theWord 4 Release Candidate

Discuss the beta released of theWord. Submit bugs and ideas concerning the beta releases.
csterg
Site Admin

theWord 4 Release Candidate

Post by csterg »

Hi All,
the latest beta build of theWord (4.0.0.1337) is the final release candidate.
If you want to try out the default download package of version 4, here it is: http://www.theword.net/files/beta/theword-setup-en.exe

I would greatly appreciate any testing on the full package, especially first-time experience, manual, installer, etc.

The final version is planned to be released by Nov 4 (in the next 6 days). I don't expect any other changes apart from very minor issues and maybe some packaging changes.

Translators should try to update their translations if they want to make it for the official version (although there are minimal changes).

Feedback welcome,
Costas
blcjr

Re: theWord 4 Release Candidate

Post by blcjr »

Costas,

I just ran the setup.exe, selecting the "compact" mode with USB option. I am now about to start through the setup routine on first start, but I should note that I got a "Program Compatibility Assistant" popup at the end of the setup.exe process warning that "This program may not have installed correctly." I see that occasionally, and have always ignored it with impunity. But it might alarm some. Any idea of why that popup occurred?

FWIW, the OS is Vista (yeah, I know, but I have a lot of time and effort invested in the current computer, and will not abandon it until forced to for some reason).

Basil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hm, this should have been fixed, it may be a bit more complex than i thought
Rich

Post by Rich »

I just ran the setup.exe, selecting the "compact" mode with USB option. I am now about to start through the setup routine on first start, but I should note that I got a "Program Compatibility Assistant" popup at the end of the setup.exe process warning that "This program may not have installed correctly." I see that occasionally, and have always ignored it with impunity. But it might alarm some. Any idea of why that popup occurred?
Costas,

I also installed in compact mode with USB option, on Win 7 64 bit. I also got the same message: "This program may not have installed correctly." I get this message quite often when installing programs, so I am not sure there is a problem.

One thing I noticed; when I pressed the "s" to turn on Strongs numbers in KJV nothing happened. I pressed Ctrl+S and got nothing. I tired Shift+S and got Strongs numbers, Shift+S again turned it off. After that Strongs numbers worked fine just using "S". I tried my laptop (Win 7 32 bit) and got the same results. Strange that after Shift+S the "S" works as it should.

Version 4 is very impressive!

Rich
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Rich wrote: One thing I noticed; when I pressed the "s" to turn on Strongs numbers in KJV nothing happened. I pressed Ctrl+S and got nothing. I tired Shift+S and got Strongs numbers, Shift+S again turned it off. After that Strongs numbers worked fine just using "S". I tried my laptop (Win 7 32 bit) and got the same results. Strange that after Shift+S the "S" works as it should.
Correct. I decided that by default, strong numbers should not be visible, but 'hidden behind' the words. They work as if they were visible, but remove the clutter. SHIFT+S turns on/off this 'hide-behind-the-word' feature. I think that for a newcomer, this simplifies reading/viewing.
Costas
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

Costas, I think there must be something wrong with the installer. I downloaded it twice and downloads OK but the setup (46.9 MB) doesn't want to run, and the operating system doesn't give a message box in return telling me what's going on. I can see that it demands Administrator Privileges, which I concede but to no avail (Win7 Starter, Service Pack 1).
Leoram
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

Leoram wrote:Costas, I think there must be something wrong with the installer. I downloaded it twice and downloads OK but the setup (46.9 MB) doesn't want to run, and the operating system doesn't give a message box in return telling me what's going on. I can see that it demands Administrator Privileges, which I concede but to no avail (Win7 Starter, Service Pack 1).
Costas, I have re-run the setup, but this time after restarting Windows. It works OK so far, so I think in the two previous attempts there must have been something wrong on my side, and what matter of cause is not possible for me to determine now. However I have only tried compact mode. I also got the message: "This program may not have installed correctly." that other users have reported.
Leoram
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

The message 'this program might not have installed correctly' only appears in a compact/ufd install.
I will try to work it out, thank you
Costas
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I changed something in the installer and you should not get this message again.
If you want to retry:
1. Re-download the setup file from the same link
2. Delete the registry entry HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted\<path to theword-setup-en.exe>
3. Rerun the setup in compact+UFD mode

Thank you for testing!
Costas
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

Costas, installation of tW works flawlessly now with the new setup file, at least in compact mode. I don't have the plan to run a full install for the moment. One thing I notice is that, no matter the language I choose in File | Language, some parts of the UI remains in the operating system language (which, in my case is German language), but I prefer the UI of all my Apps in English. In this case I do have everything in English, except the module names as seen on their tabs "My Topic Notes" and "My Verse Notes" which come with the installer package, and which remain in German "Eigene Themennotizen" and "Eigene Versnotizen". :)
Leoram
blcjr

Post by blcjr »

csterg wrote:I changed something in the installer and you should not get this message again.
If you want to retry:
2. Delete the registry entry HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted\<path to theword-setup-en.exe>

Thank you for testing!
Costas
I could not locate that registry entry on my system. But I reinstalled "compact+UFD" with the new package, and did not encounter the error this time.

Basil
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

blcjr wrote:
csterg wrote:I changed something in the installer and you should not get this message again.
If you want to retry:

Thank you for testing!
Costas
I could not locate that registry entry on my system. But I reinstalled "compact+UFD" with the new package, and did not encounter the error this time.

Basil
I think if you only close the message box with the close icon [x] and don't make a decision at the bottom of such a box, then there's nothing written in the registry.
Leoram
Rich

Post by Rich »

I changed something in the installer and you should not get this message again.
If you want to retry:

Thank you for testing!
Costas
Costas,

I downloaded the new setup file and installed as you instructed. Did not get the message this time!

Rich
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Great, i think it is fixed. Will keep an eye
Costas