Default Layout

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
hecaherg

Default Layout

Post by hecaherg »

Thank you so much for this program. I used e-Sword for many years, so I have a learning curve to deal with since this program is so powerful and has so many elements. I can't find an explanation of how to make my own layout the default layout. Could you tell me how to do that? Should be very simple, but I don't know, so for me is complicated until I learn.

Thanks,

Hector
preahkumpii

Re: Default Layout

Post by preahkumpii »

Hello Hector and Welcome,

It is not too hard. There are several things you need to know. First, you click and drag the title bars of each view to move them where you want them, or even floating. You can also resize them the way you like in the same way as resizing the windows in MS Windows. Then, you need these three icons to make you layout (see attachment). If you want to add a certain view, use the first icon. Once you have everything layed out everything like you want it, including the Bible View Options (Ctrl+O), etc., you need the second icon. In that menu, go to Save current layout -> as...[whatever you like].
Attachments
ss1.png
ss1.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 7197 times
Adam
hecaherg

Post by hecaherg »

Thanks Adam for your prompt reply. I already am at that point. I saved my layout and I can access it from >View>layout>my layouts. What I want to do is to make it the default layout. The one that comes up when I first start TW. As it is now, the default layout comes up and then I need to change it to my layout.

Thanks,

Hector
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Hector,
this sounds like an anomaly. When you restart TW you should see exactly as you left it. If this is not the case, then probably the program cannot save properly the settings.
Is this the case?
Costas
hecaherg

Post by hecaherg »

Thanks Costas for your interest. And thank you for the program. Fantastic. Actually, somehow, the settings were changed without my knowing it. Now when I first start the program it gives me a layout of the Bible tree and one full screen Bible window. Not even the program default layout. Even though I closed it with a different layout.

Hector
hecaherg

Post by hecaherg »

Costas, in reality, I thought it was a Bible window, but it is an empty window. A Bible tree and just a blank window as if it were a word processor window.

Hector
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Hector,
this sounds like a strange behavior which i have never heard.
Do you think you can attach a screenshot to see pls?
Also, tell me the OS you use and the folder you installed the program (if you changed something from the default).
Costas
hecaherg

Post by hecaherg »

Thank you Costas for your help.

Somehow my clipboard is not pasting directly to this dialog box, so I'm attaching the print scrn shot. I'm using a HP with Win7.

Thanks,

Hector
Attachments
This is what I get when I first open TW.
This is what I get when I first open TW.
TW print scrn Paint.png (143.27 KiB) Viewed 7121 times
hecaherg

Post by hecaherg »

Sorry Costas, I forgot to tell you that TW is installed on C:/program files/theword

Hector
JG

Post by JG »

Hi, did you do this as a "Compact" install.

Jon
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
hecaherg

Post by hecaherg »

Nope. Regular install.

Hector
hecaherg

Post by hecaherg »

It was working OK until I did my own layout. After that then the "default" layout became what you see above, which I don't know where it came from. My layout is four windows: One Bible, one commentary, one dictionary, and one books.

Hector
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I am unsure of what is happening. Would you like to delete the config.ini file so all settings will be reset? Since this is a new installation, it will not be much of a problem to lose some things i suppose?
Open the Help->About->File locations->Personal file folders->...->config.ini (delete it)
Costas
hecaherg

Post by hecaherg »

I sure wouldn't like to do that. It's new as of a couple of month, but I already transferred everything from e-sword, specially my verse notes which I was not able to transfer from e-sword version 8 to version 9. I was able to import it from e-sword to TW with no problem. I wouldn't want to risk that.

Hector
Gert-Jan

Post by Gert-Jan »

I'm pretty sure that removing config.ini will NOT remove any of your modules or verse lists. These are saved in separate files. The config.ini only stores the layout of the program, language used etc.

Let's wait untill Costas confirms this post.