Apocrypha Support

Ideas and suggestions about new features
DarkiYahu

Re: Apocrypha Support

Post by DarkiYahu »

So here is my opinion on the subject, not that it is worth much but anyway.

In regards of having the extra books, also for search of Strongs like the HiSB module and ABP - and not only in Greek but the Aramaic version would be great tools for more sentences for use in regards of trying to find out the meaning of the word by the context. It would give a bigger chance of finding more hits to look at how they use one particular word. Further having the Aramaic Peshitta in a form of the HiSB with Old, New and the Apocrypha would be gold to have for research.

I'm neither fond of Romanism and neither Orthodoxy - for obvious reasons on there adultery with idols and images and thereby worship of Satan. But I do see the value of having a greater potential of views on words to see how they of old understood the words from the context of sentences, even if it is just the Greek Apocrypha added to the ABP module or something like that.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

DarkiYahu wrote:So here is my opinion on the subject, not that it is worth much but anyway.

In regards of having the extra books, also for search of Strongs like the HiSB module and ABP - and not only in Greek but the Aramaic version would be great tools for more sentences for use in regards of trying to find out the meaning of the word by the context. It would give a bigger chance of finding more hits to look at how they use one particular word. Further having the Aramaic Peshitta in a form of the HiSB with Old, New and the Apocrypha would be gold to have for research.

I'm neither fond of Romanism and neither Orthodoxy - for obvious reasons on there adultery with idols and images and thereby worship of Satan. But I do see the value of having a greater potential of views on words to see how they of old understood the words from the context of sentences, even if it is just the Greek Apocrypha added to the ABP module or something like that.
I personally agree (now).
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

What if certain books could be included in a Bible search? I'm not sure how it would be done program wise. Perhaps the books could have a Bible format and be loaded as a secondary source. I've got coffee roasting brain. I need to get my coding brain back on.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

jonathangkoehn wrote:What if certain books could be included in a Bible search? I'm not sure how it would be done program wise. Perhaps the books could have a Bible format and be loaded as a secondary source. I've got coffee roasting brain. I need to get my coding brain back on.
I wouldn't even dare tackle the issue :)
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Yea good points sounds complicated.
Would it be possible to add Bibles to the Book search. But more as a general search not a complicated morphology etc. search.
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

My idea was to have ability to assign dictionaries (popup) to books as is possible with bibles.
This would make it possible to find definitions of words that haven't been modified due to morphological changes.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7543
That however wouldn't address the morphology or Strongs numbering issue since that has to be added in-line with the text.

It must be a bit complicated though to do (also not anyone besides me has requested) and likely programing time and corrections are the priority.

We have our wish lists but I am very happy with theWord software just like it is presently.
hpCenturion

Post by hpCenturion »

Dear Costas, I value the work you have done. TheWord is very a useful tool to study a book we call the bible. As a software developer I do not agree with the reasons given by many in this thread: mixing the opinion of what constitute a collection of books on the bible - theological reason - (66 or more if you include the so call Apocrypha) with a technical reason to satisfy user needs to include those extra books in the Bible navigation panel forcing users to use them as book modules as a workaround.

Adding those extra books as "books" it is an inconvenience. Other packages (eg eSword) accommodated this request after their initial design. TheWord is an excellent program for scholars or those interested in studying the bible compared to what is available outhere; thus the content extend that theWord should allow (66 books or more) it is just a feature that users are demanding to control. However, I do know it requires resources and time.

I landed here looking for a good replacement of Bibleworks (the product have been discontinued) I see a great value theWord provides and its potential to keep growing. Thanks for your effort but please consider adding this feature as a technical request
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

If the extra biblical books were added after Revelation say 67, 68, etc. would this work in the Bible format. That way it wouldn't mess with being inserted inter-testamental. I know the ot, nt, and ont lines are hard coded perhaps an addition to the format would be an addition of apocry=1 However I could see how it could get complicated with how many books is that what is the standard formatting etc. Costas the German Bible I'm working on does much like how you did it with the normal books and with these extra biblical books added indicating their chapter and maybe verse count. I appreciate the speed of the search right now and would hate to see it slowed down by extra biblical books. I know this point could be disagreed on. But I'm sure many would rather not have slower search speeds.
hpCenturion

Post by hpCenturion »

Adding two configurable keys (viewID and SortID) perhaps does not disrupts the current relationships among the Books in the Bible and the current modules, should you consider adding support for Bible Views that includes other books, assuming BookID is the main foreign key driving all relationships among tables/modules. Here is an example of the proposal

1.1.1 - viewID=1->Userview; SortID=1->1st Book; BookID=1->Genesis
1.2.2 - viewID=1->Userview; SortID=2->2nd Book; BookID=2->Exodus
-----
1.15.15 - viewID=1->Userview; SortID=15->15th Book; BookID=15->Ezra
1.16.16 - viewID=1->Userview; SortID=16->16th Book; BookID=16->Nehemiah
1.17.101 - viewID=1->Userview; SortID=17->17th Book; BookID=101->1 Esdras
1.18.102 - viewID=1->Userview; SortID=18->18th Book; BookID=102->2 Esdras
1.19.103 - viewID=1->Userview; SortID=19->19th Book; BookID=103->Tobit
1.20.104 - viewID=1->Userview; SortID=20->20th Book; BookID=104->Judith
1.21.17 - viewID=1->Userview; SortID=21->21th Book; BookID=17->Esther
----

The SortID will only be used at the navigation panel (Tree View) without affecting everything else.

