How to set up theWord on Linux for the best experience

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
arraybolt3

How to set up theWord on Linux for the best experience

Post by arraybolt3 »

Despite being primarily a Windows application, theWord works surprisingly well on Linux. However, without the right setup, it has several rough edges that may be difficult to work with. This post will help you smooth out some of those rough edges.

Step 1: Install wine-staging

You'll need to use Wine to run theWord on Linux. Depending on your distro, there may be as many as five different ways to install Wine. All of them will work to varying degrees, but you'll likely have the best experience using the latest version of Wine Staging directly from WineHQ. When using Wine Development or Wine Stable, you may notice some text missing in the Preferences dialog of theWord. Wine Staging fixes this problem.

How to install Wine Staging will depend on your distro. Official instructions can be found at https://wiki.winehq.org/Download. If your distro isn't listed on their website, try searching for a wine-staging package in your distro's package manager.

If your distro doesn't have wine-staging available, and you're an experienced Linux user, you may be able to download the Wine source code, add on the staging patches, and then build Wine from source. However, this is a daunting task, especially since you'll probably need to do a WoW64 build of Wine in order to run theWord when you're done (as theWord is a 32-bit application and most computers are 64-bit). If you aren't experienced enough to build Wine from source and don't have wine-staging in your distro's repositories, I'd recommend switching your OS to the latest stable version of Debian (currently Debian 12).

Step 2: Install theWord using compact mode + USB flash drive mode

If you install theWord normally, in non-compact mode, it will work just fine, but if you have to tweak anything inside the guts of theWord, you'll end up having to dig through weird directories and will possibly have to make changes in multiple locations to get things working the way you want. Installing theWord in USB flash drive mode will keep all theWord files in one convenient little bundle that's easy to manage. Contrary to its name, USB flash drive mode does not require a USB flash drive to use - you can use it to install theWord into any blank folder on your computer.

To do a USB flash drive installation of theWord:
  1. Download your desired theWord package from https://theword.net/.
  2. Launch the installer you just downloaded.
    • If an archive manager application appears when you try to launch theWord's installer, that's probably because Wine isn't set as the default application to open .exe files. In this instance, you should be able to right-click the installer, click "Open With...", choose "Wine Windows Program Loader", enable "Always use for this file type", and then click "Open" to get theWord's installer to launch. The steps to do this may vary a bit depending on your distro and desktop environment - the above steps are based on Debian 12 with GNOME.
  3. Click "Next", then accept theWord's license agreement.
  4. On the "installation type" screen, click "Compact (Single folder)", and then check the "USB flash drive mode" box. Then click "Next".
  5. If you don't want to install all of the default resources, browse through the resource list and uncheck anything you don't want. I would highly recommend keeping Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's Greek and Hebrew Dictionaries, though, as you won't get Strong's number popups without it. Once you're done choosing components, click "Next".
  6. On the "Choose Install Location" screen, click "Browse...". You can then navigate through your system's folders and decide where you want to install theWord. You probably want to install it somewhere inside your home directory, as you won't be able to install theWord in a location that your user account doesn't have write permissions for. Make a new folder wherever you intend to install theWord, then install theWord into that new folder. (Otherwise you may end up with theWord files cluttering up other data!)
    twFlashDriveInstall.png
    twFlashDriveInstall.png (26.64 KiB) Viewed 3248 times
  7. Ensure that the install path looks something like "Z:\home\user\theWord". The "Z:\" part is normal and is how Wine maps Linux file paths to something that looks familiar to Windows programs. Make sure that the folder at the end of the install path is the new folder you made a bit ago. If everything looks right, click "Install".
  8. Uncheck "Run theWord" and then click "Finish". You can run theWord right now if you want, but the experience will be less-than-ideal if you do that right now.
Step 3: Change the user interface font

The default font theWord uses on Wine is Tahoma. Tahoma is actually a fairly nice font on Windows, but the Tahoma-like font Wine provides is awful and will cause theWord's user interface to behave in strange ways. Thankfully, theWord has a setting that allows you to change the font used to render theWord's user interface. One font that works relatively well is DejaVu Sans. It's not perfect, but it's close, and it will provide a much better experience than Tahoma.

