A Few Suggestions, please...

Ideas and suggestions about new features
PastorDave

A Few Suggestions, please...

Post by PastorDave »

I use the search window as a floating window. But I had a problem.

When I went to just move it using my mouse and holding down the left button, it went behind a book view and I lost it. I had to close the book views to find it and drag it out again to where I could see it again with the book views open. No fun, but at least I got it back. <lol> :)

So I have a few suggestions please, which I will repeat in the forum anyway... :)

1) Some kind of "Always on Top" setting for it, but one that doesn't interfere with clicking on and using the book views.

2) A way to have a "Minimize" bar for the book views, so that they can be minimized, without actually closing them.

3) In the top menu, instead of just "Open new book view", how about having it right there in the menu where those are listed,
the additional listings for each book view that has already been created. That way, it is less confusing.

So for example, the "Window" menu at the top, would also know which books you have already created and would also list them
in that pull down menu as well, so that if you accidentally close one, you can quickly open that same book view! :)

I know that maybe it does that with the "New" option, but if you think about it, that is not what someone would automatically think
would open the one that they just closed by accident.

I also know that maybe there are already keys that do it, but it gets difficult to remember all of the keys, for all of the functions.
I've got enough on my plate with <F3> for Search. <lol!> :)

4) Btw, have you ever thought about using a more common key for the Search function? You know, like <CTRL> S or something?
Or <CTRL> F for "Find"? Just a thought.

5) In the Search window itself, it has a lot of cool functions, but if there was one thing I would change, it would be to have the ability
to tell it which parts of the Bible OT/NT, etc. I want to search right in the main search window, in the Fast tab. It is great to have it
in the "Detail" tab also, but the other options in that screen don't get changed as often and it would save a lot of switching between
the tabs, if that one thing was also in the "Fast" tab.

6) If I accidentally click on the program's icon twice, it opens another copy of it. There should be a way that the user has the choice
to disable that from occurring.

7) Make it so that the program makes me a cup of coffee in the morning? :)

Thanks Costas! :)
JG

Re: A Few Suggestions, please...

Post by JG »

PastorDave wrote: I use the search window as a floating window. But I had a problem.

When I went to just move it using my mouse and holding down the left button, it went behind a book view and I lost it. I had to close the book views to find it and drag it out again to where I could see it again with the book views open. No fun, but at least I got it back. <lol> :)

So I have a few suggestions please, which I will repeat in the forum anyway... :)

1) Some kind of "Always on Top" setting for it, but one that doesn't interfere with clicking on and using the book views.
I cannot repeat the situation, yet! The "Always on top function" works correctly for me, at the moment.

PastorDave wrote: 2) A way to have a "Minimize" bar for the book views, so that they can be minimized, without actually closing them.
Suggested a few times already. It appears to be a limitation of the program library used at the moment.
http://forum.theword.gr/viewtopic.php?p=3217#3217
PastorDave wrote: 3) In the top menu, instead of just "Open new book view", how about having it right there in the menu where those are listed,
the additional listings for each book view that has already been created. That way, it is less confusing.

So for example, the "Window" menu at the top, would also know which books you have already created and would also list them
in that pull down menu as well, so that if you accidentally close one, you can quickly open that same book view! :)

I know that maybe it does that with the "New" option, but if you think about it, that is not what someone would automatically think

I also know that maybe there are already keys that do it, but it gets difficult to remember all of the keys, for all of the functions.
There is an icon for opening a new book view, on the book view, below the module icons.
I also agree that having the menu that shows the sets you have made for the book view, would be convenient as a sub-menu, so one could open a new view with a certain set.
PastorDave wrote: 4) Btw, have you ever thought about using a more common key for the Search function? You know, like <CTRL> S or something?
There are two different search views.
F3 is standard in windows for finding the next hit, so some are familiar with that.
An idea would be to make a keyboard template for the function keys. :)
I know I forget what year it is.
PastorDave wrote: 5) In the Search window itself, it has a lot of cool functions, but if there was one thing I would change, it would be to have the ability
to tell it which parts of the Bible OT/NT, etc. I want to search right in the main search window, in the Fast tab. It is great to have it
in the "Detail" tab also, but the other options in that screen don't get changed as often and it would save a lot of switching between
This idea is also in the to-do melting pot already. :)
PastorDave wrote: 6) If I accidentally click on the program's icon twice, it opens another copy of it. There should be a way that the user has the choice
It is sad when we cannot remember that we have the program running isn't it? How many times have I made a coffee because (TW cannot do it yet)
to find ......... well you know. :)
PastorDave wrote: 7) Make it so that the program makes me a cup of coffee in the morning? :)
See above

Jon
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

PastorDave wrote: When I went to just move it using my mouse and holding down the left button, it went behind a book view and I lost it. I had to close the book views to find it and drag it out again to where I could see it again with the book views open. No fun, but at least I got it back. <lol> :)
Not sure to be honest how this is possible. I assume that as you were moving the search window with your mouse over the main TW window, it got docked there and it's height was so small that you could not discern it.
Just a tip: hold down the CTRL key while moving a floating window so it will not re-dock accidentaly.
See above: floating windows are always on top, unless i misunderstood.
3) In the top menu, instead of just "Open new book view", how about having it right there in the menu where those are listed,

There are many idea about this (and what Jon suggested).
It's on the todo list, but not sure if it is such a high priority.
I think that once the new ver is officially out, priorities might change due to user demand. For sure, i will do my best to keep up.
4) Btw, have you ever thought about using a more common key for the Search function? You know, like <CTRL> S or something?
CTRL+S is also used for 'Save'. And it is used in the Book view. Window-specific shortcuts should be with F-keys.
6) If I accidentally click on the program's icon twice, it opens another copy of it. There should be a way that the user has the choice
Added in todo to add an option.
7) Make it so that the program makes me a cup of coffee in the morning? :)
One for me also :)
Costas
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

JG wrote:
PastorDave wrote: 3) In the top menu, instead of just "Open new book view", how about having it right there in the menu where those are listed,

> There is an icon for opening a new book view, on the book view, below the module icons.
> I also agree that having the menu that shows the sets you have made for the book view,
> would be convenient as a sub-menu, so one could open a new view with a certain set.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about for book views that already exist, not new ones.

PastorDave wrote: 5) In the Search window itself, it has a lot of cool functions, but if there was one thing I would change, it would be to have the ability
> This idea is also in the to-do melting pot already. :)

Way cool! :)

PastorDave wrote: 6) If I accidentally click on the program's icon twice, it opens another copy of it. There should be a way that the user has the choice
> It is sad when we cannot remember that we have the program running isn't it? How many times
> have I made a coffee because (TW cannot do it yet) to find ......... well you know. :)

I told you, I'm blond! So help me out here Jon, will ya?! <lol!> :)

And as for the first item, it did happen. I just dragged the search window down and it disappeared.

And I know that normally it does stay floating on top, but it disappeared on me, dude! :)