Apocrypha Support

Ideas and suggestions about new features
Douglas

Re: Apocrypha Support

Post by Douglas »

Jay Fuzzell wrote:
csterg wrote:
Moreover, i see that it would be useful to also include the Bibles with deuterocanonicals as Books, so people do have the whole 'Bible' the way they expect it, but in the Book view.
I would be very happy with this. I am a Catholic and the deuterocanonical books are as important to me as the rest of the bible. But I also respect the view of Costas. That is why I have the deuterocanonical books in book view.
DrMikey,
Thank you for your highly thoughtful and insightful comments. It's easy to show respect toward those with whom we agree, but it takes effort to find common ground with those who hold different points of view. As we are told in scripture, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God," and it is refreshing to come across a person like you who takes this to heart. As an evangelical Christian, I respect that you stood up for the teachings of your Church regarding the deuterocanonical books, but I also especially appreciate that you respect the views Costas holds too. Like you, I think he has put together a great software program, and it's my hope that thousands of Catholics from around the world will choose to use it. In my opinion, he's doing everything he can to come up with a solution that will not violate his deeply held beliefs. It's hard for me to imagine how anyone can expect more than this.
Best wishes,
Jay

HI All, I wanted to let you know that we have recently added the Apochrypha as a general book. You can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca66 ... cb6229b7d5

You can search according to tags "new" or date uploaded to see the most recent additions. There are about 30 or so.
Blessings,

Doug
Douglas Hamp
Glory to God in the highest!
JG

Post by JG »

Doug, I like the way that you have formatted the verses with bookmarks, and thus can be hyperlinked to, from other modules, Chapter and verse/s style.

Jon
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
miken

Post by miken »

Doug - (or anyone) - this link is no longer active.

Is this available elsewhere?
Thanks
Mike
JG

Post by JG »

Hi, Doug's site is listed on theWord website modules page.
http://www.theword.gr/index.php?article ... &l=english

[obsolete links removed]
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
miken

Post by miken »

Thanks Jon.
Very helpful - especially to put the URL for the file itself: - I downloaded direct with 'Save as....'
And also checked out the webpage: Yep, 700 files is a lot to look through! :lol:
Thanks again
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

If anyone is interested, I already have the Apocrypha in a book module if they want it.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
“For My yoke [is] easy and My burden is light.”
Belisarius77

Post by Belisarius77 »

As an Eastern Orthodox Christian I would also like to see more support for the deutero-canonicals in the versions which originally included them at least but I understand Costas' POV.

Are there any 3rd party modules like with the RSV or NRSV out there?

The links above don't seem to be working.

God bless,
David
JG

Post by JG »

Belisarius77 wrote:As an Eastern Orthodox Christian I would also like to see more support for the deutero-canonicals in the versions which originally included them at least but I understand Costas' POV.

Are there any 3rd party modules like with the RSV or NRSV out there?

The links above don't seem to be working.

God bless,
David
The modules can only be made with the supplied data..... Where there have been cases of more than 66 books they have been put into a "book format" module, as has been the case with REB, GNT, and CPDV official modules from theWord site.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

Costas would know for certain, but it occurred to me that if an Bible module creation package added the Apocryphal/Deutero-canonical books, would those bibles that don't include them appear as missing them? And what about the order or combined books? It could get quite complicated.

The 66 books seem to be included in almost every set of 'Scriptures', making them an ideal "fixed set" for bible module creation. If the 'book' format is used for any other books, these problems disappear. Hopefully, this gives no great offence to those who regard these books are equally (or partially or mostly equally) "God-breathed". That is, the present scheme accommodates almost all,and while not ideal for all, the ability to create a book version of the balance of the books sacred to others allows for that accommodation.

You can't please everyone all the time, but if you can please most of the people most of the time, and avoid offending the rest most of the time, you're doing good. :-)
Belisarius77

Post by Belisarius77 »

Being Orthodox I do accept the deuteros as Bible and, while I wish they were in the Bible view for those versions which include them, I understand where Costas is coming from since I was raised Protestant.

TheWord software is something I am excited about and, really, having the Apocrypha/ Deuteros is only a minor inconvenience for me (btw, is it possible to make notes in modules within the Book View?)

There is a module that has come out recently that would be of interest to those of us who love the Deuteros: OT Apocraphy with Additions.gbk.twm 1.2 over at wordmodules.com

It is hyperlinked so if a commentary or other module references a verse from Tobit or Ecclesiasticus, etc. you can hop right to the citation. Also, it is pretty easy to navigate if you are looking for a specific passage.

Not a perfect solution for EOs and RCs but we may be making a bigger deal about this issue than needs to be made.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Belisarius77 wrote: TheWord software is something I am excited about and, really, having the Apocrypha/ Deuteros is only a minor inconvenience for me (btw, is it possible to make notes in modules within the Book View?)
You can make notes and links to any type of resource, it is just not so straight-forward as with the Bible view, where a commentary kind of provides the links directly to the predefined verses.
But using a general book you can have links to other mods.
Costas
Kpacita

Post by Kpacita »

I think you need to support TheWord versified books. But unlike e-Sword should be allowed to add any book, not just those that are owned by a specific group. Pongo examples: I find that having the Apocrypha in a collection is nothing bad. I do not think these are inspired but I have most of them. e-Sword to add 2 Esdras No two chapters of the Latin version. I see no support for the books of Enoch, the Book of Jasher, Qumran Manuscripts and others while not important to Bible study if it's okay to have them in a library reference. I suggest to include a new section called versed or Ancient Literature Books.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Kpacita wrote:I think you need to support TheWord versified books. But unlike e-Sword should be allowed to add any book, not just those that are owned by a specific group. Pongo examples: I find that having the Apocrypha in a collection is nothing bad. I do not think these are inspired but I have most of them. e-Sword to add 2 Esdras No two chapters of the Latin version. I see no support for the books of Enoch, the Book of Jasher, Qumran Manuscripts and others while not important to Bible study if it's okay to have them in a library reference. I suggest to include a new section called versed or Ancient Literature Books.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Actually theWord supports arbitrary book hierarchies that allows you to do exactly that. This is how the apocrypha and other books are actually formatted and supported.
Costas
Biep

Post by Biep »

Dear Costas,

Thanks so much for your program and the work you keep putting in it. I fully understand your position regarding the apocryphal books. In my view, ideally the ending of Mark (16:9-), the comma Ioanneum (1 John 5:7) and comparable passages would also be purged out..

But I like to study the use of LXX vocabulary in the NT, and for that it would be very handy to have (somewhere - a book view is fine) the possibility to have a complete LXX including word codings (à la Strong's) and morphological information, so that I can check where this or that verb is being used in the perfect in the LXX - and then switch to the corresponding Hebrew the way one can switch Bible translations in the Bible view. (of several apocryphal books and passages Hebrew versions have been found in Qumran).
Often LXX usage links NT Greek words to OT Hebrew, and tracing those links can be very informative.

Is there any chance theWord will accommodate such usage at some point?

Either way: thanks!
Biep.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Biep,
I see your point and, to be honest, if i had started today the design of theWord I would probably have made it different. Unfortunately the technical difficulty of incorporating this at the moment is quite important.
Costas