Linking information between applications

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
Leoram

Linking information between applications

Post by Leoram »

Greetings and blessings.

I use a program to manage information (texts, images and binary documents of all kinds) it facilitates capture, categorization, and extremely fast searches (a PIM). I drop in it all the info for my Bible research. The program tags every piece of information dropped into it for references. Recently the developers of the program made available the protocol for other outside applications to reference the information saved in the PIM. It is something like ur://C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/LRamirez/My%20documents/URdatabasesBK/Applications.urd?item=1962,1960,1000. The idea is to access the document in the PIM by clicking on this reference the same way as we do when we click on an html link. Is it possible for TheWord to support this kind of protocol? There are at least two other Bible programs that does this, but one of them is too expensive and the other is freeware but I have determinedly considered replacing it by TW. Please advise. Thanks.
Last edited by Leoram on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leoram
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Leoram,
actually this is also planned.
TW will install the global protocol handler for 'tw'.
So, you will be able to say:
tw://bible.kjv?1.2.3
or
tw://cmt.mynotes?SUBJECT

Actually, all links that are currently used in TW are already in that form and designed to be directly accessible from other applications also. I also plan to be able to create bookmarks in non-Bible modules so you can reference a specific point in any document or subject.

Is this what you have in mind?
Costas
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

Thank you for taking some time off to respond Costas.

In fact, your plans seem to be better than I thought in regard to referencing TW internally and accessing a specific information that resides in it from other applications. Do you also have plans to broaden this a little and set up the protocols needed to access information outside TW that is in other application or the WEB?

I would like to place a link, say: http://preceptaustin.org/new_page_58.htm#5:2 in any Study view of TW and click on it to access the specific page on the WEB. Also, it would be interesting and greatly valuable if likewise the user could reference information in another application from inside TW clicking on something like this: ur://C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/LRamirez/My%20documents/URdatabasesBK/Applications.urd?item=1962,1960,1000. Thanks for your kind inclination to help us.
Leoram
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Dear Leoram,
thanks for the suggestion. Yes, you will be able to access documents in the web or in your PC like you describe. I know it is useful and it is something that 'must' be implemented!

Costas