Search window font

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
rdwray

Search window font

Post by rdwray »

Just discovered why some searches work and other don't, it is the text encoding. If I copy a word (Lamb's Revelation 21:9) it will be found, if I type it in, it will not be found. The problem is the apostrophe; apparently the encoding for Search View is not the same as the Bible View window. I copied "Lamb's" from the Search View and pasted it into a comment window and it came out to be Segoe UI font. I changed the Bible View font to Segoe UI and it did not matter, it still would not find the word, so it has to be the encoding because is I do the search for "Lamb" it is found.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
“For My yoke [is] easy and My burden is light.”
JG

Re: Search window font

Post by JG »

This is indeed a problem.
Some authors use one character for an apostrophe and others use another... and search fails if you have the other one.

So it is a case of "cave usor" fake Latin for user beware.

The two types I have encountered are these. First one is easy to cope with because it is on keyboard. Second one not so easy.

CHAR UNICODE NAME Unicode Escape

' APOSTROPHE \u0027
’ RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK \u2019
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

The encoding is the problem, why does one module load with one type and another module with a different type because I can search the KJV or NIV but not the NKJV? There has got to be a way to change the encoding.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

Just noticed that there is a "Virtual Keyboard" at the top under "Detailed and it changes encoding based on which Bible you are searching; the NKJV contains 2 apostrophes and quotation marks and it will find the word if you select the right ones - apparently this issue is known and not resolved.
JG

Post by JG »

The virtual keyboard contains all the characters in that specific module.
I have known some resources we are supplied that use both in the same module.
Being aware of the issue helps, but does not solve the problem.
Greek accents are even worse. Some use Oxia, and others Tonos, and some other encoding besides these.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

I just changed the encoding of WEB bible and here is what I got for one verse:

Acts 1:6 Therefore, when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, are you now restoring the kingdom to Israel?”
The character before "Lord" should be a quotation mark; the characters at the end should be a quotation mark and <CM>.

But this is what the text actually looks like in Notepad2:
Therefore, when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, are you now restoring the kingdom to Israel?”

The issue is something in TW is changing the encoding when it loads the module; possibly because some modules are encrypted.
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

My last word on the subject. I unchecked "Whole words only" and don't use the apostrophe and that gets rid of the problem.
JG

Post by JG »

Try using a different quotation mark
' APOSTROPHE
’ RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK

try
's
and compare with
’s

You should see that different Bibles use a different character.

Don't forget in boolean search you have the option to search for both (lord's or lord’s) ignore case...
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

You should see that different Bibles use a different character.
Are you saying that changing the font in Bible View options has no effect on text? I would agree considering the the font in the Bible Search is Segoi UI and if I change the font to the same in the Bible View, it still does not return the word. I tried using both keyboard characters and it still did not work, it is just simpler to leave off the 's and uncheck "Whole words only".

Still don't understand why the encoding is getting changed when the module is loaded, that is a bug in TW.
JG

Post by JG »

Can you send me the offending module. Or a private link and let me check it.
What Operating System are you on?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

I looked at PM (private link????) and there isn't any way to attach a file. The module is the NKJV.ontx (https://www.theword.net/index.php?purch ... &l=english) that I downloaded from TW.

EDIT: OS is Windows 10; 1903
JG

Post by JG »

Thanks

I just did a Boolean search with "ignore case and diacritics" on just that resource, for this

Code: Select all

lord’s

copy and paste my code so we use the same data
You don't get any results?

By the way the NKJV is a UTF-8 with bom file.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

That works (lord’s), but if I type it in, it does not work. My TW version is 1492 on Windows 10, 1903, x64.
JG

Post by JG »

As I said earlier, and I did not mean to shout, it was just large text. This resource and some others use the RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK.(yes it is a pain in the neck, the same as smart quotes) This is not on the keyboard as a simple key. You would need to use (Hold down left ALT) and press 0146(on the keypad) release. Or use the virtual keyboard for that resource in the search window.

' APOSTROPHE \u0027
’ RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK \u2019 ALT 0146

table of codes are here for an example https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/600 ... -list.html
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
rdwray

Post by rdwray »

I didn't take it as as shout. As I said before, not using 's and unchecking whole word is the simplest for me. Computers are making this world more complicated then when we had to use paper and pencil - I want to go back to the stone age. :?