Bugs in the Westminster Hebrew Morphology module

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
JG

Re: Bugs in the Westminster Hebrew Morphology module

Post by JG »

In the WHMC dictionary, check the version is 1.4. Notice the properties comments for the required build of theWord.
If this is not the case please download the package again from the Add Titles
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hi Jon,
Yes, it looks like it is the latest version. Where I got confused - I checked some of the "errors" found previously and it looked like the error was still there. I can be very easily mistaken thought!

Thanks Jon, I appreciate it.

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

Simon,
it should be possible to download it via the Add Titles in theWord..
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
JG

Post by JG »

Thank you for noticing this and reporting. It is something to do with a change made in theWord Bible view for build 1470.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

I haven't been testing the module in beta but is the wow consecutive counted as 2 words?
"And" "so and so"?
Does this only happen on wow consecutives?
Just asking since I don't know one way or the other.
Teksun

Post by Teksun »

@RevSteve
I haven't been testing the module in beta but is the wow consecutive counted as 2 words?
"And" "so and so"?
Does this only happen on wow consecutives?
Just asking since I don't know one way or the other.
I am going to answer this as a question about the waw consecutive and not about the beta errors for the module as it appears that is what the question is about. While Costas would prefer issues of translation out of the forums, this answer should suffice.

The waw consecutive serves several purposes, one of which "flips" the translation of a perfect or imperfect verb-> imperfect verb and waw = and he will save; imperfect verb and waw consecutive = and he saved.

It also unites two, or more, statements in the text, in this case, it is usually/many times translated "then," such as in Gen. 1:3. It unites what was just said in v2 with what is about to be said in v3 as a continuous event with no gaps in time.

It is interesting to study the waw consecutives in the creation account. Based on the grammar of Hebrew, they are evidence for six literal days of creation.

Sorry Costas...
Ezra 7:10
לִדְרֹ֛ושׁ To Study/Follow
וְלַעֲשֹׂ֑ת and to do
וּלְלַמֵּ֥ד and to teach
Tyndale Theological Seminary & Biblical Institute
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Teksun wrote: I am going to answer this as a question about the waw consecutive and not about the beta errors for the module as it appears that is what the question is about. While Costas would prefer issues of translation out of the forums, this answer should suffice.
That's fine, no worries. This is a translation/explanation issue, not a dogmatic one.
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

As you have noticed, it is still broken. You will find that it is usually a word that is at the end of a row, or at the wrap end of a row. If you change the width of the window you will find that the lemma will appear for the word that failed. It is a strange anomaly. We will just have to put up with it at the moment. I have no idea of any time scale for a fix.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Teksun

Post by Teksun »

If you look at Jonah 1:2 - the word עָלֶיהָ from which is translated "against it" actually pulls up the wrong word in M-Strong and NASEC. When hovering it says the word is H5920 but it is H5922. When clicked MStrong pulls H5944 and NASEC pulls H5933. The parsing is correct, it is a preposition with a 3rd person singular pronominal suffix.
וְלַעֲשֹׂ֑ת and to do
וּלְלַמֵּ֥ד and to teach
JG

Post by JG »

I don't know about these languages so I am just saying what I see is an issue.
This lemma is a Homonym and theWord does not know which one to choose (I guess the reader should use discernment).
However H5922 is an Aramaic origin, but this is Hebrew as the morph info shows a @
Am I correct in this?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Teksun

Post by Teksun »

JG wrote: However H5922 is an Aramaic origin, but this is Hebrew as the morph info shows a @
Am I correct in this?
You are correct, it is Aramaic in origin, but the morphology is showing Hebrew origin.
וְלַעֲשֹׂ֑ת and to do
וּלְלַמֵּ֥ד and to teach
JG

Post by JG »

As I see there isn't any Aramaic in the Book of Jonah, so all words would have a Hebrew morphology.
To search for places where there is Aramaic of the word in question search m/עַל%*
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

WHM does not have Strongs built in so it probably works off of either Lemma or the Word visible depending on settings when trying to look up a Strongs word in NASEC or another Strongs based dictionary in this case it would probably find the first closet word in the strongs dictionary that may be linked to a strongs number.

In this case of Jonah 1:2 it brings up the incorrect strongs word. Perhaps due to Homonym or because of other similar words. If one is clicking on this word make sure Lemma is the last available option in the "Word click/lookup options" menu for the Bible view.

You may also want to verify that Lemma is turned on in the Word click options. Also make sure that "Perform the lookup on all checked items (don't stop at the first one)" is checked.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2