synking the Word across all my pcs! Love it!

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
spaintrek

synking the Word across all my pcs! Love it!

Post by spaintrek »

I use Sugarsync and Dropbox and have accumulated some free space. Then I figured something out that has made The Word even more useful for me.

I re-installed The Word in all my PCs as a Compact USB single folder under Magic Briefcase (Sugarsync)--it didn´t work with the simple compact mode, it had to be the strict USB compact mode. That made all my PCs using The Word access all my library and personal modules in their latest updated form. Now I have 3.60GB of modules in that folder and have room for much more :). And it´s all backed up, too!

If you do this, though, on a netbook, be careful! The massive amounts of books being built into the program may overload the capacity of the netbook. You may not want to click "Yes to all" when fitting the modules into the book view. You may want to take it easy (click "Yes" only one module at a time or say "Yes to all" and leave it to work overnight) as I had to.

Thanks again for this very useful program!
spaintrek

Re: synking the Word across all my pcs! Love it!

Post by spaintrek »

After synking The Word on 3 PCs for a couple of weeks with Sugarsync, things didn´t work out so well; Sugarsync would duplicate or triplicate the modules depending on how many pcs were synced. Then I moved The Word in strict USB installation over to Dropbox and it just works! Not one problem since then.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Let me suggest this: why not create a share folder among these 3 PCs and use this shared folder to store the shared modules? This should be the easiest way
Costas
spaintrek

Post by spaintrek »

Thanks Costas,

I think I´m doing that. I created a folder called "The Word" directly under Dropbox. Moved all my modules into that file folder, and then reinstalled the program in each PC "pointing" it at that folder using the USB install.

Are you saying something different?

Kevin
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

If you install the whole theWord in that folder, you will also share the config files. Is that what you want? If you just want so share the modules, you can just edit the config.ini file and add the shared folder in the 'extra.paths' variable.
Then theWord will also look in that folder for modules (which will be a share folder).
Costas
spaintrek

Post by spaintrek »

Actually I spent a lot of time organizing my books into groups and then lost it all (found it later) twice until I figured out the config.ini issue. I really like the fact that the unified Dropbox folder preserves the same pre-made layouts and syncronizes all my notes and work across all my PCs--I even use The Word on my Android tablet using Splashtop 2! This configuration is just so useful...at least for me.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

OK then, I understand! Your solution is preferable then.
spaintrek

Post by spaintrek »

After 4 months of syncing The Word with a USB-one-file-folder-only installation, I wanted to give a little update as to my experience.

PROS
--My experience with The Word has been transformed; I find myself hardly using Logos, and E-Sword is lonely. I finally settled on Dropbox for my cloud service 'cause it worked as it was supposed to. Everything is kept up today across all my PCs. Just works.

CONS
--As my library gets bigger--4.5GB, I have found that startup takes longer as it indexes. I wonder if there is a way to reduce this startup time. Is it because the cache is 27.6MB? Can I delete that? Sometimes there are conflicting files also.

Kevin
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

The startup is a known issue with big libraries. 4.5GB means probably 2000+ modules: unfortunately theWord will open all these on startup and this takes time. Logos will not, this is what takes time. There has been some thinking about working around that, but it is not easy. I think that after the initial startup, it should be pretty fast.
Costas
JEM

Post by JEM »

Hello Kevin,
I even use The Word on my Android tablet using Splashtop 2!
I have this android 4.0.4 ICS (company rooted) tab, can you help me by explaining the steps involved in using theword on tab. My requirement is simple and that is running theword with less than 10 books, modules. Did you mean using it remotely?

Thanks
In Christ with His love,

JEM

And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these [is] love. (I Cor 13:13 [AMP])
For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: (Phil 3:20 [KJV])
EkkyBoy

Post by EkkyBoy »

I am using Windows 8 PC. Does anyone know how to find all the Word Modules on that? It's not what I'm used to, as I have always been able to go to program files on other PC's. I have no idea how to find installed files on a Windows 8 machine.
JG

Post by JG »

In theWord go to the main menu|Help|About|File locations
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

EkkyBoy:
If you mean how to find it from the Start button "old style" (XP, Vista, Win7) (e.g. Start -> Program Files -> The Word -> The Word), you have to replace the Windows 8 interface. I use Windows Classic Shell. It's free, it works, and it lets you format as it suits you. You end up with two menus of the Start Menu -- "Apps" (Windows 8 look) and "Programs" (same stuff but in Windows Xp/Vista/7 look).

If you mean where the apps/programs reside, it's the same as previous versions -- C:\Program Files. Most programs also store stuff in the "AppData' folder. In Windows 8 it's located at C:\Users\<user name>\AppData
EkkyBoy

Post by EkkyBoy »

There's a neat little app called Copy that gives you 20gb for free! I tried syncing my Word across two laptops. On the initial try it worked fine. But later I actually "lost" my layouts on my original laptop. I've been reading the syncing thread and tried to install USB mode into the folder directly but it seems it didn't put all my other modules (just the basic program) in the folder. Does anyone know of a work-around for this? or is this just one of those things you have to experiment with and figure out? Thanks so much :)
spaintrek

Post by spaintrek »

Always copy all modules to The Word directory in the USB-one-directory-only mode; re-install everything from scratch. The program will then look for the modules there and the modules will be automatically synced based on your cloud program. I find that Dropbox does the job in a fine way. Sorry, but I'm not into Win 8 yet.

Another issue I found: To speed up program startup speeds with Dropbox after the first installation, just paused the Dropbox syncing process and the program opens up really fast. I guess Dropbox doesn't have to look through and check my large library each time I start it up!

A big thanks again to Costas for this piece of art called The Word!