[www.theword.net]

Twitter live feed  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Help understanding the codes in Westminster Hebrew module 

Post Help understanding the codes in Westminster Hebrew module
Does anyone know where I can find more information about the codes in the Groves-Wheeler Westminster Hebrew morphology text? The pop up window provides some information that I have no idea what it means. For example, some words pop up with things like:
    Hebrew origin
    apocopated
    homonym
    suffix
    etc.

I know what these things are.....but I don't always get how they apply to the word in question. For example, I know what a homonym is.....but what does it have to do with a Hebrew word? It makes no sense to me.
I am wondering if there is some kind of help manual with the Groves-Wheeler Westminster Hebrew morphology text that explains what these things mean and how they apply to a given word. Does anyone know of anything?
Today, I saw a word marked apocopated which means that a letter falls off the back of the word. But this made no sense as applied to the word I was looking at.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Help understanding the codes in Westminster Hebrew module
First of all, there is a guide in the accompanying dictionary that explains many things. have you ready it?

Concerning homonyms:
actually these refer to the lemma's used and how they are mapped to the HALOT hebrew dictionary.
The authors of the WHM have chosen the HALOT as their standard hebrew dictionary to map the word lemma's to. The HALOT at some times has a single entry and different homonyms: the homonym thus refers to this.
Costas

P.S. these are explained in the guide

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]