Application hang when indexing read only .ontx file

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
snakyjake

Application hang when indexing read only .ontx file

Post by snakyjake »

I installed a new Bible to the Bible folder. theWord started indexing the new book. The indexing window took hours, without any application activity. I then noticed several recent .tmp files were being created from the .ontx file. theWord never completed the indexing, and I terminated the application.

Later I found the reason. I had the .ontx file attribute set as read-only. I imagine a similar problem would occur if the user account didn't have write permissions.

beta 1425
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Application hang when indexing read only .ontx file

Post by csterg »

Can you provide more info on how to reproduce this?
Which Bible?
How did you make the .idx file read-only? Was it already there?
snakyjake

Post by snakyjake »

This is for installing a new Bible "New King James Version", nkjv.ontx.

I made the nkjv.ontx read only before starting theWord. After starting theWord for the first time with the new Bible, theWord attempted to index the book.

After making the file writeable, and restarting theWord, theWord completed the indexing, the timestamp on the file changed, so did the checksum. So the indexing changes the file.

The only thing I don't like about this is authentication; I have to trust whomever is doing the indexing, and indexing was the only thing they changed.

OS = Windows 7 x64
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

OK, i see what you are saying. theWord assumes that the .ontx file is writeable - i will see how i can add a fail-safe mechanism there.