Some of the bugs you'll avoid by switching away from the Tahoma font include:
  • Strange extra spacing in the middle of Bible text
  • Text cursor "travel" when typing in the Bible search view
  • General program ugliness (Wine's Tahoma font is very low-quality)
To change the user interface font in theWord:
  1. Open the folder you installed theWord into. If you did a USB flash drive installation, you should already know where to go.
    • If you didn't do a USB flash drive installation, you'll probably find theWord under "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files(x86)/The Word".
  2. Open the "english.lng" file.
  3. At the end of the [_main_] section, you'll see a line that looks like this:

Code: Select all

#font=Consolas

Uncomment it by removing the "#" at the beginning and change the font name to your desired font, like this:

font=DejaVu Sans

Make sure that the font you're using is actually installed. DejaVu Sans is installed by default on Debian 12 with GNOME, but it may not be installed on your system. You can install it and a bunch of other DejaVu fonts on Debian by running:

sudo apt install fonts-dejavu

4. Save the english.lng file and close it.
  5. Finally, launch theword.exe. If everything went well, you should be greeted by a rather nice-looking program (rather than the somewhat gnarly version you'd get if you stuck with the bad Tahoma font).
    theWordDejaVuSans.png
    theWordDejaVuSans.png (154.09 KiB) Viewed 3248 times
Step 4: Change the default Book View font

Our battle against Tahoma isn't quite done yet - if you open any book modules, you'll be greeted by ugly, possibly glitchy, and likely improperly formatted text. We need to change the default Book View font to something else (preferably DejaVu Sans).
  1. Click File > Preferences...
  2. Click on the Fonts tab.
  3. Click on the drop-down menu for "Default book view font".
    • Can't see any text above the drop-down menus? You probably installed wine-stable or wine-devel earlier. The default book view drop-down menu is at the very bottom, and should say "Tahoma" to begin with.
  4. Find a font you like (I highly recommend DejaVu Sans), and select it.
  5. Click "OK" to apply the new font.
  6. You may have to click a new topic in each Book View and then click back onto the topic you were on before in order to get the font change to work.
You should notice that the text quality in book modules is way better once you've done this, and that bold text actually appears bold now.

Step 5: Dealing with weird boxes

Every so often, you may encounter improperly rendered text in theWord. Usually you'll see odd boxes or rectangles in place of the text you'd expect to see. This problem is most easily visible on some of the introductory pages of the M-Strong module (though thankfully the actual dictionary pages appear to be unaffected). This problem can be due to a number of different things (missing glyphs in a font, text encoding anomalies, etc.), but most of the time there's an easy solution. Copy and paste the mis-rendered text into a text editor. If you want to see the original formatting of the text, LibreOffice Writer generally works for this (though it may not work perfectly all the time). If you don't care for formatting or if LibreOffice isn't displaying the text properly, a plain-text editor should work. Most distros should come with a plain-text editor pre-installed, and many distros have LibreOffice installed already.

If you encounter strange boxes in a user-editable module, you can fix them by copying the offending text, pasting it into LibreOffice Writer or a text editor, then copying the correctly rendered text back into theWord. (Make sure to double-check that the text actually looks right before copying it back into theWord!) If the module you're dealing with isn't user-editable (which will usually be the case), you can just copy text into LibreOffice Writer or a text editor to view it and then close the document without saving it when you're done. (Note that closing without saving is very important, as it may not be legal to save copies of text that you've copied out of certain theWord modules!)

Note that it is possible to make some non-user-editable modules into user-editable modules, but this is beyond the scope of this guide, it's not always possible, and doing this sort of thing will let you damage your modules. I therefore do not recommend trying that.

I hope you found this guide helpful! Enjoy using theWord!
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11
therapon

Re: How to set up theWord on Linux for the best experience

Post by therapon »

Note regarding the Tahoma font:

I have used theWord for many years now on several distros including Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and openSUSE. In each case, I have used the helper package to download and install Core Fonts from Microsoft. I have used winetricks to install the official MS Tahoma font since it is not included in the Core Fonts.

