Highlighting Issue

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
John45

Highlighting Issue

Post by John45 »

Is it possible to make the highlighter remember the last color used after using "None?" The highlighter always loses the last color used, but the underliners don't. I think this would be a useful improvement if it is possible.

John
John
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Highlighting Issue

Post by csterg »

It's added in the 'Last colors used' list, isn't it?
John45

Post by John45 »

Yes, but as soon as you select some text and click on None, the highlighting switches from the color to none as can be seen by the color bar below the highlighter icon. The effect of this is that the next time I want to use the highlighter, I must select the color again. With the underliners, this doesn't happen. Even though I select none in an underliner, it doesn't blank out the underline color under the underliner icon so it is immediately ready for use.

John
John
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Mine seems to be working the way you want it to, it seems to always return to the last color after removing highlighting by selecting none. In fact I can't figure out how to get it to stick on "None" (not that I want to. :D )

If it makes a difference I'm using 1386 on Windows 7.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
John45

Post by John45 »

Interesting. I am also using 1386 on Windows 7.

John
John
JG

Post by JG »

Make sure you are talking about highlighting in the same type of view. Are you both in Bible view?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

JG wrote:Make sure you are talking about highlighting in the same type of view. Are you both in Bible view?
Nope. Sorry. John is correct. I was trying it in a book view. :oops:
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
John45

Post by John45 »

I am talking about bible view.

John
John
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Hi Jon,

I tested in Bible view. One way it keeps the "last color used," and one way it discards it. If no text was selected and I hit "none," then the "last color used" disappeared. However, if I selected some text and hit "none," the "last color used" remained showing the colors.

Hope this is clearer than mud and gives a testing starting point. :D

Roy
John45

Post by John45 »

I just retested this to see if I get the same results as royhieatt. I get the opposite results. If I select no text and click on None, nothing happens and the color remains. If I select some text and click on None, the color disappears.

John
John
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Hi Jon and John,

Its gets more interesting as we go. I have gone back and done more testing on different modules, and cannot get it to disappear at all now. There are two colors showing in the "last used colors" and no matter what I do cannot get them to disappear. 1386 Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Roy
John45

Post by John45 »

Roy,

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I am talking about the bar at the bottom of the icon which shows the active color for highlighting, text color, or one of the underlining types.
The colors in the last used color list do not go away. I have found with the underliners, if I underline something in error, I reselect those characters and click on None in the associated underliner and the underlining goes away, but the active underline color remains what it was. However, with the highlighter, if I highlight something in error or if I want to remove some highlighting, I click on None in the highlighter which removes the highlighting, but is also changes the active highlight color to none or blank. I would like the same action as found in the underliners where the active color does not change. I'm not sure if it is this way by design or not, but that is the way I would like it.

John
John
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Hi John,

Yes, I apologize. I was talking about the the drop down list. I get the same results as you on the icon. Sorry to introduce the confusion into the process.

Roy
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I can see that there is a different behavior between the Book and Bible view.
I think the behavior in the Bible view is the correct one. The 'None' color is a 'valid' selection that should be remembered and i think the Book view highlighter should work like this also. Do you agree?
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Yes, I agree. And this is how MS Word and Libre Office works for highlighting and text colour, so it would be consistent with those apps also.
It is a bit of a twist that the issue that was reported as wrong is actually the correct behavior.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet