X warning encountered from IE-9 while downloading TheWord

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
csterg
Site Admin

Re: X warning encountered from IE-9 while downloading TheWor

Post by csterg »

Thanks Jon
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

This warning message happened when I attempted to install updates to the modules. TW detected several out-of-date modules, and connected to the web-site in such a way that:
theword-setup-dyna.exe
was built.

There was a complaint about running a script.

Then when I attempted to install the "dynamic" update, the warning "X" message appeared.

This happened with both Win-7 and the Win-10 "Technical Preview".

I was able to find the option to "ignore the message" and "Run Anyway". TW works ok.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi Lynn,
i am not very clear, I don't understand where the error was. At the site? At your PC?
Costas
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

Given that the source is trusted, you know it is, and you are downloading because you want the file, I don't' get all the fussing (and the made up statistics!).

You can ignore it, turn of (Not So ) Smart Screen, use another browser, reduce your security settings to 'normal', or not download the file. It's your choice. I recommend you chose one of them. :-)
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

petrosd wrote:Given that the source is trusted, you know it is, and you are downloading because you want the file, I don't' get all the fussing (and the made up statistics!).

You can ignore it, turn of (Not So ) Smart Screen, use another browser, reduce your security settings to 'normal', or not download the file. It's your choice. I recommend you chose one of them. :-)
I know, trust, and love theWord. However, if I wasn't already using theWord, and was looking for and trying out new Bible software, I would be likely to skip over downloads that threw up all kinds of warnings at me. In that case I might not ever know what I was missing by not using theWord. I don't think that any software developer who wants his software to be used would want potential users turned away by warnings. I also want as many people as possible to use theWord. So, while I'm personally not affected by this, I get the "fuss", and I don't know what statistics you're talking about, I just see people giving their experiences and I don't believe they're making them up.

For what it's worth; I temporarily switched to IE, and I am now using MS Security Essentials. I tied the look for updates from the menu. I got a message, "Internet Explorer restricted this website from opening scripts or ActiveX controls." I clicked "Allow blocked content" and it told me I had no updates to modules or language files. Then I tried downloading theWord, it asked me if I wanted to run or save the program, I clicked "save" and it started downloading. I get basically the same messages with my Pale Moon browser setup. So it seems okay to me, but I didn't have a dyna update to install. (Win 7).
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Things get more complex all the time. I am really sorry that browsers now seem to 'control' what is being downloaded by scaring users away from legit software. The situation is even worse with anti-virus false alerts... I have received several emails latery with false alerts and i am really unable to do anything. And as Jeff said, most users will trust their paid AV program than theWord... Not sure how i could handle this
Costas
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

petrosd wrote:Given that the source is trusted, you know it is, and you are downloading because you want the file, I don't get all the fussing (and the made up statistics!).

Jeff wrote:I would be likely to skip over downloads that threw up all kinds of warnings at me.
It's not "all kinds of warnings". It's one warning. And it's caused by using Smart Screen and downloading a file not previously downloaded and/or not often downloaded by other Smart Screen users and marked as "OK". It's probably also because it's an ".exe' file (but I can't' test that scenario).
Jeff wrote:I don't know what statistics you're talking about, I just see people giving their experiences and I don't believe they're making them up.
"TW could be losing half or more of it's downloads if people encounter this message."

SmartScreen is.. let's say "problematic". It tends to panic people unnecessarily. I think that's counter-productive because people tend to stop using it or insist there must be something "wrong' with the software they're downloading and not the filter system they're using. If the latter, there's a tendency to insist that the software company "fix" the problem. The problem can be easily "fixed' by using one or more of the methods I suggested.

I hope that clarifies. :-)
Last edited by petrosd on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thanks