Boolean search in books

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
2theweb4now

Boolean search in books

Post by 2theweb4now »

Hello,

Boolean search in the Bible works great and it is very useful. Can that feature be extended to the book search as well?

Thank you!
DarrelW

Re: Boolean search in books

Post by DarrelW »

Hey Costas,
You see where this is heading (and maybe you already have it on your radar screen somewhere) - a combining of the Bible and Book view searches into one search function, allowing the user to fully select Bibles and/or books (combining the current sets concept in each area into one) based on the same parameters you currently use. I don't think it is too much of a swing to finish the process. :lol:

You are doing awesome!

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

It is in my plans to extend the boolean logic to the book searches, but i don't think it's a good idea to integrate the two,
Costas
2theweb4now

Post by 2theweb4now »

Thank you. It would help a great deal searching through the library of books and would enhance the Bible study a whole lot. Integrating the Bible and book searches would be helpful in many situations, but it has it's own drawbacks. A common search interface with an option to use either the Bible or the book search or both is another possibility.

Thanks again for a wonderful program!
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Actually, the current search implementation was supposed to be a temporary solution until i integrate a full search text engine that would allow instant results even if searching all the library; but it's not there yet.
Costas
2theweb4now

Post by 2theweb4now »

It will be ready tomorrow, right? :) (Maybe not since tomorrow is Sunday. Monday should do. :-)
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

2theweb4now wrote:It will be ready tomorrow, right? :) (Maybe not since tomorrow is Sunday. Monday should do. :-)
well, could be a little more than this to be honest :)
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

Just to keep the idea on the table. Extending to search ability to do extended morph searches (more than one morph tag in a search at a time) would be very nice. I know you have answered this before Costa but this is a huge item on my wish list. :D
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

UBC4ME wrote:(more than one morph tag in a search at a time)
Remind me pls.
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

Costas,

For example if a person wanted to find all the instances of the Granville Sharp rule in the GNT which basically state "When the copulative KAI connects two nouns of the same case, if the article HO or any of its cases precedes the first of the said nouns or participles, and is not repeated before the second noun or participle, the latter always relates to the same person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle; i.e., it denotes a further description of the first-named person." To be able to do this level of search in the GNT it would require the ability combine morph tags in the search. To search for all the instances of a genitive absolute construction, predicate accusatives, and the list goes on and on.
Dave
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

UBC4ME wrote:Costas,

For example if a person wanted to find all the instances of the Granville Sharp rule in the GNT which basically state "When the copulative KAI connects two nouns of the same case, if the article HO or any of its cases precedes the first of the said nouns or participles, and is not repeated before the second noun or participle, the latter always relates to the same person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle; i.e., it denotes a further description of the first-named person." To be able to do this level of search in the GNT it would require the ability combine morph tags in the search. To search for all the instances of a genitive absolute construction, predicate accusatives, and the list goes on and on.
well, i suppose what is missing is ordering, correct?
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

Not sure what you mean by "ordering". As an example Titus 2:13 προσδεχομενοι V-PNP-NPM την T-ASF μακαριαν A-ASF ελπιδα N-ASF και CONJ επιφανειαν N-ASF της T-GSF δοξης N-GSF του T-GSM μεγαλου A-GSM θεου N-GSM και CONJ σωτηρος N-GSM ημων P-1GP ιησου N-GSM χριστου N-GSM

To be able to search for m/T-GSM N-GSM CONJ N-GSM this is the Granville Sharp rule. Having this ability would allow those of us who do extensive study in the original languages a far greater search tool. Hope I am not confusing the idea here. And again Costa it may be something that not many have a need for and I wouldn't want your time taken away from those things that the majority of users need.
Dave
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

Not sure if the above post is showing as unanswered?
Dave
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

UBC4ME wrote:Not sure what you mean by "ordering". As an example Titus 2:13 προσδεχομενοι V-PNP-NPM την T-ASF μακαριαν A-ASF ελπιδα N-ASF και CONJ επιφανειαν N-ASF της T-GSF δοξης N-GSF του T-GSM μεγαλου A-GSM θεου N-GSM και CONJ σωτηρος N-GSM ημων P-1GP ιησου N-GSM χριστου N-GSM

To be able to search for m/T-GSM N-GSM CONJ N-GSM this is the Granville Sharp rule. Having this ability would allow those of us who do extensive study in the original languages a far greater search tool. Hope I am not confusing the idea here. And again Costa it may be something that not many have a need for and I wouldn't want your time taken away from those things that the majority of users need.
Well, you can do this with:

Code: Select all

m/T-GSN AND m/N-GSM AND m/CONJ AND m/N-GSM
but it will return verse containing all these 4 morph codes in ANY order. You probably want verses where these 4 are found in this order, correct? This is why i said 'you need ordering'.
Something like:

Code: Select all

m/T-GSN BEFORE m/N-GSM BEFORE m/CONJ BEFORE m/N-GSM
Costas
but
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

Thanks for the clarification Costas. I think ordering would answer most questions. When you sit down and start thinking this through, the complexity of it becomes quite clear. It would be nice if the present set of boolean / regular expression rules could be used for morph tag searches.
Dave