NA28 Critical Apparatus

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
jonathangkoehn

NA28 Critical Apparatus

Post by jonathangkoehn »

It is good to see the release of the NA28.
A couple questions is the USB5 in the works?
Also will the critical apparatus be available as well? For both the NA28 and USB5?
I know it may be harder to get permission to use
Thanks
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
csterg
Site Admin

Re: NA28 Critical Apparatus

Post by csterg »

The critical apparatus is not available, unfortunately, it is exclusively licensed to few publishers.
UBS5: not yet, i can put it in the queue though
Cosas
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Thanks Costas, I know there is not a great deal of difference between UBS5 and NA28 but may be nice for some.
So sad that they hold onto the critical apparatus so tightly but such is life. Thanks for all you do in making these resources available to us.
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

The UBS5 is on it's way. I estimate about 1 month from now
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Just out of curiosity what is the difference between NA27 and NA28? I read the descriptions but I do not see the diffeences. Thanks!
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I was curious as well and found that there is around 34 changes to the text. Also from what I understand the critical apparatus has been updated in the catholic letters (I believe referring to the church letters) The apparatus is suppose to be more user friendly but looses some information apparently.

So mainly in the theWORD version I believe the 34 changes? Is that correct and someone said it is mainly changing from bracketed to non-bracketed and vice versa type of changes.
JG

Post by JG »

jonathangkoehn wrote:Thanks Costas, I know there is not a great deal of difference between UBS5 and NA28 but may be nice for some.
So sad that they hold onto the critical apparatus so tightly but such is life. Thanks for all you do in making these resources available to us.
Thinking about this, I would say that the critical* apparatus is critical** to have.. how can it be of much use without it?

*(of a text) incorporating a detailed and scholarly analysis and commentary.

**having a decisive or crucial importance in the success, failure, or existence of something.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Jon and Jonathan,
Thanks to both of you. Guess I am going to have to learn more Greek to really appreciate this! By the Jonathan, did you get my email concerning the Linux version of Accuracy? I have not heard anything from you.

Darrel
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Okay, another question. What is the difference between the TRi+ and NA27 or NA28? They both appear (to my eyes, which do lack at times!) to contain the same things in Greek.

Darrel
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Jon - I would sure like to see the critical apparatus as well. I do love how you can do scholarly research using theWORD tools inconjunction with NA27 such as morphology, lemma etc.

Darrell - I did get your email. So sorry I haven't got back it has been busy and haven't done any programming lately.
As far as TR, NA27 or Na28 differences there are some but not major doctrinal differences. TR the Textus Receptus comes from the Majority Persuasion of thinking that is. The more ancient documents the more proof for the text. Where as Na27 would be closer to the translation philosophy of the more ancient a document the more accurate. It is more complicated than this but this is it somewhat boiled down. There are a lot of resources out there. KJV, NKJV would be closer to the TR where as NASB, NIV, ESV closer to Na27 however most Bibles sort through the ancient documents and make there critical examinations etc. I believe there is a Youtube video out by Bill Mounce that talks about some of the procedure they went through for the ESV.

But someone else please feel free to add.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hello Jonathan,
Thanks for your response, both on the Accuracy update and particularly on the TRi vs. NA27/28. I plan on picking up the NA28 soon, but it is really cool having a little better understanding on the comparison! So if one has the NA28 does that mean the NA27 can be retired?

Darrel
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings Darrel,
From my little research the main difference is the critical apparatus between the two. So you will see from my understanding only around 34 greek changes between the Na27 and Na28 in theWORD. I found in my research that the Na28 is more closely tied to the Byzantine documents.

In regards to the Critical apparatus side some indicated that the Na27 gave more information but the Na28 critical apparatus was easier to understand however this would not affect at present theWORD. Unless at some date the publishers would give permission to theWORD to publish the critical apparatus.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

DarrelW wrote:Okay, another question. What is the difference between the TRi+ and NA27 or NA28? They both appear (to my eyes, which do lack at times!) to contain the same things in Greek.

Darrel
You can check the differences yourself. The official GRV module shows the differences among main Greek texts. Use it in tandem with an interlinear module (e.g.: ABP, TRi) to understand the variants. To give you some head start, TRi is represented by the letter τ in GRV and NA by α. You also can find various websites listing the main differences among different Greek texts, here's one example: http://www.dtl.org/alt/variants/important.htm.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Has there been any movement on UBS 5 or am I missing it someplace?