Beta testing for new version of theWord 4

Discuss the beta released of theWord. Submit bugs and ideas concerning the beta releases.
csterg
Site Admin

Beta testing for new version of theWord 4

Post by csterg »

Hi all,
the new version of theWord (will be named theWord 4) is almost ready.
With a few exceptions, all functions of the new version are now completed. Since there are so many new features in this release, I would be really grateful if you can help with testing.
The latest new features (reading plans, devotions, module installation, etc) do require some detailed testing, so I would like to urge you to try them out, try to break them and keep an eye open for inconsistent behavior.

I will allow some time while I add the final details, including update of the manual, for more testing so the official new version will have as few bugs as possible.

The best way to test new features (as you may know) is by reading the changelog.txt file that comes with each beta version archive. Please, keep an eye there for things that you might want to test.

One of the things that are required for the new version is a set of 'reading plan templates' that the end user may download. Although the new version can automatically create new plans with a variety of settings, there are 'special purpose' reading plans (with specific focus on passages and combinations) that would be interesting to have. If you want to help put together a few, and you know or have used reading plans that have proved helpful, you are welcome.

Feel free to create different threads on this forum for specific areas of testing you are doing and want to discuss and keep this thread for general issues regarding the new version.

Thank you all.
Costas
Doctordavet

Re: Beta testing for new version of theWord 4

Post by Doctordavet »

Hi, Costas,

is this .1300 that you are asking us to check out for bugs? Or is version 4 (experimental) something different?

If version 4 (experimental) is not the same as .1300, is version 4 (experimental) available? If so, where? If not, when might it be ready for us to take a look at?
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Doctordavet wrote:Hi, Costas,

is this .1300 that you are asking us to check out for bugs? Or is version 4 (experimental) something different?

If version 4 (experimental) is not the same as .1300, is version 4 (experimental) available? If so, where? If not, when might it be ready for us to take a look at?
There is only one beta; the current .1300 (and subsequent releases) are the one(s) that will be rename to theWord4.
Costas
pfpeller

Post by pfpeller »

Costas,

I was wondering if the new hybrid book/commentaries will show up in the commentary links section? I use commentary links in one of my Bible views and find them useful, but I am not sure how many others use them. I cannot seem to see to see NIC/Romans in the list of files to add as commentary links. If commentary links are not widely used, maybe this is not worth the effort.

Blessings,
Peter
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

pfpeller wrote:Costas,

I was wondering if the new hybrid book/commentaries will show up in the commentary links section? I use commentary links in one of my Bible views and find them useful, but I am not sure how many others use them. I cannot seem to see to see NIC/Romans in the list of files to add as commentary links. If commentary links are not widely used, maybe this is not worth the effort.

Blessings,
Peter
Hi Peter,
"commentary links with hybrid mods" is a feature that is not yet implemented;
Costas
engellion

Post by engellion »

csterg wrote:One of the things that are required for the new version is a set of 'reading plan templates' that the end user may download. Although the new version can automatically create new plans with a variety of settings, there are 'special purpose' reading plans (with specific focus on passages and combinations) that would be interesting to have.
How do I create a "special purpose" reading plan (eg. Reading through the Bible chronologically in one year)? I have a plan in a plain text file that is already split up into the respective daily verse combinations for this purpose, but how do I make a template out of it.

Do I just cut and paste into the "Passages to include" field under "Custom" in the Setup a new Bible reading plan area? Or is there a specific template file to use somewhere for this?

Thanks,
Paul.
PaulC

Check out YouTube for theWord Bible Software Tutorial Series 1
A series of introductory video tutorials for theWord Bible Software