[www.theword.net]

Twitter live feed  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 A faster way to create a topic tree from a separate list 

Post A faster way to create a topic tree from a separate list
I have a list of 500 sermon topics as a simple TXT list. I would like to create a general book module in which I can organize new sermons by topics, using this list of topics as my topic tree. However, rather than transfer each topic to the topic tree, one by one, I thought that it would be wonderful if I could just drag the list over to the topic tree somehow, so that topics would automatically be generated. When I tried and saw that it did not work, I realized that I was confusing the future version of TheWord version 10.5 with TheWord version 5.0. (joke)

Meanwhile, is there a slightly-faster way--perhaps even by using a third-party program--by which I can quickly make a book-module topic-tree with these pre-defined topics, or must I do it manually, 500 times?

By the way, at the risk of sounding presumptuous, I am not asking for someone to convert it for me online, but just to tell me how to do it.

I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.

Last edited by ErikJon on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:02 pm

Post Re: A faster way to create a topic tree with existing topics
Hi,
so you have a dictionary that is a flat list? and you want to view it as a tree? If that is what you want there is a setting in the Book view just above the topic list ... Options -> tree behavior. Does that meet your needs.
If you copy these nodes to a book module they will stay as nodes A B C etc

OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:18 pm

Post Re: A faster way to create a topic tree with existing topics
Hi, Jon.

As usual, I did not explain myself well at all.

What I mean is that I have nothing but a plain-text list of 500 key words which serve as sermon categories (i.e., "love," "fellowship," "apologetics," etc.), and I would like to use that long list to make a skeleton for a module in which I could then insert entire sermons, each by subject matter. The 500 keywords would ideally turn into 500 nodes in the topic tree, and upon clicking on each, I would see nothing on the right-hand pane. As I obtained material for each topic, I would click on the topic, create a sub-node, and then paste text on the right-hand pane that corresponded to that sub-node. In this way I would not have to create 500 topics manually.

I tried TW Import tool, and converted my TXT file int RTF first, of course, but nothing happened. I did not find an appropriate option for doing what I wanted to do.

Ideas?

I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:26 pm

Post Re: A faster way to create a topic tree with a text list
I see.
I would use ToolTipTool NT from biblesupport.com
Make an e-Sword topic file and convert it using twimport tool

OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:01 pm

Great idea. I have the program but have never tried to use it. Thanks, Jon!!

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:13 pm

I finally got it to work.

If anyone is interested, these are the steps I took to make it work:

1. I pasted the entire list into E-Sword ToolTip Tool NT
2. I was told that every "topic" would have to begin with a marker called a "mark."
3. Rather than paste 500 "marks," I pasted one, and copied the marker into memory.
4. I opened a word processor (Jarte) and pasted the symbol used to represent these "marks." (It turned out to be the division symbol)
5. Using the word processor, I did a search-and-replace operation, defined as "wherever there is a carriage return, replace it with a carriage return and the division symbol". All 500 lines now appeared with the symbol in front.
6. I alphabetized the list using OpenOffice: "tools"--> "sort".
7. I removed the many duplicate line entries using the freeware program called "duplicate_lines_remover.exe" (posted at Softpedia). I ended up with 441 unique sermon-subject topics.
8. I copied those 4441 items back to E-Sword ToolTip Tool NT (replacing the old list.)
9. I exported the document using the unintuitive method of: MODULES menu: TOPICS -> SAVE TOPX FILE. (I had to read part of the manual to figure that one out).
10. I opened the TW Importer Tool.
11. From the "Esword" tab I selected the new file from my desktop.
12. I converted it into a TW module.
13. I installed it into TW and re-started the program.

All that in just 13 unlucky steps!

Now I have my empty book module with 441 topics in the tree, into which I can add sermon material by subject, little by little, as I come across it in my studies. I can also create new sub-nodes for each main topic.

Once I get it polished, I may post it, to share with others on the forum, if it turns out to be useful.

Thanks, Jon.

Thanks, Brent Hildebrand, creator of E-Sword ToolTip Tool NT.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]