Two Possible Issues with .1303

Discuss the beta released of theWord. Submit bugs and ideas concerning the beta releases.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Two Possible Issues with .1303

Post by csterg »

Jeff wrote:This probably isn't related, but the only program I have that seems to cause problems with theWord somehow is Libre Office. Sometimes when I shut down Libre Office I can't open theWord even though it shows it's already running in the task bar (I can't open Libre Office again either).

I found that when that happens Libre Office leaves something called soffice.bin running that I have to kill to get back into theWord. It is a problem on my computer with Libre Office, and also OpenOffice when I tried it. I have searched in vain for a solution on their forums. The only thing I found that mitigates the problem is leaving the Office Quickstarter open.

It's a shot in the dark, and I suspect it's unrelated, especially as I haven't experienced the problem with two instances of theWord being open, but if it could be determined that everyone who has the same problem has another program installed like LibreOffice it might help? Also this isn't specific to the latest beta versions of theWord, but all including the release version, so I apologize if I'm way off base here.
I can suspect an issue with clipboard monitoring! Try to disable it temporarily and see what happens then
Costas
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

csterg wrote: I can suspect an issue with clipboard monitoring! Try to disable it temporarily and see what happens then
Costas
Hmmm, thanks Costas. I just tried to replicate the problem with clipboard monitoring still enabled by opening various docs and copying some. I didn't have any problems this time. I'll try disabling monitoring and see if it occurs. As it's an intermittent problem it may take awhile before I know for sure, and I don't know how long I can live without clipboard monitoring. :) I'll report back if I find something.

I do know from the Office forums other people have occasionally reported the problem with soffice not terminating, so I think it's a problem with Libre Office and not theWord, but I'm no expert when it comes to software.

Thanks!
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

csterg wrote: I can suspect an issue with clipboard monitoring! Try to disable it temporarily and see what happens then
Costas
It just happened with Clipboard monitoring disabled. I just remembered it seems to happen more often, but I think not exclusively, if I have Fire Fox open.

Strange thing; theWord just popped up when I clicked the "quote" button to reply here, now it won't come back after I minimized it (I haven't killed soffice yet). Also when theWord comes back after this happens it never comes back full screen (the window maximized) like I always leave it.

Should I have started another thread on this? I didn't mean to sidetrack this one. I didn't say anything earlier because I'm not convinced it's a problem with theWord. I think there must be others here who also use Open/Libre Office and you would have heard if it was a common problem.

I may try to close theWord (I always have it open) and try to get soffice to hang. It will probably be awhile more before I find out.

Thanks
Jeff

Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

Jeff,

I don't think you've hijacked my thread. It sounds like a related issue: for some reason, TW is not opening/closing the way we expect. That's why I was having trouble deleting a module: another instance of TW was open unbeknownst to me.

I think solving one of our issues may solve both.
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
JG

Post by JG »

@Costas,
without much thought on my part; would an alert from theWord to indicate there is another process running be of any help in this case and just in general perhaps it is good to be able to make an informed decision.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

Jon,

a popup window when starting a second occurrence would be very helpful (especially when you are unaware of the first occurrence!). Something like this:

"Do you want to start a second TheWord session while a first is still running?"

Yeah, that would be real helpful!
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Just to update: I haven't been able to repeat the problem with Libre Office soffice.bin not terminating if theWord is not running, but it seems to happen when theWord is running whether clipboard monitoring is on or not. But it doesn't happen all the time and I haven't been able to determine what other factor(s) may be involved.

Any other Open/Libre Office users out there who have or haven't had this issue?
Doctordavet wrote:Jeff,

I don't think you've hijacked my thread. It sounds like a related issue: for some reason, TW is not opening/closing the way we expect. That's why I was having trouble deleting a module: another instance of TW was open unbeknownst to me.

I think solving one of our issues may solve both.
Thanks Doctor Dave, I don't have much of a clue when it comes to software, so I'm never sure. :)
Jeff