TR command

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
DarrelW

TR command

Post by DarrelW »

LOGOS has a function called "INTERSECT" that allows you to return search results where the left and right expressions intersect.

I am seeing if I can use the TR function to do what the INTERSECT function does. The syntax of the TR function says "expression 1 TR expression 2". I am a little confused. It says expression 1 should be a Strongs number, but that it can be any valid expression. So I can use "H2470 TR (ill*|disease|sickness)" and it returns 19 verses from the BSBRevINT.

I can do a lemma search using "m/חָלָה@*" which returns 84 verses, so it seems like I should be to do a "(m/חָלָה@*) TR (ill*|disease|sickness)" and have the search done using the lemma rather than the strong's number, but it doesn't return any results. Am I misunderstanding something?

Darrel
JG

Re: TR command

Post by JG »

The hint on this search in theWord seems to indicate it only works with Strong's numbers.
0002 Jon theWord_2021-01-12_091043.jpg
0002 Jon theWord_2021-01-12_091043.jpg (131.76 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hi Jon,
That is what I was thinking. It's just that the manual was, to me, implying that both expression 1 and 2 could also be any valid expression. I am trying to implement a query finding all the places in scripture where God struck someone down with a sickness. To do this I am attempting to rework a solution in LOGOS that uses the INTERSECT function. Thanks Jon.

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

I am only guessing at this point what was intended by the manual

TR - used to perform searches on Strong's Numbers and their translations. To the left of the operator should be a Strong's Number (H2345, G354) or any other valid expression, and to the right should be an expression to search to see if the given Strong's Number is translated as such. "TR" means "translated" and this is how this operator functions. It can also be combined with other operators to perform different functions. See examples. The greater-than sign (>) can also be used instead of this operator.

Perhaps it was meaning multiple Strong's or as the example using some other operator like NOT
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Yeah, that is true. These commands, even if not doing what I "think" they should do, are very powerful. And as I have found so many times, it usually requires modifying and/or changing my concept of how to do something. I think the TR function will give what I want, but I just need to rewire my thinking on how to put this query together. Thanks!

Darrel