Fonts on Wine (Linux) look ugly

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
toconvertvid

Fonts on Wine (Linux) look ugly

Post by toconvertvid »

I just installed theWord on my Linux Mint 17.1, Xfce, 64 bit partition (via Wine). I installed a compact mode. I copied everything over from my Windows backup so I'd have my exact setup as I have it in Windows.

The problem is that, although the fonts and sizes are listed as being the same as I have in Windows, they look ugly. The Bible text font seem like it's in bold, and the book font looks very thin. I have Times New Roman used for both.

(Yes, I had previously downloaded Microsoft fonts for Linux.)

EDIT:
For the Bible text, as a workaround I changed the font to Noto Serif, and made the font size one smaller. It's now acceptable.
RubioTerra

Re: Fonts on Wine (Linux) look ugly

Post by RubioTerra »

Yes, this bothers me also. I guess Wine doesn't implement all Windows font rendering features. Also, Linux doesn't render fonts as well as Windows does. It still has to improve on that.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

download winefontssmoothing by executing wget http://files.polosatus.ru/winefontssmoothing_en.sh and then run the program and select option 3.
toconvertvid

Post by toconvertvid »

Does anyone know why Linux fonts don't show up in theWord's list? In my Windows copy of TW, I used Times New Roman as the font for my verse notes. The Linux equivalent for that is Nimbus Roman, and I'm thinking that would look better than Times New Roman, when running TW in Wine. But that is not included in the drop down list of fonts. Is there a way to use it in TW running under Wine?
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

I think my list is showing all the fonts available in Linux. Frankly, I think any font will probably look bad without the font smoothing program. I think it enables anti-aliasing for the fonts.
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

mathetes wrote:download winefontssmoothing by executing wget http://files.polosatus.ru/winefontssmoothing_en.sh and then run the program and select option 3.
Yes, anti-aliasing makes things much better, but not perfect yet. Font rendering in Linux itself needs improvement. I use Linux at work and Windows at home and the difference is clear. Even clearer when I run a Windows VM inside Linux and compare the rendering side by side.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
Chirpz

Post by Chirpz »

Hmmm..... first off, if you are running a dual boot system, allow yourself only ONE installation of theWord and let it be in Windows since it is native to that system. Get it all set up and tweaked to perfection. Make the installation easy to find. Mine is locate at C:\theWord. Don't allow windows to bury it somewhere as windows like to do.

Next, boot up Linux. Linux should see the windows file system. Start theWord from the windows folder. Most of the problems will melt away. You also have the benefit of having only ONE installation of theWord. Notes that you take using Linux will still be right there when you are using Windows.

You could actually do the same thing using a thumb drive and move it from computer to computer and retain everything, but using a thumb drive slows things down a bit.