I have not experienced any of the font issues you describe in theWord or any other program running in WINE whether I run stable, devel or staging. Installing the official font would seem to me a better choice since I believe it fixes the root cause of a sub-standard WINE font.

ymmv

therapon
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

There are two severe font issues under Linux:
The second one I have determined to be specifically due to the TRichView control. I am unaware of any fix for either of these.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

What is a good Linux distro, with minimal setup and works well with this procedure? Nothing fancy. I just need to set up a test laptop
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Others may not agree, but Linux Mint 21.2 installs easy and works beautifully, I use it with wine 8.14. I have used Linux Mint for about 5 years now.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Debian stable should be another good choice. A KDE live/install iso can be downloaded from https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/. A KDE desktop will provide the most Windows-like experience. Actually it's more like Windows on steroids.

An appimage of the latest WINE version can be downloaded from https://github.com/mmtrt/WINE_AppImage/ ... us-staging. This allows for the quickest way to test Windows programs and is distribution agnostic.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

-deleted, ended up making a second post in order to quote properly-
Last edited by arraybolt3 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

jonathangkoehn wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:49 pm What is a good Linux distro, with minimal setup and works well with this procedure? Nothing fancy. I just need to set up a test laptop
@jonathangkoehn I would highly recommend Debian Stable with GNOME. The install procedure is slightly tricky the first time but not bad, and it works very well in my experience. It also supports wine-staging directly from WineHQ, and is what I used to make this guide.

I also have used Ubuntu with KDE or LXQt in the past but both of them have strange window focus problems that GNOME doesn't appear to have - those problems can interfere with theWord's popups. The only way I've found around that is to use Wine with it's virtual desktop feature enabled. I should edit that into the guide.
Last edited by arraybolt3 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

therapon wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:15 pm Note regarding the Tahoma font:

I have used theWord for many years now on several distros including Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and openSUSE. In each case, I have used the helper package to download and install Core Fonts from Microsoft. I have used winetricks to install the official MS Tahoma font since it is not included in the Core Fonts.

I have not experienced any of the font issues you describe in theWord or any other program running in WINE whether I run stable, devel or staging. Installing the official font would seem to me a better choice since I believe it fixes the root cause of a sub-standard WINE font.

ymmv

therapon
That makes sense, and I'd imagine it would help a lot of things. That being said, I'm not sure how legal it is to use the real Tahoma font on a non-Windows system without buying it (and they want $50 for it last I checked if I remember correctly), so I haven't done that.

I recommended DejaVu Sans because it has more Unicode glyphs in it than some other fonts, which can prevent strange rendering errors. Nimbus Sans is what I used to use, but it doesn't have as many glyphs in it and so not all modules work right with it.

therapon

Post by therapon »

The tahoma.ttf you get with winetricks is a copy of the file officially and freely distributed by Microsoft years ago.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

therapon wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:27 pm The tahoma.ttf you get with winetricks is a copy of the file officially and freely distributed by Microsoft years ago.
Oh wow, I may have to try that then. Thanks for the info!

jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Did the tahoma suggested work like Deja u Sans for you?

Also a general question have you noticed premium sources that render as random characters throughout the whole book? Not just squares? If so what is the fix? I am on Debian 12 KDE.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Is Segoe UI or any other needed fonts installed?
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

jonathangkoehn wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:00 pm Did the tahoma suggested work like Deja u Sans for you?

Also a general question have you noticed premium sources that render as random characters throughout the whole book? Not just squares? If so what is the fix? I am on Debian 12 KDE.
Haven't tried Tahoma yet, will do so soon.

I don't have any premium module other than Fundamentals of NT Greek (which renders well for me, though I just remembered something that might be of interest in that area).

arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

jonathangkoehn wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:00 pm Did the tahoma suggested work like Deja u Sans for you?

I have now tried the official Tahoma font. While it fixed some problems that the fake Tahoma font had, the amount of font rendering errors I encountered in Fundamentals of NT Greek was truly shocking. The module may have been usable, but looked like a mess. Switching back to DejaVu Sans made a night-and-day difference.