TheWord and Linux

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
johannes

TheWord and Linux

Post by johannes »

Here is a short description how to run TheWord on a Linux system. I myself tested it under the Ubuntu distribution and it worked just fine!

What you need for this is the Windows emulator Wine (http://www.winehq.org) which is either pre-installed in your distribution or can be easely installed on most distributions (see http://www.winehq.org/site/download for more help).

To install TheWord simply download the Windows setup from the TheWord-website and run it with Wine (terminal: go to the directory where you saved the setup and type "wine theword-en-setup-2.0.exe" [replace with your package name if you didn't download the english package]). Then you can go through the setup as you would do on a Windows platform. Choose your installation directory and execute the installation.

To start TheWord use the terminal and go to the directory where you installed it. Then type "wine theword.exe" to run it. The first startup will take a short while because TheWord will be building up the indices of the modules.

I didn't check out everything but it seems that the program is running fine on a linux system. Everything is a little bit slower than on a Windows system, that's because the emulation can't reach a real Windows system. But the search is still very fast and as impressive as on a Windows system. What doesn't work is the clipboard monitoring function.

Tested on Ubuntu 5.10 ("Breezy Badger") with Wine 0.9.19.

Greetings,
Johannes

PS: Are you also running TheWord on a Linux system? Please leave us a short message which distribution you are using. Thanks.

Screenshots

Installing TheWord under Ubuntu Breezy Bagder using Wine.

TheWord is running fine.
bernhard.aicher

The Word on Suse 10.2

Post by bernhard.aicher »

"The Word" works fine on Suse 10.2 64 bit under Wine.

But I have still 2 small problems:

1. It is not possible to turn to greek language at file - language - greek. The result is this

2. something similar is happen with the search-function. I can not search in greek, typing greek letters because it prints question marks. To search I have to write a greek word in any editor and than I paste it into the search box.

I belive that wine miss any windows-font, but which one? These are the installed fonts :

I am sure somebody will help me

God bless you
Bernhard :D
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Bernard,
from the screenshots i understand the the app uses an incorrect codepage. I think that under linux there is some environment var that can be used to set the codepage of the app (comes to mind the LANG var). I am not sure how wine uses this. It is not a font problem.
From the screenshots, it is obvious that the program correctly uses the incorrect encoding.

Version 3 of the program is unicode so it should not have this problem at all (not sure if it runs under wine though).

Tell me if you got a solution,
Costa
bernhard.aicher

The Word 3 on Linux OpenSuse10.2

Dear Costa,
thank you for your answer.
I've done a first try today, here is a screen shot form TheWord3 on openSuse10.2 64 bit under wine

the problem searching in Greek is the same, again only question marks, and when I try to copy anything the program stops. With other words, on this distribution the version 2 is working better (except the Greek language)

Ο Κύριος να ειναι μαζί σου
Μπέρνχαρντ
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Bernard,
the "Personal notes" window is really deprecated and it should not work under linux (neither under windows with greek). But as i can see from the screenshot all other Greek (menus etc) work fine.

Let me come to the search window: there is a new 'Virtual keyboard' implemented that allows you to enter Greek (and all other chars). have you tried this?

Costas
t_pearce

Post by t_pearce »

The beta version running under CrossOver 6.2 on Xandros 4

Image[/img]
sisosteven

Re: TheWord and Linux

Post by sisosteven »

The Word version 3 works perfectly under Ubuntu 8.10 with Wine 1.0.1.
As far as I have used it, I did not see any problem at all.
Greets,
Steven
... and The Word was with God,
and The Word was God.
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

Hi,

yes, TW3 works very fine with Suse 11.1 and wine as well.
Only the Clipboard monitoring does not work. Can you help me?

Greetings,
hermann
Gert-Jan

Post by Gert-Jan »

Hello Hermann,

The Word is designed as a Windows program. Running it under Linux via wine works reasonably well, but then The Word cannot catch copy actions outside of The Word itself.

However, inside The Word the Clipboard Monitor seems to work okay. So if you copy first something to the clipboard, and then paste it in The Word (e.g. in a personal commentary module), and then copy it again, the Clipboard Monitor will popup, I believe.
Of course this is not the full experience as offered on Windows, but it may sometimes come in handy.

Regards,
Gert-Jan
bernhard.aicher

Hello,
I am using now Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.3 _Lenny_- Official i386 and TheWord 3.0.0.620 on CrossOver version 8.0.0
The program works fine without any problems. :D
Bernhard

X.Org X Server 1.4.2
Release Date: 11 June 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux Debian (xorg-server 2:1.4.2-10.lenny2)
Current Operating System: Linux deb32pc 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Wed Nov 4 20:45:37 UTC 2009 i686
Build Date: 08 June 2009 09:12:57AM

engellion

Post by engellion »

Ok, I thought I'd post my 2 cents worth...

The Word v 3.1.2.1027 is running very well under Ubuntu 9.10 / Wine 1.1.40.

Install was a breeze. Installed Wine via Ubuntu's Synaptic. Updated to latest version of Wine - 1.1.40. Then downloaded latest version of TW. Right-clicked the TW.exe file and chose "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader" from the pop-up menu. Wine took over the installation and that was it.

Same process with all the modules - download, right-click module.exe and chose "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader".

That was it.

Thank you so much Costa for making a great program.

Cheers.
PaulC

Check out YouTube for theWord Bible Software Tutorial Series 1
A series of introductory video tutorials for theWord Bible Software
Jedidyah

Post by Jedidyah »

I use it on Elive 2.0, a version of Debian Lenny. Download and install was simple and trouble free. So far, so good
evstevemd

Post by evstevemd »

Yeah!, It works on Ubuntu except for bad fonts. I have tried couple of stuffs including winetricks but nope. it is horrible font. Anyone have got solution?
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

evstevemd

Post by evstevemd »

Thanks a million!
It really worked :D
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world