Highlighter does not retain last-used color on restart

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
ErikJon

Highlighter does not retain last-used color on restart

Post by ErikJon »

NOTE: This post was originally made last year, while I was using TheWord version 4 on Windows Vista Home Edition. That computer eventually died, however, and now I am using my back-up computer with Windows XP SP3 Media Center Edition. The point is that the problem described below, which first appeared for me with version 4 on Vista, still occurs in version 5 with XP, although, I must admit, I am using a compact installation, and much of the data in my TW folder has been transferred from one computer to another during the past year.

Original post:

Whenever I restart TW, my highlighter tool is re-set to "none" automatically, while all the other tools retain their last-used color. By that I mean to say that the last-used color is retained in the drop-down color palette, but not in the highlight-button that is visible on the toolbar, which is supposed to change its color to reflect the last used color and thereby allow the user to quickly select the same color without having to search through a drop-down menu or palette.

While I have many more wishes for the color palette and the highlighting tool, in the meantime, I wish it would, at least, retain the last-used color.

Funny thing, however: if I use the solid-underline tool, with a color such as orange, to underline some text in the Bible, and then I re-select the same text and apply "none" to it, the underlining is removed, BUT, instead of displaying "none" as the last-used option, the tool retains the orange color in the toolbar! Moreover, if I select more text, and merely "click" the underline tool, that same orange color is applied, without having to re-select it! Perhaps it is better that way, in the long run, as it will save us a bit of time.
Attachments
TW screen shot 2789.jpg
TW screen shot 2789.jpg (269.69 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
Last edited by ErikJon on Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
Jeff

Re: Highlighter does not retain last-used color on restart

Post by Jeff »

I think this issue has been discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5106
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

When tw is restarted, the last used underline color is remembered. At least this is what i can see here.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

I am sorry that I did not explain myself clearly. I will use a specific example, to illustrate:

This regards Bible view only. If I use the highlighting tool, with "yellow" as my color for marking the Bible text, and then I close TW, my highlighting tool reverts to "none". In other words, when I re-start TW (not reboot) my Bible-formatting toolbar has "none" as the default color for the "highlighting tool." This should not be, because yellow was my last-used color when I closed the program.

Moreover, this happens every time I close the program.

If you look at my screenshot, you will see that the highlighting tool seems to have "gray" as its selected color, but, in fact, this is the "neutral color" used to represent "none." In other words, if I select Bible text and click on the highlighting tool in this condition, no highlighting color is applied to the text.

What I wish, is that the highlighting tool would always RATHER retain the last-used color, if I had, indeed, used a given color before closing the program.

This expected behavior seems to work correctly with the other tools, but not with the highlighting tool.

I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Post by JG »

Could you tell us your operating system and the build of theWord, so I can test in the same situation. There is an issue there as noted in the other link. Let us be sure we are at least using the same build.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Sure.

TheWord v. 4.0.0.1340

Computer:
Sony Vaio laptop VGN-NS140E
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz 55 °C
3.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
244GB Seagate ST9250827AS (SATA) 37 °C
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560S
15.6" screen

Can anyone tell me how to include this info in a "signature," so that it will appear in each post?
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Nevermind. I have just found the spot.

The forum layout makes it difficult to find things, for casual users.

My apologies for being so casual.

JG

Post by JG »

Thanks.
Looks like you found the signature feature. Good idea to do that, as long as you remember to update it.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
JG

Post by JG »

Working fine for me, on Vista and W8.1.

Let us just move on for now, because there has been an update to the renderer that has required many "fixes" here and there in the beta builds. There are still some issues in this area to be fixed in time, and time is the issue, so please understand.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Yes, the reason that I am posting today, after so long, is that the problem persists even on another computer, with a different OS, and with the newest version of TheWord. (See the edit to my original post above for more information).