Allow bookview and bibleview windows to minimize

Ideas and suggestions about new features
ErikJon

Allow bookview and bibleview windows to minimize

Post by ErikJon »

I use TheWord with three vertical windows on the screen at all times, and all others I keep minimized, in order to reserve lots of screen space for reading. Although the program window itself has a minimize button, the bookview and Bibleview windows do not. I think it would be nice if these windows had them, in such a way that they would simply collapse WITHIN THE SAME VERTICAL COLUMN OF SCREEN SPACE, or else roll up with the "windowshade" effect, in either case, leaving only the "caption" visible. The older versions of Corel Draw had the latter feature on their tool palettes.
Attachments
windowshade 1.png
windowshade 1.png (357.82 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
windowshade idea SMALL.png
windowshade idea SMALL.png (194.65 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
Doctordavet

Re: Allow bookview and bibleview windows to minimize

Post by Doctordavet »

This would be a nice addition. Good suggestion!
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
JG

Post by JG »

This possibility already exists, but Costas has chosen not to implement it. The alternative of using 3 columns in that way is something that I have suggested in the past to "emulate" this feature, and it works just fine.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Thank you, gentlemen. I am content to know that Dr. Dave T would have liked it.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Post by JG »

I liked it also.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

As Jon said I chose to not add this function due to the complexity that was added (not only the visual complexity, but also the complexity related to the feature added to the layouts, e.g. saving and restoring properly the state of the sub-windows)
Costas
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Thanks. I will take your word for it, that it is too complex to do.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This is probably one of the features that troubles me also. I think there has been a beta released that had these but then I removed them because it perplexed users. The think is that an extra minimize/restore button there would seem too difficult for users to understand.
JG

Post by JG »

Could it be an option.

Remember that ISA program uses this still, so it can't be that confusing? :wink:
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

WinAmp also has four buttons in the corner of each window.

But I am sure that Costas has more important features to work on than this one. I just like to toss out ideas when they come, in case he likes any of them.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I enabled the min/max buttons in build 1390 (with the default icons) just to get some feedback concerning the functionality (just in this build). I see that the code has been there all along and I have removed it exactly because it does not add nothing apart from 2 extra button in each book view. But I want to get some new feedback (although I am still negative)
Costas
Rich

Post by Rich »

I enabled the min/max buttons in build 1390 (with the default icons) just to get some feedback concerning the functionality (just in this build). I see that the code has been there all along and I have removed it exactly because it does not add nothing apart from 2 extra button in each book view. But I want to get some new feedback (although I am still negative)
Costas
Costas,
I am running build 1390. I see the icons but they are grayed out and do not function. I have a couple of programs that have this feature and I like it. I don't find the extra icons to be confusing I guess because I have been using that feature. Whatever you think is best.
Rich
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Rich wrote: I am running build 1390. I see the icons but they are grayed out and do not function.
Hi Rich,

I had the same problem when I first tried to dock a view at the bottom. I think it needs to be in an area where the views are stacked one on top of another; the middle left, middle, or middle right. This post may help show what I'm trying to say: viewtopic.php?p=14229#p14229
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
JG

Post by JG »

And here is the explanation in the manual.(bottom of page)
http://www.theword.net/manual/views.htm
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

JG wrote:And here is the explanation in the manual.(bottom of page)
http://www.theword.net/manual/views.htm
Hi Jon,

Is this only in the online version of the help file? I just downloaded the CHM file to see if mine was outdated, and it doesn't seem to be there.

Thanks

Edit: It is in the PDF. I'm just not seeing it in the .CHM
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.