Help, theWord won't start. Logo opens and then disappears

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
Leoram

Help, theWord won't start. Logo opens and then disappears

Post by Leoram »

Hello Costas. Please help me out with the theWord not able to open. After a minute or so the logo disappears with no hint as to what is going on.

I noticed this failure yesterday after using the application successfully for a long time without problems. Then have been trying to look for the cause myself with no success; deleted all the idx and idx3 index files in cache and tried with a couple of the latest betas. One thing new on my system is the Windows 10 build 1803 update and an update of the Intel graphic driver. All other things are running like a charm.

Using theWord in portable mode on one of my disk partitions. The error report generated has been sent to the bug report mail.

Hope you can find the time to trace this and help.

Regards.

In Jesus the Lord,
Leoram
JG

Re: Help, theWord won't start. Logo opens and then disappear

Post by JG »

Running fine for me on Windows build 1803.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

Sure JG. The reported case may be possibly not applicable to all users and all settings or configuration.

Costas has started a hunt for the possibly bug or conflict only minutes after I reported it through this forum and he is currently analyzing the config and error log I sent to him. Let's see.
Leoram
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

Well, after some time interchanging thoughts and ideas with Costas, I've arrived at the conclusion that something must have corrupted my pretty old (+10 years) config.ini file, so I decided to delete it after copying and pasting only my compare Bible and module sets arrangements to a new, automatically created config file. Everything works smoothly and without errors. Thanks God.
Leoram
spaintrek

Post by spaintrek »

I must say that this is the second time that this same situation happens to me. I even tried reinstalling the program and it didn't fix the problem. But if I go back to a previous version of the config.ini file (I have the program "pointed" to my folder "TheWord" in Dropbox which has a version history to choose from), it goes back to working great.

Thanks Costas again for a very very useful program.
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

I have to delete my config.ini 2 days in a row now. Can anyone here share his config.ini (compact mode) so I don't have to do mine all over again? Haha. I've attached my error log in case someone can check what's causing this chronic problem. Thanks
Attachments
errors.zip
(6.03 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
Edmund
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

malayangbiblia wrote:I have to delete my config.ini 2 days in a row now. Can anyone here share his config.ini (compact mode) so I don't have to do mine all over again? Haha. I've attached my error log in case someone can check what's causing this chronic problem. Thanks
If you have the custom title bar enabled, disable it. (menu View->Skin->[no skin])
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

csterg wrote:
malayangbiblia wrote:I have to delete my config.ini 2 days in a row now. Can anyone here share his config.ini (compact mode) so I don't have to do mine all over again? Haha. I've attached my error log in case someone can check what's causing this chronic problem. Thanks
If you have the custom title bar enabled, disable it. (menu View->Skin->[no skin])
Thanks, I will try not to use any skin and see what happens long term. Anyway can I restore my settings by deleting some stuff from my broken config.ini? I attached my latest config and error log.
Attachments
TW config.zip
(26.19 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
Edmund
JG

Post by JG »

I used this config.ini and theWord started up without any issues.
Maybe it is a faulty module. Or something to do with where your modules are located?
Also think if this issue started just recently, what modules you have installed.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

as Jon said, it might also be a broken module.
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

It happened again. I used to fix it by deleting newly created modules but it's not the case recently. I have a hunch that the compare view might be the ones causing the problem. It seems that everything works fine after deleting the config file but just after I tried to setup my compare view that the problem reoccurs sooner or later.

In terms of module arrangements, all modules are in the default folders. Also, TheWord folder is automatically backed up under my Onedrive. I will try not to backup directly and see if that will work. Now the old config I uploaded here is working but this time TW is outside my Onedrive folder. I will report if there is still problems.
Edmund
JG

Post by JG »

Try some tests with a compact installation to your desktop and copy all your modules there and see if you have any issue when setting up compare view.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

I updated my compare view set and the problem started again.
Edmund
malayangbiblia

Post by malayangbiblia »

I think setting up the compare view for the first time won't create the problem only after user updates the modules in them. Try updating the compare sets using my config like adding more modules or moving the sequence and see what happens when you relaunch it.
Edmund
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

I don't know for sure if this pertains to your problem but 2 things to be aware of especially since like you, I am actively working on modules while TheWord is running.

Whenever you do any copying, even with the TheWord minimized, it is watching the clipboard.
I have had TheWord to crash at times while doing this.

If you have the verse referencing compare mode active, at least in my experience, a bible module will not update properly until I close TheWord and then reopen.

It is my guess that the between running the standard compare mode and a combination of the above is causing your problem and maybe something else in the mix.