Gnome. I suspect your issue may revolve around 14.04, but cannot say for sure. I have used TW under Linus for over 2 years now. Hope that helps.

Darrel
therapon

Post by therapon »

Shift then mouseover has always worked for me, too.... the first time I use it. Every subsequent attempt to have the window simply pop up does not work properly (as I described it in the linked "old" thread).

I have tried Mint, Fedora, Pinguy, Debian, Red Hat, Suse, MX, Mandriva, and more with KDE, Gnome, xfce, enlightenment desktops plus Wine from about v. 1.2 up to 1.9 on multiple computers (laptops and desktops) over the last 7 years. A fresh install of the OS, fresh install of Wine, fresh install of TW and nothing else each time gives the same results. The popup works as advertised the first time, then after that it mostly flashes and disappears unless you use the Shift key every time. Frustrating!
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I feel for you. I don't it doesn't help to hear that mine always works. Have you tried anything beyond 14.04? If not you might try either US 15.10 or Gnome 15.10. I am really impressed with Gnome 15.10. It's a little different (IMO) getting used to, but so far solid as a rock - and fast!
therapon

Post by therapon »

I have tried newer distros, to no avail. In fact I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 15.10, updated all the packages, installed Wine 1.6 something and the TW Small package. No joy :-( works the same as always. For some reason, once I do the shift-mouseover with any popup, popups don't go back to their "normal" operation until I restart TW.
JG

Post by JG »

Use the alternate method of keeping the popup open, just right click and move the pointer into the window. In Bible view you would need to do that and then left click in the window.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
therapon

Post by therapon »

Jon,

If I right-click and move the pointer, I have to click in the window in any view to get the context menu to disappear. Otherwise it covers the popup underneath. When I click the popup underneath, it disappears. Subsequent MouseOver on a hyperlink works the same as if I had used SHIFT-MouseOver.

I don't know if it will see any activity but I filed a bug at Winehq - https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40167

Like I said to Darrel, I've tried to see if it works properly on about 50 different distros, 32-bit and 64-bit, and a variety of hardware over the last 10 years. Fresh installs, updates, live cd's, virtualboxes, you name it, and I have the same issue with every one. I was unable to copy from Firefox and a few other apps to TW but one of the recent wine-staging releases fixed that. I keep hoping that they'll fix something for somebody's game and popups in TW will work properly. Meanwhile, I don't use Shift-MouseOver, it is simply too frustrating. I'll click the link and do what I need to do in one of the views, then go back to what I had in that view originally - still a pain in the neck but doable.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Just wanted to say here that there is no particular technique or library used for the popups. They are ordinary border-less windows and a timer that watches the mouse position to turn them off.
therapon

Post by therapon »

I'm not imagining it!! I filed a report on the WineHQ Bugzilla a while back - https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40167 The behavior I experience has been confirmed:
I can confirm this bug has existed for years in all the different versions of Wine I've used with both Ubuntu and Kubuntu (currently Kubuntu 14.04 and Wine 1.6.2).

The behaviour of the mouse-over popups changes after Shift+Mouse-over is applied once. The subsequent behaviour of the popups is inconsistent for me, sometimes they popup and disappear immediately; sometimes the popup works as before Shift was applied (except that I can continue to place the mouse in the popup window).
If anyone else is experiencing this behavior, maybe additional confirmations would spark some interest on the WINE side to get it fixed.

Thanks,
therapon
therapon

Post by therapon »

Guess I'm a little slow :oops: but I finally discovered a work-around: create a window rule.

1. Window menu / More Actions / Configure Special Application Settings

2. Select Add Properties, scroll down to Focus Stealing Prevention and add it.

3. Set both Force and Extreme.

4. Shift-MouseOver works as expected.