Using NEARw in morphological searches

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
Alf

Using NEARw in morphological searches

Post by Alf »

Dear all,

I'm using The Word under Ubuntu 20.04 with wine 5.0 very successfully. However, I'm having troubles trying to use the operator NEARw in morphological searches. For example, I make the search
m/V-??P-G* NEARw m/P-G* (where the default separation for NEARw is 1) in the book of MarK (SBLGNT) and the program does nothing at all. Does it work on Windows? Is is a bug ? Am I doing something wrong ?

BR's

Alfonso

PS: The "Is this what you are looking for?" box shows:
Search SBLGNT [Just current book] for:
morph:V-??P-G* NEARw1 morph:P-G*
JG

Re: Using NEARw in morphological searches

Post by JG »

Just in the process of getting a correct answer on this.

My thoughts are that it was not designed to work on morphology and only on the base text words.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
JG

Post by JG »

Strange. I have a lockup when trying to search your example. But if I change it to Nearv so verses it works but the markup is not working in the Bible view, it only shows in the popup of the search results.
There must be something broken with Nearw and morphology if it works with Nearv.....
Have to wait for Costas to look at it.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Alf

Post by Alf »

Thank you very much. If NEARw could work with morphology then TW would be capable of very complex grammatical searches making it very competitive in the advanced biblical studies league (seminar level, etc..)

BR's

Alfonso
JG

Post by JG »

Such searches are not supported in the code.
It was just meant to support the base text words.
No idea if the feature will be expanded.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Alf

Post by Alf »

Thank you for your quick answer. It would be great to have this feature in a future version of TW. As I said it would put TW between the best software for making advanced studies in the original languages.
Of course TW is already great, but this only feature would make it even better, really incredible indeed.

BR's

Alfonso