[www.theword.net]

Twitter live feed  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Shared study notes 

Post Shared study notes
All,

I'm planning on leading a small group Bible study, specifically focusing on digital tools for Bible study. I plan to invite everyone in our study to bring a laptop for use with theWord, or a tablet/smartphone for looking up Bible passages. What's an effective way to share the study notes I write with the group? In particular, I'd like a collaborative experience, where anyone in the group could add text or scripture references, which would automatically appear on everyone's device on real time.

1. Perhaps I could place my study notes on Dropbox, then share this with the group. This allows everyone with a PC to see my notes, but collaboration doesn't work -- to update the screen, I have to exit theWord, wait for Dropbox to sync now that the notes aren't locked, then re-start theWord. This is probably the least helpful option.

2. Use a sharing service such as Google Docs or OneDrive's Word. Then, any text I highlight then copy which contains scripture references will produce a very nice pop-up with the references. Or, I could copy and paste from the Web to theWord's study notes and read them there. This is reasonable, but requires a lot of manual intervention to continually transfer data between the collaborative environment (Googe Docs / OneDrive's Word) and theWord.

However, with either option, tablet/smart phone users can only view the text, but have no ability to quickly look up a scripture reference.

3. Copy and paste my notes into Blogger / Wordpress / etc., then add the reftagger (http://www.reftagger.com) script so that all Scripture references will pop up automatically. This provides very nice tablet/smart phone support, but loses the interactivity. I'm not aware of a way to include this in Google Docs or OneDrive's Word.

Are there better ways of achieving this goal? Thanks for any ideas!

Bryan

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:06 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Shared study notes
Hello Bryan,
unfortunately theWord is not design with such a mindset. No real-time collaboration is really possible. The best you could achieve is to share notes at the end by sharing your files through a file-sharing mechanism, as you already said,
sorry
Costas

Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:45 am
Profile WWW

Costas,

Thanks for the reply -- I understand. theWord is great and I use it all the time!

Bryan

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:02 pm

Where in Windows 10 can I find the files that contain my verse highlighting, notes, and changes or additions I have placed into a particular commentary (edited enabled)???

Thanks in advance for the assistance...

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:19 pm
Site Admin

menu Help->About->File locations.
Check the manual, it has a list of all files
Costas

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:51 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks Costas !!

Keith