Search for References

Ideas and suggestions about new features
jaredaseltzer

Search for References

Post by jaredaseltzer »

Please add a feature that can search .twm files for Bible References.

When preparing a teaching on, say, John 3:16, I'd like to search my Book modules to see what they might have to say on the passage.
JG

Re: Search for References

Post by JG »

I requested that we have an indexing for all verses in modules but it has not seen any action in the last 8 years, due to circumstances.....
This in my opinion is a much needed feature to open up the data in books, dictionaries, and commentaries.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

Are not commentary modules created for this very purpose? Other books are created for research on any topic/word within the verses you are studying. It's just a matter of exploring those resources available for us.
Edmund
jaredaseltzer

Post by jaredaseltzer »

Commentaries are arranged by verse, of course, but if Joe Blow writes a book with a tagged reference to John 3:16, there's no systematic way to find it. Huge Bummer.
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

An example of how indexing a commentary could be helpful:

An OT commentary on 1Ki 18:4 might have some very helpful discussion on John 3:16. But most of us will never read it because the commentary is not indexed, and that particular information will probably never be read.
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
therapon

Post by therapon »

Can't remember now where it came from. It was a collection of Puritan works, book modules, with an associated index formatted as a commentary module. In the About, it says:
Scripture Index of a collection of Puritan books. This file is computer generated by some TCL scripts.
The books originally came from CCEL and archive.org

It would be wonderful to have an indexing feature like that built-in to TW, perhaps automatically generated/updated when commentary and book modules are added. Bible modules are indexed/re-indexed when added or changed....
jaredaseltzer

Post by jaredaseltzer »

Or at the very least, create (or allow the automatic creation of) an additional, final topic page in a book module, a scriptural reference index of sorts, that comprehensively lists all scripture references contained within (and in standardized reference format that would make searching very easy.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Could someone take a bit of time and explain this? Is it that topics are not searchable?

Edit "I see books topics tree is searchable but not commentary topic trees"
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I could see part of the problem being that if a user has Colossians or Col or Colosenses. That is shorten names, and different languages could make it hard.

A not so fun work around is to always include the topic tree Reference inside your content.
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Thanks Rubio
isaachunter2

Post by isaachunter2 »

This topic looks to be about a year old, but I've had some luck, out of necessity, running searches through all of my modules for specific verse references (i.e. Matthew 1:1). Depending on which book or commentary I'm searching, I have to use their preferred format of reference. Other than that, it seems to work rather well. An indexing system built in would be nice, though.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I have implemented Pastor Baldwin's method and it does work very well. You might want to give it a go.

Darrel
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I lost the link to Pastor Baldwin's file. Can someone give it to me? Thanks!

Darrel
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »