Suggestion

Ideas and suggestions about new features
johncalvinhall

Suggestion

Post by johncalvinhall »

I've taken a look at this software a year or so earlier, and it doesn't appear to be further along. Don't get me wrong, I think what you have developed is very good and is quite profitable, but as e-Sword (another very fine free Bible program) knows, stagnation kills.

I like what I see here. The UI looks clean and it has a gentle learning curve to it's use. There are several other Bible programs who look like they are nothing more than cookie-cutters of each other (i.e. Bible-Max, BiblePro, etc.). There is no real reason why I would use them, because I get the exact same thing from what I already use.

Personally, I have been using Bible programs since Online Bible was at version 3. I now use Logos Scholars, BibleWorks 8, and e-Sword. What we need today is a clean and easy Bible Program that will smoothly integrate into our word processors. e-Sword uses ctrl-shift-C in their software, which works fine, but you have to hop over to the program, look up the verse(s), highlight them, and then copy. Once done, we then have to move back to the word processor, and paste them.

What would be valuable if there were a Bible Program that would recognize the typing of verses in the word processor. and allow you to hot-key the verses into the document, or quickly open up to the passage. Logos does this, but demands the use of it's go-between dialogue box to copy the text into the word processor. You also have to spend $$$ for it.

I also like e-Sword's ability to save the passage format, and wish they would allow a more customizable format.

These are suggestions from a user who spends hours in his Bible software. Whoever provides software like this really has a tool Bible preachers/ teachers/ scholars can use.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello John,
what version of the program are you using and you are referring to?
From the past year, the program has move along dramatically. Are you sure you are using one of the latest builds?

Costas
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

By the way:
in your word processor, if you select a verse ref, and click CTRL+C -> CTRL+ALT+V -> CTRL+V you will get what you want (while TW is running). No need to go back and forth to the program...
Costas
johncalvinhall

Post by johncalvinhall »

Well, shut my mouth!

I had looked at version 2 and noticed that version 3 was still in Beta, so I had concluded nothing was done.

Now that I am playing with it a little more, I am impressed.

It's a shame that the ImportTool won't handle locked modules, but that's fine; you have a good cross-referencer that searches for pre-existing modules.

I will also have to try out your suggestion on copy and paste into my wp.

Am eager to see how that works!

Thank you,
jch
preahkumpii

Post by preahkumpii »

Hello johncalvinhall,

Costas is so non-bragadocious about his program. :D Everything you mentioned can be done in TW3. Now, as Costas mentioned, it depends somewhat on which version you have. TW is on the brink of a major release in a very short period of time. At the top right of this forum page, is the RC2 build of TW soon to be released as the final version 3. It is the link in red below the search box. "Clean and easy" is a very description for TW3. The Clipboard Monitor and Copy Verses dialog far exceed any Bible program I have ever used. Within TW, you can customize the way a passage is copied and therefore pasted into the word processor. And, the customization options are very, very extensive. And, once you have set the options, TW saves them so that when you do what Costas mentioned in post, it pastes the passage exactly how you want it to. Now, the Clipboard Monitor (CM) in TW is what makes this integration with any other program possible. The CM is running by default when TW is running. So, if you are reading and you come across a verse ref that you want to see, you simply copy the reference (or the entire paragraph, page, document, etc.) and TW parses and displays the text of those references therein. Now, if you are typing, you simply type the reference, select the reference, and press the key sequence Costas mentioned, and the verses will be pasted to your document, and without switching windows. What you are actually doing is copying the reference(s), the CM is parsing and displaying them, then you are copying what the CM displayed, then pasting it into the document. IMHO, TW stands alone in the Bible software world, even in comparison to very well known and highly expensive programs. I think when using TW version 3, you will find that too, at least I hope so. Good day!

Adam

EDIT: johncalvinhall, I saw your reply while I was posting mine. Just consider it added info! Good day again!
Adam
Skip_a_roo

Post by Skip_a_roo »

Good information. I have been using two things to accomplish this task. One being the Word macros available from e-sword. The second being a standalone program called "Instaverse". Both work fine but having Instaverse running in the memory can be nettlesome at times. Anytime it recognizes something as a Bible reference it takes over and throws up a pop-up taking you out of the program you were running.

It has a neat feature though, select a reference and use Alt-F8 and it pastes the verse or group of verses into your word processor. I like the format that it comes into the wp in. Reference/Version(bold and italics) followed by the verse.

I am going to be playing with the one in TW now. Thanks!
faithman100

Post by faithman100 »

instaverse will not run in Vista