Print Preview black screen

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
therapon

Print Preview black screen

Post by therapon »

I've tried TW on several flavors of Ubuntu from 14.04 on, also OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. Since the results are uniform, it must be a WINE issue, not Linux. Any WINE version later than 2.0 puts up a black screen for the document area in print preview. WINE versions up through 2.0 display the print preview properly. The work on WINE lately has been heavy on Direct3D support, also some Direct2D things as well. When opening the print preview using WINE 2.1 or greater, I see this error in the console:

err:virtual:NtMapViewOfSection map_file_into_view 0x1760000 1fd000 000000000 failed

Any idea what to do to fix it? Thanks.

therapon
therapon

Re: Print Preview black screen

Post by therapon »

Well... WINE is up to 2.9 now and the issue is still there. It's only an issue with theWord, too. No other application I use has any trouble with WINE versions later than 2.0. RichViewActionTest works properly including Print Preview in all versions of WINE. I have not found any help for the error in the WINE forums or elsewhere.

It would be a real bummer to have to stay at WINE 2.0 because Print Preview in theWord doesn't work right in newer versions.
therapon

Post by therapon »

WINE is at 2.13 now and I am no longer getting the error message when I open the print preview. However, the preview is still broken. Just a black area where the page should display with a circle instead of the magnifying glass. Scroll up or down and what was previously hidden shows the page and margins but no text. It prints correctly, only the preview is affected.

Is anyone else running WINE 2.0+? Are you having this problem?

therapon
Last edited by therapon on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Do you have a specific print driver installed? I noticed that printing in theWORD I believe depends on what is the default print driver. Not sure it is the same in WINE though this seems to be so in Windows.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
therapon

Post by therapon »

According to WineHQ, WINE interacts with CUPS directly so any printer setup and working correctly in Linux should work correctly with WINE. The printer I use is the CUPS-PDF printer, with the driver supplied by the operating system. It functions properly with every other Windows app I have tried (in WINE, of course) and theWord preview works properly on any WINE version up through 2.0 so I don't think that's the problem. That's how I figured out the issue - I upgraded WINE, it broke print preview, I downgraded WINE and it worked again. During that process nothing other than WINE-specific files changed. And as I noted earlier, theWord prints to PDF correctly; it is just the preview that is broken.

therapon
therapon

Post by therapon »

I tried a couple more things. If no printers are defined, the document area in print preview is blank. I also set up a second printer and forced it to be the default. Same results as with CUPS-PDF.
therapon

Post by therapon »

For what it is worth, I have a virtual machine with WINE in it, v2.15. I replaced gdi32.dll.so with the same file from WINE v2.0. It wasn't perfect but it mostly worked. Seems like whatever the changes to WINE's gdi32.dll are at or close to the root of the problem. I am not saying the builtin dll is at fault, rather changes WINE developers made to improve the code break something nonstandard in theWord. The only thing affected is print preview in theWord. All other parts of theWord work as expected, all other Windows applications I run under WINE work as expected.

therapon
therapon

Post by therapon »

In either WINE 2.16 or 2.17 the print preview issue went away. They made a few changes in gdi32 in 2.16 that might be related. Anyway it works properly now.