ViewID=0 as default will not show apocrypha books(as current version). viewID=1 allows users with customized books and book sorting of their like.

Please note that BookID respect the current IDs of the 66 books

Next step: keeping the development team in my prayers so they one day implement this feature!

God Bless You!
Biep

Post by Biep »

Adding books would be a very useful first step - but there is more.
I don't think 1 John 5:7 is canonical, and should like to drop it. Others may think some of the extra verses from the LXX are canonical, and would like to see those in their natural context.
I don't believe anything in Mark after 16:8 is canonical, but some believe the "shorter ending" is, and would like to see that INSTEAD of the longer ending (but not pretending it IS the longer ending).

And so on.
I suppose somewhere there is a mapping from the verse list in modules to books/verses. Making that mapping dynamic would be a good way to start.
But I don't want to press Costas into doing whatever.
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

I know I shouldn't add input to this topic, I know I know, however. I my "opinion" I don't believe it was or is Costa's goal to explore or decide canonical questions. Though I have not spoken directly to Costs about this, but based on the evidence that I have observed over the years of using theWORD and being involved on this forum, I personally think Costa's goal was to create a software program that would allow people to study the Word of God no matter what level the user may be on, and if I may say he has done one excellent job providing just that. I think the discussion (debate) what should or should not be included in the Word of God be left to those who has expertise in that field of difficult study. For me, if I study what is available my walk with God will be so so much closer and I am and have been working on that for a number of years. Personally, I am greatly thankful to God for putting into the heart of a man such as Costa to provide this excellent work. No offence intended to anyone on this forum in anyway.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Dave, Well spoken!

Sometimes we can take wrong turns down the theological path and begin wandering away from our first Love, namely Jesus. All of us have varying theological perspectives regarding the word of God and what is/is not the word of God. Frankly, until we reach a level of accurately reading and interpreting the original languages we really do not have the proper understanding on what God's word really says. And then when we acquire that level we begin understanding that the only thing that matters is falling deeper in love with the King of kings! So how about we leave the canonical rewriting/interpretation for another time and place and get on with our use of TW and our personal growth in Jesus? Love you guys!

Darrel
Biep

Post by Biep »

@UBC4ME: Amen!

If I want to search for words throughout the complete LXX it is in order better to understand the meaning and nuances when the word occurs in the NT - not to try to convince anyone that my views of canonicity are correct.
I just meant to say that if new flexibility is used to adapt theWord to one's views of canonicity, then much more would be needed than just adding extra books. But for word and grammar studies having those books at the end would suffice.
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

I just created an .ot module of this. It will not work for Book Headings, Cross references, Parallel/Compare and anything to do with existing OT Bible arrangement. But Copy and Bible Search Tool works. The references are included within the verses.

Arranged accordingly:

1 Esdras
2 Esdras
Esther+ (additon to Estther)
1 Macabees
2 Macabees
3 Macabees
4 Macabees
Manasseh
Tobias
Judith
Wisdom
Sirach
Baruch
Letter of Jeremiah
Daniel+ (additions to Daniel)
Attachments
bible search tool.jpg
bible search tool.jpg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 11036 times
Copy Range.jpg
Copy Range.jpg (187.89 KiB) Viewed 11036 times
Last edited by malayangbiblia on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edmund
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

English = KJV
Greek source=http://www.archive.org/details/septuagintversio1900bren and Apostoliki Diakonia 1904. Special thanks to Steve Sweigart for providing the source texts!

Note:
1. The Text of the KJVA is not 100% proofread. Please report typos so I can update the module asap.
2. The Greek Text is not 100% aligned with the source of the KJVA so you will see a few missing sentences or verses from the Greek Apocrypha.

Proofreading of the KJV text is ongoing. Latest fix are found here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!As-j6IT9oksXheJHOiR ... A?e=KWPO75
For more info about the Apocryphal Books (coming from an Evangelical background), please go to this Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 3602017764
Attachments
Aprocrypha the Word.png
Aprocrypha the Word.png (88.24 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
Apocrypha.zip
(598.38 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Last edited by malayangbiblia on Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Edmund