How to create your own download package

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
csterg
Site Admin

How to create your own download package

Post by csterg »

The mechanism that is used to create the download packages for theWord is dynamic and allows one to create arbitrary packages on the fly! This means that anyone can create links that allow dynamic packages to be downloaded that include any number of modules.
The links have the following form:

Code: Select all

http://www.theword.net/files/setup/getmulti.php?f1=file1&f2=file2...
where file1, file2, etc are the files that you want to get in the package.

For example, the following url will download an installable package that includes the KJV and the WEB bibles:
http://www.theword.net/files/setup/getm ... eb.ont.exe

Two things to note here:
1. The actual file you get when you click on the above is an installer with the name theword-setup-dyna.exe. No matter what is included in the installer , the filename is always the same.
2. To find out what are the actual file names that correspond to the individual bibles (e.g. the kjv.ont.exe corresponds to KJV), you can go to the Modules download page and hover your mouse over the links there and see the last portion of the links.

Advanced
What is more interesting is that you can include in your custom package theWord itself (the software), not just modules!
In order to do that, you need to include a file called tw3main.exe and the main config file called config.ini.
For example, the following link will download a package that includes theWord, KJV and WEB:
http://www.theword.net/files/setup/getm ... eb.ont.exe

Notice here that the 2 files tw3main.exe and config.ini were combined in a single f1 section of the link: this was made because we want the installer to only present a single option for the end user when asked which components he wishes to install (this is only for the main program, don't use it for others).

Example: A link to download a small Spanish package
http://www.theword.net/files/setup/getm ... 9.ontx.exe

Contains: theWord, Spanish language files (both, ES and INT), RV1909 with Strong's numbers.

Notice: The actual .exe files that correspond to the spanish language files were found from the Program translations page

You are welcome to create you own custom packages at this thread with collections you find useful for others (and of course add comments!)
Costas

P.S.
Just to know, this is what the main package includes that is downloaded from the home page:

Code: Select all

f1=tw3main.exe,config.ini,theword-manual-setup.exe, brazilian.lng.exe, bulgarian.lng.exe, chineseSimp.lng.exe, chineseTrad.lng.exe, dutch.lng.exe, finnish.lng.exe, german.lng.exe, greek.lng.exe, italian.lng.exe, polish.lng.exe, slovak.lng.exe, spanish.lng.exe, thai.lng.exe, spanish_es.lng.exe, hungarian.lng.exe, russian.lng.exe, afrikaans.lng.exe, catalan.lng.exe, czech.lng.exe, danish.lng.exe
f2=kjv.ont.exe
f3=netfree.ontx.exe
f4=tr.nt.exe
f5=wlc.ot.exe
f6=Mickelson's Strong.dct.exe
f7=Robinson's Morphological Analysis Codes.dct.exe
f8=International Standard Bible Encyclopedia.dct.exe
f9=Treasury of Scripture Knowledge.cmt.exe
Costas
bchigham

Re: How to create your own download package

Post by bchigham »

Thanks much, that is very handy. I tried a couple of Spanish downloads, and it worked like a charm.
Bruce
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

Very nice and very useful! :D
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
Teleios

Post by Teleios »

Costas-

You never cease to amaze me! What a great idea! I was just thinking about putting together a basic package that I could recommend for people to install and then I find this post. This will make it really easy to do.

Thanks!

Dave
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

Costas,

I don't know if there is a work around for this or not but I thought I would ask if there is a chance there may be. Where I work it is required to have local administrative rights to run an .exe file. I can download modules from theWord site but am unable to run he .exe for the installation. Is there a way to get the modules in the native form? Thank you for all your hard work
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

UBC4ME wrote:Costas,

I don't know if there is a work around for this or not but I thought I would ask if there is a chance there may be. Where I work it is required to have local administrative rights to run an .exe file. I can download modules from theWord site but am unable to run he .exe for the installation. Is there a way to get the modules in the native form? Thank you for all your hard work
You can install the latest beta version: there is a new function 'Install Modules': you just drag-n-drop the modules there (the .exe file you download) and they get installed WITHOUT running the installer,
Costas
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

Thank you Costas.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
Rubén Gómez

Post by Rubén Gómez »

Is it possible to do the same with version 4 (changing to tw4main.exe does not seem to work)? Also, is there a way to install the program directly in Spanish (i.e., the installer itself and, afterwards, once the program has been installed, to have it in Spanish by default, rather than English)?

Thanks!
Rubén Gómez
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Ruben,
the file tw3main.exe contains version 4, so it should be the same.
By default, theWord starts using the PC language: so if it run in an English PC, it will start like that.
Costas