Version #

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
therapon

Version #

Post by therapon »

Did the version # fall off the Help/About screen on purpose?

I see it still on the splash screen but it is inconvenient to have to restart the program just to verify the current version.
Rich

Re: Version #

Post by Rich »

therapon wrote:Did the version # fall off the Help/About screen on purpose?

I see it still on the splash screen but it is inconvenient to have to restart the program just to verify the current version.
It should be located at: Help/About - Lower right corner just above the OK button.
therapon

Post by therapon »

Yup, that's where it used to be. It disappeared from there v6.0.0.1514 or before.
JG

Post by JG »

One other report of this and I don't know what the common thing is. For me the build shows in the About. right up to latest beta 1517
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
therapon

Post by therapon »

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, WINE 6.0, TW 6.0.0.1517
Screenshot_20210210_144055.jpg
Screenshot_20210210_144055.jpg (174.17 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
JG

Post by JG »

Well that is a Wine problem.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
therapon

Post by therapon »

How so? It didn't used to be a problem, it just stopped showing up recently.
This is when it disappeared:
- update copyright to display 2021
- several fixes for improving high-dpi monitors, specifically: book search view, bible search view, about dialog
- removed donate item from About menu
Screenshot_20210210_144957.jpg
Screenshot_20210210_144957.jpg (132.72 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
Last edited by therapon on Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JG

Post by JG »

Well Wine is not supported officially so if something changed in theWord and it fails to work in an unofficial OS then it is not really our issue is it?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I'm on MX Linux, Wine 6.1, theWord 6.0.0.1517, and the version number shows as expected.

I can't 100% verify that the version number has shown as expected on every version of Wine I've used, but I've never noted a problem.

This is a thread where rdwray has a problem with the version number showing viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9426&hilit=version+ ... f238bd3eb3

It appears he was using a Windows version.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
JG

Post by JG »

Thanks for that reminder. However Costas has told me he has not changed any code in that area.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
JG

Post by JG »

To be honest I don't see what the big deal is with knowing the build number if you are not testing beta
If you are really testing beta, then don't change the filename and it will show in your window at the top.
This is how we designed beta to be used so the build being tested can easily be seen.
0001 Jon theWord_2021-02-10_201120.jpg
0001 Jon theWord_2021-02-10_201120.jpg (43.02 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
therapon

Post by therapon »

I'm not "testing" the beta versions, I'm using the latest. And so I don't have to keep changing the filename in a shortcut or script file, I rename the beta to simply "theword.exe". As for whether it's a big deal or not, it probably isn't when one considers climate change and world hunger and the value of bitcoins ;-) I just like to be able to verify which version I'm running without restarting the program when I look to see if a new "beta" has been released.

In version 1500, the version # displays with the About dialog at the default size. It stays at the right border of the window as the dialog is resized larger. There is apparently a minimum width below which it cannot be resized without making things disappear. The same is true for later versions except once the version info disappears because of the dpi setting, it never reappears regardless of window size.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I will take a look and try to see what changed. But i will need you help to verify.
The hard thing here is that I cannot test any changes.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hi Costas,
Well, actually you probably could by installing Linux in a VirtualBox, installing wine in that installation and you would be good-to-go. By the way, I have the same thing on in Linux Mint 20.1 with wine 6.1.

I appreciate your willingness to look into this. One of the things I have a problem with is when folks take the stand that "Linux is a non-supported OS and therefore things may not work." I have been using TW in a Linux environment for 9 years now and it has only been the last few things that are causing issues.

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

It is theWord stand that only Windows OS has official support, whether you like it or not.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software