Personal data

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
core

Personal data

Post by core »

by gennesse (topic transfer)
Dear Costas,

1: The Personal data is placed on C:\Documents and Settings\Richard\Application Data\The Word\Personal Data but I am working also from a portable harddisk (l:...) So, what I have changed in my subject notes will be saved on the computer and not on the portable harddisk so I can not take my notes with me..... I tried to make it a standard "Personal Data" Map in stead of a shortcut to the map on C but it did not work.

Is there a way to use it portable?

2: I have managed to make links in my own modules with your help. Is there also an easy way to make links to bookmarks within the topic itself and from and to a topic bookmark in another topic without using sqlite editor?

Thanks again!
core

Post by core »

by Costas

1: The Personal data is placed on C:\Documents and Settings\Richard\Application Data\The Word\Personal Data but I am working also from a portable harddisk (l:...) So, what I have changed in my subject notes will be saved on the computer and not on the portable harddisk so I can not take my notes with me..... I tried to make it a standard "Personal Data" Map in stead of a shortcut to the map on C but it did not work.

Dear Richard,
i think i owe a big apology to you for all these delays (you know ). I hope you can excuse me now that you can have a much better version!
OK, things are much simpler: just copy the files you want (the *.twm) on the portable disk (assuming that the 'theword.exe' file is also there). At this moment, the program tries to find modules in a number of places (i will document this), one of which is the 'Personal Data' folder (actually the full path there). I will add an option for the user to add custom paths so it will be possible to have your files anywhere. But for now, if you also have the program on the portable disk, all is well: just put the .twm files in the same folder.

2: I have managed to make links in my own modules with your help. Is there also an easy way to make links to bookmarks within the topic itself and from and to a topic bookmark in another topic without using sqlite editor?
The only thing missing at this moment (i knew that beforehand) is the ability to place a bookmark within in a topic (not a link to a topic's bookmark(s)). All other things are doable without messing with the sqlite (actually, the format of the user modules is not rtf and i am afraid you cannot edit it by hand).

So, let me make it clear:
1. You can make links from one topic to another without using the sqlite editor.
2. You cannot make links from one topic to a specific bookmark in the same or another topic (what is missing is the ability to specify the bookmark position within the topic, not the ability to link to it).

What are you referring to? 1 or 2?

I plan to make it much easier to place links from one place to another by just using the mouse.
Costas
core

Post by core »

by gennesse

8) I Understand.

This new version is worth it! My compliments! I am eager to learn to get the most out of it....

1: are you saying I have to delete the shortcut and cut the files on C directly into the program without folder? Why does it make a shortcut to C anyway?

2: 1: I know, you learned me how simple it is!
2: 2: OK, but I like the mouse idea

Godd bless you and your work!
core

Post by core »

by Costas
1: are you saying I have to delete the shortcut and cut the files on C directly into the program without folder? Why does it make a shortcut to C anyway?

The 'Personal Folder' shortcut is just this ... a shortctu to take you directly to the folder (i may remove it, it seems to complicate things for the end user).
My answer: Yes, move the folders where the 'theword.exe' file is. That's all.

2: 1: I know, you learned me how simple it is!

Are you sure we talk about the same thing? In ver. 640 you can enter the link directly from within the program, no need to go to the sqlite db. In the book view:
1. Select some text
2. Right click on it and select 'Hypelink...'
3. In the target, enter the link target (e.g. tw://cmt.[title]?t=[topic])

2: 2: OK, but I like the mouse idea
Me too: it makes it much easier!
Will do,
Costas
core

Post by core »

by gennesse

When I remove the shortcut it makes a new shortcut so I see 2 subject notes. :lol:
When I remove the folders on C I get an error message. :cry:
I have Installed it agan and work ok again. :)

I wil hear from you later !

sleep well!
core

Post by core »

by Costas
When I remove the shortcut it makes a new shortcut so I see 2 subject notes.
OK, forget the shortcut ... it's just a shortcut. Even if it is there or not it makes no difference. What is necessary is the actualy file.

When I remove the folders on C I get an error message.
Which folders do you remove ??? You shouldn't do that! You are deleting files.

I have Installed it agan and work ok again.
- You need to locate the file with your subject notes (right click on the module, select properties and from the second tab check the 'File' property to make sure which file you need to move)
- Then move this file in the same folder where the program is installed (check that the theword.exe file is there.
- You can install the program on your movable disk to do what you want. That's all (and copy the file there)

Is this more clear?

Costas
core

Post by core »

by gennesse

It is clear to me.

When I copy it to the harddisk the program sees it, so that is ok. But via the shortcutfolder it is going to the application data folder on C so it will show 2 subject notes: 1 on C and 1 on drive L (my portable harddisk) It is ok I can live with that but that is the reason why I wanted to delete the files on C because I do not need them there.

The exe file and all other files always have been on my portable harddisk. Whatever caused the error is not clear to me but it is not important for me. But it only made me wonder why it is there.

kind regards,
Richard