.1320 not showing all of my commentary links

Discuss the beta released of theWord. Submit bugs and ideas concerning the beta releases.
blcjr

Re: .1320 not showing all of my commentary links

Post by blcjr »

DarrelW wrote:So how do these ICCNT modules differ from the ones Josh is producing?

Darrel
Josh does good work, but his focus is on a "basic" module that is pretty much the same for ES as it is for TW. What I'm producing is more intensively specialized in taking advantage of TW's hyperlinking capability (which I'm told ES lacks, but I have only limited personal knowledge of ES, so I'm going on what I've been told). The following image illustrates what I'm doing, that cannot be done with ES:

Three things to note. First are the three red arrows to "see on.." cross references. When you mouse over a link like this, it will pop up the relevant comment on the cited scripture, not the scripture text. The popup for "2:10" is illustrated in the example, though I've moved it from its original location so it wouldn't cover up other things I wanted to show with this image. This is what the author intended...for you to read what he wrote on another verse, rather than repeat himself in this verse. Most scholarly commentaries have these kinds of internal cross references. Plummer's Luke has hundreds of them. You will not see this in Josh's modules (which is not a slight, because he is producing for both ES and TW, and ES does not support this kind of hypertext popup).

Second, with some purple arrows I've pointed to some possibilities for future hypertext links. Not all sources will be readily available for something like this, but I believe, for example, that modules exist for Edersheim's books, so it should be possible to link to the cited section with a hyperlink. That's a project for another day (or year).

Third, I would just draw attention to the peculiar style of scripture references in this commentary, where Plummer usually omits the book reference for references to Luke. In the ES module for ICCNT, these are unlinked (I think the term is "tooltipped," so these are "not tooltipped"). There are thousands of such references in Plummer's commentary on Luke, which I've ("painstakingly") implemented here as hyperlinks. As I continue to proof what I've done, I see where I've missed some, and will continue to correct them as I come across them. But I'll move on to another book, and updates will occur when I have them all done and can link them back together into a single multivolume set.

But the type of work here is just more intensive than what Josh produces, and takes much more time. I do not doubt he could do what I am doing, and probably do some of it more efficiently because of his superior regex/macro abilities. But I am not sure how you can automate some of this, especially the internal cross references, because the style of reference not only varies from author to author, but some authors do not always follow a consistent style. My approach is to go through verse by verse, reading the commentary, and when I see a reference like the three in the example above, I hyperlink them. Slow, but effective. And it is quite educational and enlightening to go through a commentary this way, verse by verse, from start to finish. It is not the way commentaries are usually read.

Basil
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I understand. Please!! keep me in mind for any testing and/or release of your module(s). You can reach me here or PM me. I like what you are doing!

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

Doctordavet wrote:so, Jon, can we get your ICCNT posted somewhere?
Hi Dave,
I don't want to share this modified module.

@Costas,
Can the Importer be modified to handle the correction of both importing such modules and the fixing of already imported ones.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

JG wrote:
Hi Dave,

@Costas,
Can the Importer be modified to handle the correction of both importing such modules and the fixing of already imported ones.
If you tell me what should be fixed, then it's possible.
As for fixing existing ones, this is kind of different, maybe a small script or something
Costas
blcjr

Post by blcjr »

DarrelW wrote:I understand. Please!! keep me in mind for any testing and/or release of your module(s). You can reach me here or PM me. I like what you are doing!

Darrel
Well, I guess you could consider the individual modules ripe for "testing." Try as I might, I do not catch all the references that need linked. And also, careful as I am, I don't always catch the mistakes that creep in through the autodetect process. (The latter come from various situations where the autodetect process doesn't work well because of irregularities in the style of scripture references. I've gotten to where I can catch these on sight, most of the time, but I still miss some.) Just last night, I came across three verses with such errors in the recently released volume for Luke. This, despite going through the commentary verse by verse twice, and on many passages several times because of how often the comment on that passage was cross referenced.

So, if you use the individual modules, and come across any "broken links," or references to Luke or internal cross references with no link, let me know, so I can fix them. I will not go through the individual volumes I've already done again systematically until I get the individual volumes all done, and get ready to recombine them into a multivolume set.

Basil
JG

Post by JG »

csterg wrote:
JG wrote:
Hi Dave,

@Costas,
If you tell me what should be fixed, then it's possible.
As for fixing existing ones, this is kind of different, maybe a small script or something
Costas

Costas, here is the link to the file http://www.wordmodules.com/the-word-mod ... /76-iccnt/
There you can see all the 1-99 that are put there at all levels.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

Costas,

I'll manually correct the ICCNT "chapter by chapter" commentary, so, if that's the only one needing corrected, don't worry about writing a script to correct ones already finished. I should have that posted in 36 hours or so.

If it's possible to fix an eSword module coming in to TW with verses ranges set to "...:1-99," that would be good.

Along the lines of the converter, one more request: eSword dictionaries do not have the Dictionary Entry in the Definition field; eSword automatically adds the entry at the top of the definition. Would you consider having the converter bring the dictionary entry into the top of the definition as well?
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Doctordavet wrote: Along the lines of the converter, one more request: eSword dictionaries do not have the Dictionary Entry in the Definition field; eSword automatically adds the entry at the top of the definition. Would you consider having the converter bring the dictionary entry into the top of the definition as well?
This is actually a bad idea! This is like adding content where it should not be!
The header should NOT be part of the text; i have thought of it in the past (e.g. something like a custom header component) but it only takes space; moreover there is the combo box there that shows the topic
Costas

[JG]I have split the topic here and put it in the suggestions area. If you have any suggestions that are really not related to the feature being beta tested, please try to start a new topic in the comments and suggestions and link to it, so that fixing the beta can be the focus here and discussion can continue on the other topic.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4080