Over 4 gb theword process

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
nikolay_l

Over 4 gb theword process

Post by nikolay_l »

Good afternoon.
I have a large library of modules - over 4000.
I usually use the old version of TheWord - 4.0.0.1361. It occupies 600 megabytes of memory with the full library.
Today I tried to install beta version of theword-5.0.0.1503. With a full library, it takes up a lot of memory space.
I can connect about 3000 modules to the beta version. With this amount, the process takes 3.8 gigabytes.
But if I go beyond the 3.9 gigabyte limit, then problems begin.
---------------- russian -------------------
Добрый день.
у меня большая библиотека модулей - более 4000.
Я обычно пользуюсь старой версией TheWord - 4.0.0.1361. Она занимает в памяти 600 мегабайт с полной библиотекой.
Сегодня я попробовал поставить бета версию theword-5.0.0.1503. С полной библиотекой она очень много места занимает в памяти.
Я могу подключить к бета версии около 3000 модулей. При таком количестве процесс занимает 3,8 гигабайта.
Но если я выйду за предел 3,9 гигабайта то начинаются проблемы.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Over 4 gb theword process

Post by csterg »

Hello Nikolay,
not sure where this is coming from.
Yet to be able to find anything i would need you to find the exact version that this problem started occuring. All intermediate betas are there to check, i know it will take time but its really needed to find why this happens,
Thanks
nikolay_l

Post by nikolay_l »

problem in the theword-4.0.0.1399
she erases module.cache.dat

- [fix]: when indexing books, if an error occurs, the dialog that displays the error will auto-close in 40 seconds if the user presses nothing. This allows the process to continue unattended
- [fix]: when a book view was floating, context menu actions for table, paragraph, bullets and borders did not work.
- [fix]: Bible user highlighting is now displayed in popups, depending on current Bible view's options
- [fix]: Define Module Sets dialog: when creating copies of modules or folders from within the custom set tree list (right one) by holding down the CTRL key, the new copies didn't have a proper new internal ID. So, when the new set was saved it could create problems if later one tried to edit it.
JG

Post by JG »

Can you please provide a link to the 4000+ modules so we can download and test.
We do not see any other way to find the issue.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I know this probably doesn't help, but I run almost 4,000 modules on version 1503 and have no issues.

Darrel
nikolay_l

Post by nikolay_l »

DarrelW wrote:I know this probably doesn't help, but I run almost 4,000 modules on version 1503 and have no issues.

Darrel
what is your theword process size in task manager?
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I run in Linux using wine 5.18. My overall memory usage with TW open and several apts is 2.5 Gb and it stays right in that range. CPU usage runs between 5 and 10% across 4 processors. Not sure if that answers your question, but my system is very stable and has been through all previous upgrades.
nikolay_l

Post by nikolay_l »

DarrelW wrote:I run in Linux using wine 5.18. My overall memory usage with TW open and several apts is 2.5 Gb and it stays right in that range. CPU usage runs between 5 and 10% across 4 processors. Not sure if that answers your question, but my system is very stable and has been through all previous upgrades.
I'm not sure if Linux is subject to Windows' memory subsystem limitations.
in any case, on Windows, a bug is clearly seen between two different versions of the program. Moreover, the amendments according to the changelog concerned indexing.
-------- russian ------------
я не уверен что на Linux распространяются ограничения от Windows связанные с подсистемой памяти.
в любом случае на Windows однозначно замечен баг между двумя разными версиями программы. Тем более что и поправки согласно changelog касались индексации.
JG

Post by JG »

You did not explain what the problem was.
Do you have a video to explain it please.

Also just for a test rename your config.ini to config.ini_ and run theWord. Now it will make a new config.ini
Do you still have the problem.
I have tested with 5000+ modules, total size 97GB and I don't have any problem with any build. However this was with a new config.ini
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
nikolay_l

Post by nikolay_l »

невероятно трудоемкий процесс восстановления каталога библиотеки с нуля. Используется очень сложная классификация контента для интуитивной навигации.
incredibly time-consuming process of restoring a library directory from scratch. A very sophisticated content classification is used for intuitive navigation.

мне кажется я отучил программу стирать файл module.cache.dat
I think I disaccustomed the program to erase the file module.cache.dat

Видео:
https://youtu.be/taT5z_8mwpU