Fuzzy match indication

Ideas and suggestions about new features
JG

Fuzzy match indication

Post by JG »

Costas, thank you for the fixes and 676.
Just a suggestion. Currently books that have word matches are shown with bold and underline. Would it be possible to have "Fuzzy matches with a different underline color? I think it would then reduce the need to keep turning "Fuzzy match on and off" because you just select from the result.

Just another observation on commentaries, I don't know if this situation is bad.
You can have a commentary with, for example.
Gen 3:2-4
Gen 3:2-5
Gen 3:4
If I am at Gen 3:4 in the bible, which comment does it go for?
Should multiple comments in the one commentary module be indicated? or allowed?

Jon
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Fuzzy match indication

Post by csterg »

JG wrote:Costas, thank you for the fixes and 676.
Just a suggestion. Currently books that have word matches are shown with bold and underline. Would it be possible to have "Fuzzy matches with a different underline color? I think it would then reduce the need to keep turning "Fuzzy match on and off" because you just select from the result.
There are already too many colors and indications for one to remember. (maybe this is a weak point of the sw?)
Give me a better suggestion pls. Maybe bold - nonbold or something else that does not distract too much
Just another observation on commentaries, I don't know if this situation is bad.
You can have a commentary with, for example.
Gen 3:2-4
Gen 3:2-5
Gen 3:4
If I am at Gen 3:4 in the bible, which comment does it go for?
After a lot of thought ... Gen 3:4
Should multiple comments in the one commentary module be indicated? or allowed?
You bring up 2 issues:
1. indicated: yes but how? This is what the 'topics tree' is in the Book view. You look there :) OK, what else?
2. allowed: maybe yes. This last build has fixes on how the comments appear in the 'inline commentaries'. Try to put a commentary like the above inline with the Bible text. Notice that all 3 comments will be shown (in vs 2, 3, 5). If i had multiple comments on a verse things would be harder. It seems an 'advanced' feature that does not add many things. I may choose to implement it in the future.

Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Costas, this is not a reply to the previous post exactly but I see problems with the way things are working, I am sure there is something wrong at the "root level of things."
I will start with a simple one.
(All items from your site)676
One bible view -KJV Gen1:1
One book view - Scofield selected
All available books shown on multiple rows.

Mouse scroll down a verse at a time to Gen 1:10
Now chose TSK, scofield... etc and you should find a problem now that the verse reference it is looking for is Gen, because it is not taking the reference from the bible view as the "Root". (dictionary words and fuzzy match is even worse,Tries to match commentary)

I would say that until you select a verse or a word in the book tree, that the word or verse that is being used as the "Root" from the bible view, should not change.

Whereas if you start by selecting a subject or scripture ref in the bookview this should be the "Root" information, and shown in a "new" word/scripture selected box. This word/scripture ref would then stay untill cleared and replaced.

(I think you will also find things not working properly if the history arrows are used also)
This all seems too complex to explain in words.
Am I Making sense Costas?
I have spent a long time considering this. I just wish that some others could see it also.
Jon
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

JG wrote:Costas, this is not a reply to the previous post exactly but I see problems with the way things are working, I am sure there is something wrong at the "root level of things."

Now chose TSK, scofield... etc and you should find a problem now that the verse reference it is looking for is Gen, because it is not taking the reference from the bible view as the "Root".
OK, this is clear. Will fix.
(dictionary words and fuzzy match is even worse,Tries to match commentary)
I fixed exactly this in the latest build. Can you be specific pls?
I would say that until you select a verse or a word in the book tree, that the word or verse that is being used as the "Root" from the bible view, should not change.

Whereas if you start by selecting a subject or scripture ref in the bookview this should be the "Root" information, and shown in a "new" word/scripture selected box. This word/scripture ref would then stay untill cleared and replaced.
I agree. Need to work out the sequence in my mind.
(I think you will also find things not working properly if the history arrows are used also)
This all seems too complex to explain in words.
Am I Making sense Costas?
Absolutely. This is not hard to fix.
An example with the history arrows problems will also help me.
I have spent a long time considering this. I just wish that some others could see it also.
Jon
Thanks. I can, that's enough for now :)
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Costas, thank you for your reply.

I think that once you think in these terms.

Whereas if you start by selecting a subject or scripture ref in the book view this should be the "Root" information, and shown in a "new" word/scripture selected box. This word/scripture ref would then stay until cleared and replaced.

that the other problems will be solved.................enough for now

As for the history I will look at this after the fixes.

Quote:
(dictionary words and fuzzy match is even worse,Tries to match commentary)

I fixed exactly this in the latest build. Can you be specific pls?

Now chose TSK, scofield... etc and you should find a problem now that the verse reference it is looking for is Gen, because it is not taking the reference from the bible view as the "Root". (dictionary words and fuzzy match is even worse,Tries to match commentary)
Follow the above as an example, Now select DTN, then mouse scroll verse by verse to Gen 1:18. there is no DTN commentary on this verse but websters dictionary picks up on the "Root" word that has been changed to "Gen". and so it underlines as having found a word.

As you said Costas, this is enough for now.
Is there a new beta after 676 soon?

Jon

P.S I would use dotted underline for a fuzzy matched word.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi Jon,
i went through many changes to fix the issue with the commentaries.
I cannot verify the problem with the dictionary.

I have been sick a few days and absent from the forum, but i will try to catch up. I would really like to clear all these issues since they are very important and should work properly. I will soon upload a build so could you recheck this behavior?

I want to add some more fixed that have been reported and i will then upload,
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Costas, thanks for the fixes so far. I will look at the dictionary problem with the new build to see if it is still there.
Jon