File paths question & portability

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
jbarr

File paths question & portability

Post by jbarr »

I'm a new The Word user, having toyed around with e-Sword for a while. One feature about The Word that I find most important is that I can install the application, and then copy the folder to aany USB Thumb Drive, and it will run from there without issue. THis lets me use it wherever I am. But with v3 beta, I notice that files are now also kept in two places other than The Word's "root" folder: "Cache" and "Personal Data" (these additional folders are accessible with shortcuts in the root app directory.)

So, could The Word be re-configured, or at least have a Preferences option available to let the user choose to have the app write these files wither to The Word's root folder, or to a sub-folder instead of all 3 places? This would make portability complete.

-Jim
Jim's Tips
Last edited by jbarr on Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Jim,
you are absolutely correct. TW3 does use these 2 folders which are NOT the same as the installation folder. The 'Cache' folder can be simply ignored, but the 'Personal Data' folder stores exactly what it says :) (so it cannot be ignored)
At this moment, the Peronal Data folder stores data for user cross references, Bible use formatting (colors, etc) and verse lists.
TIP: you can just copy the files from the 'Personal Data' folder in the USB folder (where theword.exe resides) and the program will continue using these files from there (without re-creating them in the Personal Data folder). So, it can still be made portable as is, but it does leave some traces in the 'Cache' folder -not many actually-...

My short answer to your question is yes. At this moment i am also considering some issue with Vista UAC (security issues) and will shortly decide on the best solution to handle all these matters (unfortunately, Vista will not allow a program with non-admin priviledges to save in the same folder). At the very least, i will make sure that the installer has an option to make a 'portable' installation of the program. Actually, the program itself only uses one file to run (theword.exe) and has no dependencies on system files, this is what makes it really portable; the paths are something that can be handled easily...

Costas
jbarr

Post by jbarr »

Woo hoo!!!

That's exactly what I was looking for! I can certainly live with the cache stuff.

I'm VERY impressed with this application. I've dealt with lots of betas, and this one ranks on the upper end of the stability spectrum. At first, I was disappointed by the missing Layouts feature, but after moving things around, adding things, and hiding things, I tailored the layout to my liking, and it works very well.

Major kuddos for this one!

-Jim
Jim's Tips