1420 Downloader

Discuss the beta released of theWord. Submit bugs and ideas concerning the beta releases.
DarrelW

1420 Downloader

Post by DarrelW »

When I select one or more files to download it appears to hang and never install the modules (in this case 2 new ones and one updated). See attached screen shot.

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Re: 1420 Downloader

Post by csterg »

Hi Darrel,
some more details please? At what stage is it hanging? If you select one? Is it when you select an existing module or each time?
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

When I selected a single new install it installed ok. When I selected to update an existing Bible (see screenshot 1 attachment) it hung as shown in the snapshot. If I select a new install and updating an existing install (see screenshot 2) it hangs. So the issue appears to be with installing updates to existing files. I have my modules installed as shown in screenshot 3. My OS is Linux Mint 17 with Wine 1.7. Hope that answers questions.

Darrel
Attachments
Screenshot 3.png
Screenshot 3.png (243.78 KiB) Viewed 7286 times
Screenshot 2.png
Screenshot 2.png (827 KiB) Viewed 7286 times
Screenshot 1.png
Screenshot 1.png (791.96 KiB) Viewed 7286 times
JG

Post by JG »

Darrel,
I have tried this in Ubuntu, and it works. We did have issue with the Bibles in your screen-shot. Perhaps the way forward is just delete the offending modules and download fresh. At the moment it is only you with the problem, or is it that you are the only one diligent enough to report it. I hope both are true.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

There was a change whereas the existing modules are being overwritten (which is the correct thing to do).
Do you think this is related?
Costas
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Hi Jon,

I will be "diligent" and report. :D I just ran the downloader (Win 7 Pro 64 bit version 1420) and it updated three files with no problems.

Roy
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Okay, first addressing Roy - I run Linux Mint 17 not Windows so that is a moot comparison (if you were addressing the current issue :wink:

Now, the issues -
1. I have version 1420 installed. I first tried the same test as before and tried installing Smith's update, and it locked up same as before. When I delete Smith's Literal Translation and install it fresh it installs nicely. When I attempt installing it again over the new install it locks. When I back off to version 1419 and attempt installing it again it installs beautifully! So there is something in build 1420 that is not playing nicely on my system!

2. Remember the issue with Gill's commentary always showing as having an update and both you and Jon said I must have more than one version installed someplace? Well I did a complete and thorough search of my hard drives again, and again the search showed ONE version installed in the General Books directory. I backed off to version 1417, did the upgrade again - and low and behold it installed the upgrade and now does NOT show an upgrade available. So that tells me there was something introduced in build 1418 and forward that was not "seeing" Gills as being current!

So I am not nuts, and Jon I can't help it that your Ubuntu install does not have the same issue. I have proven to myself that something from build 1418 on caused both issues to take place. If it was a problem with my setup then the issue(s) would have been there all along and not cropping up starting at build 1418. Where do we go from here? Understand I am not mad or upset or anything, just loving the product and appreciating what both of you bring to the plate.

Darrel
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

One final not - when I go BACK to version 1420 it shows Gill's as having an update available, even though 1417 showed it as being current.

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

Darrel,

what version is it you have http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
I will try to install it and test.

In the meantime can you test a compact usb installation (that is what I have in Ubuntu) and just test with the offending modules, so this would be something I could repeat. Might need your offending modules also.

I have noted some other points to Costas, such as, we need to know the exact file and location/s that are being flagged (because another module could have the same id and a different filename), and we need the choice of which ones we want to update (or at least we can deal with the situation). We could have user highlighting in a module that would be lost if it was overwritten with the latest version... etc
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hi Jon,
I am running a compact installation now, with everything in the same directory. So when you look at screen shot 3 (the last one shown where I showed you the directory shot) everything is under "/home/darrel/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/The Word". Is that what you are wanting?

Okay, just to be certain I created a new directory called "Test" under Program Files )x86) and installed the basic TW install, which just installed the KJV Bible. I then pulled up the Downloader and installed the KJV. The app prompted me that that Bible was already installed and did I want to overwrite it. I answered yes and hit Download and install - and the system promptly hung as described previously! If I back off to version 1417 it does the update nicely! So again the problem started with version 1418!

I am running Linux Mint 17 with all updates, Wine 1.7.27, and KXStudio with all updates.

Darrel
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Jon,
As a final point the "offending" module is the official KJV from the basic TW install, then replacing the current official TW version with beta 1420 exe.
JG

Post by JG »

I have Mint 17 64 bit running.

I did a normal install and tested with 1420, no problems.
I am not sure that /home/darrel/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/The Word, is a good location for a compact usb installation as write access is needed and as you are aware, in Windows, data like that is usually kept in the ProgramData folder. I suggest
/home/darrel/.wine/drive_c/Desktop/twtesting

Make sure that in theWord program installer you have compact and usb checked.

So I will repeat an install of the current release to this location and then use 1420 as you have and see what I get.

By the way, Mint was a lot easier to install than Ubuntu, as was Wine and all the bits and pieces it needed.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Wow!c Jon, I installed outside of the program fiules directory and everything appears to be working! I will need to do more testing, but it looks good. Thanks! By the way did youi install KXStudio? It makes a lot of things play much nicer, particularly Jack if you do any audio work.

Darrel
JG

Post by JG »

That is good news Darrel. I only installed all the Wine apps I could see.
What is good here is to have Windows 8.1 on one screen and a Virtual Machine of Linux Mint 17 on the other both running a copied compact install so I can see how both behave.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Ok, the only issue remaining is John Gill's exposition. The Downloader continues to show it as having an upgrade even after installing the upgrade. If I back off to version 1417 it works perfectly, but 1418 and following does not. And yes, I have install TW outside of program files as we talked previously.Is there a problem with TW starting with version 1418 or is there a problem with Gill's Exposition?

Darrel